The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Everyone in St. Louis is available

The_Rocket

18 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

If Chiarelli gave up this much for Griffin Reinhart, how much would he give up to bring local boy Parayko home?

Edmonton Oilers acquire Date New York Islanders acquire
Edmonton_Oilers.gif Griffin Reinhart
June 26, 2015
2015 1st round pick
2015 2nd round pick 
New_York_Islanders.gif

If he valued Hall for Larsson, then it's got to be McDavid for Parayko.

30 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I think St. Louis would want more than the Islanders got in this deal. We would need to offer more IMHO.

Calgary Flames acquire Date New York Islanders acquire
Calgary_Flames.gif Travis Hamonic
2019 conditional 4th round pick 
June 24, 2017
2018 1st round pick
2018 2nd round pick
2019 conditional 2nd round pick
New_York_Islanders.gif

More?

There are saleable qualities such as size & shot. And the allure of the old school prototype of what an NHL D's body should look like. In Parayko.  And I admit he's a good D man.

But Hamonic is better. Can skate, turn defensively, move the puck, still big, just not as.  Among the top hybrid or two way D in the league. 

22 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

If Chiarelli gave up this much for Griffin Reinhart, how much would he give up to bring local boy Parayko home?

Edmonton Oilers acquire Date New York Islanders acquire
Edmonton_Oilers.gif Griffin Reinhart
June 26, 2015
2015 1st round pick
2015 2nd round pick 
New_York_Islanders.gif

But even Hamonic added to a strong D core did not make Calgary a strong play off team right away. The assets lost slowed any puch of prospects for 2 years.  And a better trade where they improved their speed on D (Hanifin) & up front (Lindholm) for slower Hamilton & Ferland. Parlaying Hamiltons ''better'' scoring and size into what is actually a more dangerous team.

And of course once guys are drafted, you best wait till guys prove they are blue chip before surrendering this, after the fact, laughing stock high price for Reinhart.

And the point; neither a good performing Hamonic, nor poor performing Reinhart made the Oilers or Calgary immediately dangerous as a cup team.  Parayko would not make us immediately a contender either. Both those teams slowed their development by getting into the buyers market with youth too early.  

FTR, even though Parayko is good?  (He is)  He is a Tortorella style defender. Take up space, block shots, a big shot for big forwards to get tips and rebounds! One reason St Louis is disjointed?  Young guys like Kyrou & Thomas, prime guys Tarasenko also want to play at speed.  They don't do that with D like Edmundson or Parayko. Just because he is younger, does not mean he's a better pick up for teams.

He is not the prototype for what we want.  We want a guy with the speed to run our thoroughbreds! At pace faster than previously possible? Let us play a wide open game. Spring Goldobin, Dahlen,  Baer, give them space on the break. Lord knows what we can get out of Pettersson if he can already go for 5 or more points a game...

A guy who can keep up with Hughes.

Pietrangelo in Toronto on the other hand?    

18 minutes ago, rekker said:

Could of had Parayko at the draft in 2012. But oh wait......we got Alexandre Mallet. What a brutal pick and an overager at that. FFS. 

Yes that was brutal....such a horrible draft pick. Looking at it now there was Damon Severson, Colton Parayko, Esa Lindell and Shayne Gotisbehere all available just after Mallet.

Hindsight is quite painful actually, makes me a bit sick to the stomach to see how different things could be. Its also the beauty of drafting. If you do your due diligence and have a good AHL program your team can benefit so much.

1 hour ago, Dombrova22 said:

We already have a logjam at forward, plus more prospects up and coming.

We need defense, and badly. 

Yeah, but we're really light on left wing, especially with Baer being a question mark going forward. Obviously D is the concern, but if there's a deal to be made for a young, top 6 left winger, we have to look at it.

1 hour ago, The_Rocket said:

Am I the only person who thinks parayko is overrated?

hes a fantastic defensemen but I don’t see how he worth 4 assets. Joulevi easily has parayko potential by himself. Maybe add a pick due to the fact joulevi has some risk associated with him but that still seems really steep to me. Would rather sit tight

A solid skater with a 6'6" 230+ pound frame tends to get people excited. Can't say I've watched him much but he did make Canada's (albeit) WC team last year. 

18 minutes ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

Yes that was brutal....such a horrible draft pick. Looking at it now there was Damon Severson, Colton Parayko, Esa Lindell and Shayne Gotisbehere all available just after Mallet.

Hindsight is quite painful actually, makes me a bit sick to the stomach to see how different things could be. Its also the beauty of drafting. If you do your due diligence and have a good AHL program your team can benefit so much.

You brought up the other misses that year and I puked up a little in my mouth. Mallet. FFS. 

Most trades suggested in this thread neglects the fact that we’ve only just begun to have some depth in the organization. Dealing away a pick or two, a prospect or two etc. a) nullifies that depth b) simply isn’t worth doing for the players on Blues roster. 

We should deal Sutter and maybe Edler to a contender instead. 

11 minutes ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

Yup.

Speed, size, skill. Some minor warts, components that were not fully developed at draft age. Which is why they were available past the first.  But in reality that is also the last year where multiple good D assets were left on the table for later rounds. They are getting snapped up earlier now. That type of athleticism bread some great defenseman. The top teams, see Anaheim (maybe not top this year), Nashville keep drafting good athletes on D.  And keep producing a % of them into highly valued commodities.

I was screaming at my TV set watching the draft. Severson! Severson! MFW Severson!  Not that he ended up the best of the bunch. Just who was on my radar.

Gillis picked an overager to ''speed the rebuild.'' 

LOL, Somehow we ended up with Pouliot out of it. Who was rated higher than all at that time.

What happened too Tarasenko he was on the up an up but us all of sudden on the down an down.. 

Watch as Perron is shipped back to Vegas 

I wouldn't mind Vince Dunn maybe a pick and player like Tanev.

I would like Sanford but Jim Benning has his eyes on Bozak in free agency but I feel like if we go for a center they'll ask for Guadette.. maybe Guadette for Sanford.

Archived