The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why so many mononucleosis cases for hockey players?

Heh... NHL, CHL, OHL, QMJL.... and all of the hockey world.

I am a hockey fan.  I think hockey has come a long way. It has evolved for the better. There is one thing in sports that I think needs to be rethought about.

Especially in hockey!

Can you guess what might be the cause of mononucleosis?

PLEASE STOP SPITTING, hacking, and blowing your phlegm onto the ice surface!

I believe spit on the ice is preserved with the virus and is incubated once reattached to its next victim.

It does not add to the sport of hockey, and it is simply discusting if you think about it.

Most hockey players think they need to spit onto the ice. Why? Is it to prove how maculine they are?

Hmmm. So many kids and professional hockey players are getting sick with mono.

Its not classy.

Improve your hygienic practices!

Anyone remember that chick like 10 years ago who used to post here who used to keep track of all the Vernon Vipers shes been with.

In her signature it was like

"Vipers I've piped: 11"

I hope someone remembers and can describe it better than I can.

Anyways. Moral of the story.   

That's why.

Wonder is shes married now.  Poor guy.

Yeah honestly there is just a ton of physical contact and bodily fluid all over the place. It is brutal for most diseases. You remember the mumps thing? And half those guys had their shots for that too. 

Blood, sweat, spit, water bottles. Mouthguard to glove. Glove to a guys face with an extended facewash. Not to mention spending 24/7 with a bunch of people in enclosed spaces in airplanes, buses and locker rooms. Extended periods of stress and adrenaline are also really hard on your immune system. I am surprised that there isn't far more sickness among players honestly. Its a testament to the medical and dietary teams that keep them going strong. 

56 minutes ago, Mr.hockey604 said:

I believe spit on the ice is preserved with the virus and is incubated once reattached to its next victim.

Seems counterintuitive. Spit on the ice is most likely to freeze shortly after contact, there by freezing the virus. From Wikipedia, I found this:

Viruses frozen in water are likely to be inactivated by the water's relatively low pH. ... He adds that viruses are more likely to survive in a frozen state if they freeze and thaw only once, as the freeze-thaw process kills at least 90% of virus each time. But even if the virus survived, unless a player is getting down and licking the ice, I can't see any way for spit from the ice to find its way into another players mouth. Mono is spread through saliva, whhic could come from kissing, but could also come from sharing a water bottle, a swig of beer from the same bottle, a toothbrush or sharing a bite of the same food.

59 minutes ago, Mr.hockey604 said:

Most hockey players think they need to spit onto the ice. Why? Is it to prove how maculine they are?

Not at all. If you've been skating flat out out for a minute, you are breathing hard and your respiratory tract not only dries out, but seems to clog up. Swishing water in the mouth replaces fluid and rinses the guck that accumulates in the mouth and throat. Simple clearing/cleaning procedure.

I would start by wearing those doctors masks on airplanes, for anyone sick or getting sick or who doesn't want to get sick.

I flew back from Toronto recently and landed with a terrible flu. I'm going to try the mask next time. I hate getting sick not worth it.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Sharing more than water bottles?  https://www.healthline.com/health/mononucleosis

“The virus is spread through saliva, which is why some people call it “the kissing disease.”  :sick:

the new core is pretty close knit , but what are they doing in the dressing  room? before/after the game, between periods :o:shock::P::D

10 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

Anyone remember that chick like 10 years ago who used to post here who used to keep track of all the Vernon Vipers shes been with.

I hope someone remembers and can describe it better than I can.

Anyways. Moral of the story.   

That's why.

Lmao damn hope I have a son 

12 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

Maybe she married a guy who isn't so insecure about his prowess in bed that he needs his wife to be a virgin so that she has no lovers to compare him to.

Archived