The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trouba for Tanev

The Jets & Trouba are $3 million apart as an RFA:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news.

Trouba's agent says he has come down from $8 mill to $7 mill.

Trouba is being too greedy & The Jets really don't have any room in their salary structure to set the president of overpaying their RFA's.

So a solid trade could work here for the Jets.  I would over Tanev straight up for Trouba.

Right side D for right side D.

Trouba gets injured as much as Tanev.

Tanev is locked  in at a reasonable cap hit.

Jet's fans say Trouba doesn't put up enough points for the money he wants.

Trouba is 4 years younger than Tanev so we would have to add sweetener to the package.

16 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

This is so 'last week'. Don't you know that CDC is no longer trading Tanev. Brandon Sutter is today's 'must trade' veteran. Also, it is compulsory for someone to retain 50% of salary and there must be a 4th round pick involved.

You forgot to protect that 4th round pick!

Wonder what type of deal it would take to sign him, 6 x 6.25?

It's an interesting proposition, Tanev fits the playing style of the Jets.
I think something like Tanev + something like Gaunce and a 2nd would be a good start. I can also see Tanev waiving to play with his brother

I remember watching Trouba's WJC play and thinking of a young Chelios. He's been a bit overshadowed by others in Wpg, but based on his ongoing contract problems, I'm now thinking post-2011 Kesler.  Would he be worth the big contract, esp. the latter years? Is Trouba's agent Kirk Overhardt?

With his numbers, Jets are probably more than comfortable going into arbitration with him.  Assuming they win, it gIves them one more season to evaluate him before they make that commitment.  Not sure when he becomes UFA though, then he'll have more leverage.

Yes his agent is Kirk Overhardt.

I think his latter years should still be effective.

He's only 24 so a 6 year contract would only run until  hes is 30 so we shouldn't anly Kesler our Lucic type issues.

Also being a D he will probably be effective for a longer time like Edler.

Aren't you just exchanging problems for different problems?

He got 3 goals at 21 assists last year.

8 goals and 33 points the year before. and only 55 and 60 games the last two years.

Isn't this a lateral, and more expensive move, and 3 years from now people will want to trade him anyways?

This was discussed on HF and most jets fans were saying they would want a lot more than just tanev. Like our first rounder this year. Personally wouldn't want to give up any significant assets beyond Tanev. Not sure the jets would do this as they are looking to contend now.

6 hours ago, CharlieChan said:

Trouba is being too greedy & The Jets really don't have any room in their salary structure to set the president of overpaying their RFA's.

So a solid trade could work here for the Jets.  I would over Tanev straight up for Trouba.

Trouba is 4 years younger than Tanev so we would have to add sweetener to the package.

Soooo, you want to give up the Canuck's current best Dman for a guy who wants what would make him become far and away their highest paid player, who's fanbase thinks he would be overpaid based upon production and who gets injured a lot.....and you want to add a "sweetener" to the deal too boot.    

What part of this am I missing that makes sense for Vancouver?

39 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Soooo, you want to give up the Canuck's current best Dman for a guy who wants what would make him become far and away their highest paid player, who's fanbase thinks he would be overpaid based upon production and who gets injured a lot.....and you want to add a "sweetener" to the deal too boot.    

What part of this am I missing that makes sense for Vancouver?

Exactly.  Tanev is the better player, especially considering the cap dollar.

3 hours ago, babalu said:

This was discussed on HF and most jets fans were saying they would want a lot more than just tanev. Like our first rounder this year. Personally wouldn't want to give up any significant assets beyond Tanev. Not sure the jets would do this as they are looking to contend now.

BE06289C-CCB7-46FD-8CE9-B57C1AA9309C.jpeg

7 hours ago, CharlieChan said:

Why would we pay 7 mill per year for Trouba - if he would even sign? And you admit yourself that he can’t stay healthy, why would we admit his massive 8 mill ego into the dressing room?

I agree with trading Tanev, but for a pick(s).

Trouba has a little better value, but is unsigned and asking for a lot. Even with some certainty since he's an RFA, that still evens things out.

But that's not even the problem. Why would Winnipeg trade Trouba to get back another RHD, one who could be behind Byfuglien and Myers, yet still be the third highest paid D. I'm sure they could target a better LHD option rather than look for this kind of return.

8 hours ago, CharlieChan said:

I would really like Trouba 6'3, 24 in a Canuck Jersey....This guy would be very good but 7 million would be on the high side.. Guess he would be worth between 5.5 million - 6 million ?

Archived