The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Romantic Love - fate or choice?

Mainly Mattias

Are you guys hopeless romantics that believe in destiny partners and soul mates? Or do you believe love is a choice people make and continue to make throughout their relationship?

I am a romantic but believe love ends up being a choice continuously made. I have no faith in the longevity of relationships, marriage or no marriage.

I've only really liked one person.  I was thinking about him today, and the good times we had.  I dated him several years ago, and met him at the crosswalk on Capitol Hill in Seattle.  I was skateboarding around midnight and was at a crosswalk beside him and his friend waiting for the crosswalk to change.  They said hi, I said hi, and we exchanged numbers.  I texted them both that night, and found that I had more in common with one than the other, and began dating him.  He was from Seoul, South Korea, and was here for English.  We would go out to eat, he would come over to play Mario, drink wine, and watch Sonic Youth videos with me.  My cat liked him, I liked him.  I even tried teaching him to skateboard once by pulling him down the hallway, and boy was he freaked out! It was funny! He went for a week to NYC, and brought me back a Luigi keychain, and told me that he thought of me when he saw it, and that I liked Mario so much.  I thought that was the nicest thing, something simple.  

Then he went back to Seoul, and before that, he asked me if I wanted to continue our relationship, and I told him no, that I did not do long distance relationships.  After he left, I realized how much I really liked him. 

Now, I really don't date.  Once in a while, and the last date, last year, was not a good experience, and I laugh at that date, so in a way, that may have been a good experience.  Realizing that is not what I am looking for.  Maybe if they speak Brilac, I may consider it, like Dinners at Purple, float plane to Victoria for Lunch, that really nice seafood restaurant in San Francisco, day trips to whatever sounds nice, and when I asked them if they like the Habs, they are going to tell me truthfully how they really feel, instead of lie to me, and when I think that matching Canucks tattoos or Habs tattoos is a great idea, they are going to agree, and think that is a great date. Oh, and I will ask what's in their closet, for an idea of their organization. 

I think the concept of "soul mate" works as part of the underlying romanticism needed for a long-term devoted partnership to work.  Most girls like the romantic stuff as part of their narrative and to be treated as if they were characters in those stories.

In a sense it also makes the choosing to stay with someone easier in the long haul (given that they don't become complacent before that, which is hard in itself, but I digress).  While reality does set in, and often it does become a commitment, at least as a starting point it's great to have that spark. 

I've come to believe that we're put in the places we're meant to be when we're meant to be, even if that reason isn't clear immediately. I believe that we're put in this places to be given the chance to grow into the people we want to be. If you can grow into that person you'll one day meet the person you want to be with.

I wouldn't say I believe in that person being your soul mate. But that you'll end up with the person you'd want to be with, being the person you've worked on becoming.

I believe that love is a choice and one you have to make everyday. I think some people spend too much time looking for "the one" like there is that perfect person just for them but there's no such thing as perfection. We all have flaws, quirks, bad habits and idiosyncrasies that separate us and I believe we have to choose to accept those in the person we love. Me and my girlfriend are almost totally opposites about everything and our differences cause us to clash now and then but we choose to see the good in each other even though sometimes its hard.

33 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

One more outburst and I will strangle you with my microphone wire 

But the worst thing is: that Me, Fatty, Sideburns Lady, and the mutants over at Table 9, will never ever find a way to better the situation, because apparently we have nothing to offer the opposite sex. Now let's cut this stupid cake cause I know the fat guy's gonna have a heart attack if we don't eat again soon. 

my wife hated sports. complete opposite of me. a few years after she died, i hooked up with my high school sweetheart. she loved sports as much as i did. but it didn't take long for me to realize that we were never meant to be. our marriage would have never lasted. i've had lots of lady friends, but only my wife could have  been my right soul mate. my wife told her girlfriends after the first night we met, that i was the man she wanted to spend the rest of her life with. i couldn't even remember her name the next morning. i can't imagine  spending 43 years with anybody else.

I don't believe in soul mates. Hell, I don't really even believe in souls. I used to though, once upon a time.

In a world of billions there are countless people we could connect with, there are so many people we could have chemistry with that we never encounter let alone see. I've met quite a few people I've clicked with that could likely become something but I've poor luck when it comes to women and they almost always live in another province/country/ect. Romance requires a fair bit of luck and love requires a lot of work and commitment. You've often gotta have things work out right for romance to be set ablaze and that's often beyond a person's control, you've really gotta have lady luck on your side.

As for love, once the initial butterflies fade (and they almost always do) love becomes a choice. People are difficult, relationships are hard. The more you get to know someone the more things you discover and you're not going to like all of em. That person will frustrate you, hurt you, drive you up the wall. There will be good times and bad. Sooner or later loving someone comes down to the conscious choice of loving them. And I know it sounds like I'm stating the obvious there but a lot of people will know that bit without really understanding it. It takes a lot of guts and hard work to stand firm and be like "You know what, I know this person isn't perfect and maybe I can do better, ect but I'm going to work on loving them every day".

Choice.

I’m sure there’s someone in Spain, Czech Republic, South Dakota, etc that would compliment me just as well as my wife does.

Don’t get me wrong, we both love each other and have zero intention to leave. But there’s billions of people in the world.

10 hours ago, Mainly Mattias said:

Are you guys hopeless romantics that believe in destiny partners and soul mates? Or do you believe love is a choice people make and continue to make throughout their relationship?

I am a romantic but believe love ends up being a choice continuously made. I have no faith in the longevity of relationships, marriage or no marriage.

Its both. You need to be lucky to meet that soul mate and then stay committed to it once it happens. My wife and I have been together for over 20 years and we're still like goofy kids together, but we also carve the time out to keep things lively. That means saying no to a lot of things so it can just be us together. Many couples we know, maybe the majority come to think of it, have got lazy and let things lapse and there's a number of divorces or even worse just brutally distant "for the kids" relationships going on in our circles right now. 

Definitely a choice. The older I get the more I feel like navigating relationships/marriage is just a huge costs/benefits analysis and at any given time you're just trying to make the best decision for yourself and your (emotional, spiritual, financial) security. 

I have been very jaded as of late, I'll admit, but I just don't believe much in romantic love anymore. Love's not enough anyway. There's more to a relationship than that. 

Archived