The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

2nd pick seems fair to me. That could be the difference between Byram/Dach/Turcotte & Krebs/Soderstrom or whomever.

Would suck to not have a 2nd, but if they could move Sutter or someone & get another 2nd Id do it. 

Not really apart from size. Boldys faster/better skater. More of a goal scorer. Vilardi is probably closer to Dach, but Dach is probably faster too.

If it was our 10th overall and our 2nd round for Byram, I would do it

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Caufield has a limited ceiling??

I think his poor skating limits his ceiling to that of a very good AHL player.  I don't see him, because of his poor skating platform (too narrow) as an NHL player.  If he was heavier I could see him as okay.  I wonder how he is going to get up and down the ice, play in his own zone, and get to scoring areas.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I  have concerns about three names I'm hearing could be players available for us at 10:  Zegras, Soderstrom, and Caufeild.  IMO, these three are likely bustaroos.  There will be other options for us at 10 who have higher ceilings and lower bustaroo potential.  Podkolzin, Seider, Broberg, for example are all way higher ceiling players than those first three, and have really low bustaroo concerns.  Why take a guy that has a limited ceiling and is a high bustaroo?    

I think Broberg and Podkolzin are two of the biggest boom or bust examples. Potential for greatness but also a big chance that they don't reach their full potential. Soderstrom has a lower ceiling than Broberg but I think a much higher floor.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think his poor skating limits his ceiling to that of a very good AHL player.  I don't see him, because of his poor skating platform (too narrow) as an NHL player.  If he was heavier I could see him as okay.  I wonder how he is going to get up and down the ice, play in his own zone, and get to scoring areas.  

He's not a poor skater just average. The problem is, players of his size really need to be 'elite' skaters to have their skills translate. Those who have been saying its not a big issues (no pun intended), name one player who's been tiny in the NHL who's an average skater and have been impactful? I can't think of one, we don't need another Jordan Schroeder. So many comparing him to Debrincat, but the latter is an elite skater playing with Patrick Kane. And as you've mentioned the issues that will arise in his game because of his size, are not helpful for us in the playoffs, this kid ain't mitch marner

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

They should be looking at taking on a 'bad' contract. This team needs assets badly & we have the cap space to do it.

Problem is the cap went up to, what, $84 mill?

Teams may want to move contracts. But they are not likely to be desperate with that extra room...

Carolina and NYI's made such deals with Chicago a few years back. But they would have been in cap non compliance. Had to shed cap, or they could not field a team. Teams this year only will not improve as much as they like! For example, how dumb would it be of Edmonton, after missing play off's two years straight, to give up a 8th overall pick as CDC pundits reckon is the bar for taking on Lucic?  They'll plod along, as well, if the price is Puljujarvi.

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Haven't followed him enough to judge his skating, but the way you've described him makes me think of Reid Boucher. The guy can score goals and has 62 goals in 68 games in his last year of junior, but never amounted to much cause he didn't have another gear and didn't provide much else. I'm going to assume Caufield will be better than Boucher, but I think it comes down to the right fit for him to excel and I just can't see that being here.

I really like that Dach showed up top 10 on both agility & the peak power Wingate tests at the combine.

A big man with power and agility is very hard to stop! 

The Wingate peak power, IMO, is the single best measure or test of hockey specific athletic superiority.  Followed closely by the mean power, the ability to successive bursts of power over what would be the duration of a long hockey shift. 

Cozens shows up in both tests, a phenomenal athlete! 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I do not agree at all, his skating is fine. Edge work could use a little work to up his mobility a bit but that will just take time. He has given scouts no reason to doubt that he will be an impact player at the NHL level and that's why his ranking continues to climb.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

His skating 'concerns' are becoming overrated imo. He gets around the ice fine.

• Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

His skating 'concerns' are becoming overrated imo. He gets around the ice fine.

How many 160 pound 5’7” guys who skate fine star or even play in the NHL.

little guys who have only fine skating don’t play in the league.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:48 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

Are you saying a hobey  baker winner is better than a 3rd line C?

hobey bakerr.PNG

A lot of players MUCH worse than NHL 3rd line Cs in the list of hobey baker winners.

A lot has changed in the last 5 years. Just look at the winners since 2014.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Can't touch the US kids, all college commits and any favoritism or development has to be out of pocket. I could see Krebs or the Swedish D making it over though. We did this in '17 with Pettersson/Glass, I don't believe we flew anyone over in '18.

Newhook is going to Boston College next season same with Zegras. 

Boston College games will be fun to watch with those two playing together.

Edited by HockeyHarry

10 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The rationale would be the player you take with the pick has more upside.

First of all, I dont think a team would give up a 1st for Gaudette. But lets say your offered 20th or 21st overall & Seider is still on the board, are you not making that move? Youd have to atleast strongly consider it.

Gaudette has shown he is an NHL level forward and he’s just scratching the surface. His upside is still high.

Think AG is being undervalued on CDC. My opinion.

I don’t know enough about seider to make a proper decision on that. But with what I do know about Gaudette for sure and the little I have seen and do know about Seider I would say no.

if our scouts think Seider has top pairing D potential with a very high belief in him achieving that and we made the trade id accept it. But it would be a very risky move   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1