The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Interest in Alex Edler

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Eagle has been very steady these last two seasons. Bringing a renewed sense of purpose to his play. Playing big minutes, blocking more shots than anyone else in the league, hitting like a truck, and jumping up in the play.

He's the longest serving Canuck on the roster, and truly a bridge between the past and the future.

If he's open to a trade, I hope Benning gets the most he can for Edler, and then re-signs him in the off-season. If not, I hope Benning re-signs him.

I'm down either way, we need him to block shots but bigger question is if he wants to come back. 

If there is a great deal of interest in Edler, then I think the Canucks have to at least explore the idea with him since he has final say.  I could see Edler being willing to waive in this situation unless something in his personal life takes precedence over going to a contender for a chance to win the cup.  While that's possible (and I don't think there's anything wrong with that), I do see Edler being more willing to go for a short term particularly where his future with the Canucks is less certain.

It would be awesome to see a list of teams that have serious interest in Edler. Based on the speculation, I can see the Canucks wanting a combination of a high pick and a solid RHD prospect since they're quite thin in that area.  Not sure if Tampa would want to swing a deal for Edler but Cal Foote comes to mind though I don't think Tampa would be keen to let him go.

23 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Even up I prefer moving Tanev. Like to see Eddie re-upped for 2 - 3 years. Edler has a nice combo of physicality and offence. Tanev has injury issues and no offense. 

I agree to keeping Edler, but if a really good return comes our way, then JB (if Edler agrees) should seriously consider it.  Tanev is a player we could certainly get more in return for, but I do see needing his defensive acumen for bringing along a guy like Hughes.  Either way though, the more (high) picks at the coming draft the better. 

We need Edler going forward. He simply eats too many tough minutes and we have no one to replace that yet. That said,  if Eddy wants to try to win a cup somewhere at the deadline go for it. I would instantly cheer for that team. Re-sign him in the summer. If Hainsey got a second two years ago at the deadline. Eddy is worth a first. Take it our leave it. He would be a huge add to a team going for it. 

Edler is our best D man as it stands & would make any contender that much better . It seems good or descent D are few & far these days , also he’s not in a huge complicated contract , so the ask would have to be a handsome return , more than just a prospect or a 2nd rounder or both for that matter + GM’s still go back to that Hall trade .

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Something tells me Edler will only sign off on a trade if he gets some wink wink nudge nudges from management that they'll look at bringing him back.

On the other hand, if management doesn't want him back then he's moving on regardless.  His NTC gives him the opportunity to choose where he wants to go (as he has already said, in fact), and like with Burrows, could even work out an extension before a trade is done.  The alternative is that he hits free agency then goes through all of that, for better or worse.

23 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

On the other hand, if management doesn't want him back then he's moving on regardless.  His NTC gives him the opportunity to choose where he wants to go (as he has already said, in fact), and like with Burrows, could even work out an extension before a trade is done.  The alternative is that he hits free agency then goes through all of that, for better or worse.

True, he can get a leg up on going to his next destination by just letting us trade him. With what I assume is a full NTC I imagine it'll be hard to find a team that wants him and that he wants to go to. Hoping a deal gets done, assuming we fall down the standings like most predict. Don't want another Hamhuis situation if only to avoid hearing about it on CDC for months and months afterwards.

I see a lot of posts about Edlers diminished value and how he always seems to be the goat here. 

However on a team with better d core than us.. which is most haha. He would be a solid shut down style player. Especially if taking a 3 4 role with less ice time. 

Effective shot blocker, and would probably play more confidently in a 3/4 role. 

Benning is gonna want all the picks possible for 2019. 

Hopefully Eddy follows burr and Hansen and does us a solid at tdl.

2 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Anyone who thinks we could resign Edler for less then 5 mill per year is delusional. 

No, they really aren't. The guy &^@#ING LOVES it here. He's aging, and I'm sure he'd be willing to take a discount to stay and play with the upcoming youth, and hopefully make another run at the big prize. 

21 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

The possibility of Pittsburgh showing interest in Edler this early could be a great thing for us.

Any buzz created this early only serves to improve potential returns.

Honestly, this buzz is just the media. Reading the tweets, it doesn't even say Pitts is interested, but more so what the writer believes would be a good fit. The extension talks, or lack there of, again is just the media trying to stir things up and trying to get a response from the Canucks management on whether there have been talks or not. I mentioned last year that the media didn't really even get a sniff of the idea that we were looking to extend Gudbranson until under a month before the trade deadline and signed him just before, so I'm not buying what they're selling.

37 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

True, he can get a leg up on going to his next destination by just letting us trade him. With what I assume is a full NTC I imagine it'll be hard to find a team that wants him and that he wants to go to. Hoping a deal gets done, assuming we fall down the standings like most predict. Don't want another Hamhuis situation if only to avoid hearing about it on CDC for months and months afterwards.

I'm not too concerned about a Hamhuis situation. We got low-balled and Benning said forget it and the next deadline was amazing for us. You will never be able to avoid the unnecessary whining on here anyway no matter what happens.

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Eagle has been very steady these last two seasons. Bringing a renewed sense of purpose to his play. Playing big minutes, blocking more shots than anyone else in the league, hitting like a truck, and jumping up in the play.

He's the longest serving Canuck on the roster, and truly a bridge between the past and the future.

If he's open to a trade, I hope Benning gets the most he can for Edler, and then re-signs him in the off-season. If not, I hope Benning re-signs him.

I think Benning has some leverage on this one. Its a pretty easy conversation to have with his agent about verbally agreeing to a final contract now thats maybe a 3 year deal vs a 2 year, if Edler agrees to waive to help get some assets for the rebuild. If not, then Jim can wait and see what happens in free agency and doesn't have to lock into any term with him. There will be other options for veteran D in July. There will be some decent players available: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2020/caphit/all/defense/ufa

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think Benning has some leverage on this one. Its a pretty easy conversation to have with his agent about verbally agreeing to a final contract now thats maybe a 3 year deal vs a 2 year, if Edler agrees to waive to help get some assets for the rebuild. If not, then Jim can wait and see what happens in free agency and doesn't have to lock into any term with him. There will be other options for veteran D in July. There will be some decent players availablehttps://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2020/caphit/all/defense/ufa

90% of those players wont make it to UFA

4 minutes ago, coryberg said:

90% of those players wont make it to UFA

but some will. Just saying there will be some veteran options, there always is. The other bargaining chip Jim has to get Alex to do a waive and re-sign is Seattle expansion, protection for that would be worth a lot. He's not going to get that anywhere else. That might just be the grease that convinces him to agree to a short leave for a playoff run, if he's guaranteed to play out his last 3 years in Vancouver. 

Archived