The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rick Nash Unsure He Will Return to NHL Next Season

Rick Nash Done?

May be a good move for a guy who has made a ton of $$ but also had a few concussions.  I wonder if we will be seeing more of this with players now that more about head injuries is learned.

Free agent Rick Nash unsure if he’ll return to NHL next season

Play Video
Play
Mute

Loaded: 0%

Progress: 0%
-1:59
ShareFullscreen

Rick Nash to skip free agency, NHL return in question

HC at Noon reacts to the developing news that Rick Nash is unsure whether to return to the NHL, needs time to figure things out, and will not engage with teams when free agency starts.

Chris_Johnston1-115x115.pngChris Johnston@reporterchrisJune 28, 2018, 12:13 PM

Free-agent winger Rick Nash is unsure if he’ll return to the NHL next season, agent Joe Resnick told Sportsnet on Thursday.

The 34-year-old needs time to consider his options and won’t engage with teams when free agency opens on Sunday.

“He’s not ready to make a decision and teams need answers for personnel decisions,” said Resnick of Top Shelf Sports Management Inc. “He wants to be fair to the teams.” 

Nash finished last season with the Boston Bruins and suffered a concussion after coming over in a deadline day trade from the New York Rangers.

The former first overall pick is believed to have received multiple offers for significant dollars since the free-agent interview period opened on Sunday.

Nash has a young family and is expecting another child.

He will get the "itch" to play as training camps start to open. He will miss the smell of the fresh ice, and the boys in the room.  All players miss those things and more, right?  If teams are offering him contracts to play, he will play.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He will get the "itch" to play as training camps start to open. He will miss the smell of the fresh ice, and the boys in the room.  All players miss those things and more, right?  If teams are offering him contracts to play, he will play.  

Quick I need this weekends Lotto Max numbers. You are a psychic, right?

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Mike Fisher didn't retire due to injury concerns though.

Just now, Sedinery33 said:

Maybe the team he really wants to play for hasn't spoke to his agent yet

This guy is playoff kryptonite. Any team that signs him automatically deep sixes their playoff chances if they make it. If Rick Nash comes a knockin', don't answer the door.

2 hours ago, Xbox said:

Mike Fisher didn't retire due to injury concerns though.

Yup the league is trending in such a way that if you’re 33... you’re probably one of the oldest 2-3 guys in the locker room.  I honestly don’t see there being more than maybe a dozen 35year olds in the league 5 years from now. The young guys are too fast and too good.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Wait.......what?????????? ::D

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I played hockey for a decade, and not once can I say I miss the smell of the boys in the room.

1 minute ago, Bitter Melon said:

I played hockey for a decade, and not once can I say I miss the smell of the boys in the room.

:lol:  Bad grammar for sure!!!!,  :lol:

Miss the smell of fresh ice.  Miss the boys.  Better?  :gocan:

I imagine it may be like with Willie Mitchell in 2010?

Won't sign till, or if, he gets a clean bill of health?  And lets him, albeit probably for what money is left over, sign with a team very cognoscente that he wants to tread carefully!

But he has stated his goal is to still win a Stanley Cup! It may be a beneficial set up to a contender. Who can spend most of their money on building a true contender. And use Rick as a final puzzle piece for a bargain.

He might even sign in Jan or February, like Fisher last year in Nashville, versus put himself through the rigor of a whole season? To a team that clearly looks a chance...

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I imagine it may be like with Willie Mitchell in 2010?

Won't sign till, or if, he gets a clean bill of health?  And lets him, albeit probably for what money is left over, sign with a team very cognoscente that he wants to tread carefully!

But he has stated his goal is to still win a Stanley Cup! It may be a beneficial set up to a contender. Who can spend most of their money on building a true contender. And use Rick as a final puzzle piece for a bargain.

He might even sign in Jan or February, like Fisher last year in Nashville, versus put himself through the rigor of a whole season? To a team that clearly looks a chance...

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he signed somewhere mid-season to a smaller contract just to try and win. Take on a role and doesn't have so much of the team's success on his shoulders. He'd be a nice side piece at a bargain deal.

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He'd be a good complementary piece in Pittsburgh. 

Oh man, imagine that.  Guentzel - Sid - Kessel, then Nash - Malkin - Hornqvist.  Or swap one of the wingers (Nash - Sid - Kessel, Guentzel - Malkin - Hornqvist) and that would be a solid blend of size/ strength, two-way game and scoring that would be tough to handle.  After dealing Sheary and shedding cap, wonder if they would go back to the veteran route (Guerin, Hossa, Iginla...)

Archived