The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 10, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, Canckelhead said:

I contacted Shaw Cable this morning to tell them the Service I pay for from them failed me again last night. The only reason I have Shaw is for the Canucks games and again they failed me.  They offered me a 1 day refund..... yes 1 day refund... I took it.  What a fn joke. 

It's ridiculous.

After waiting 737 hours on hold for a rep.  

Glad I did get to see some of it.  Just at the right time, as they picked things up a bit it seems.

1 hour ago, Laheys Liquor said:

Lol. Did you even watch the game last night? Are you serious right now?
& Did you watch any of the games last season at all? You know where he was going to get 40 goals playing without EP before getting hurt?
He's nearly a point a game. What more do some of you guys want out of the guy? Can't believe people are talking about trading him and trashing him. The guy is a class act. 

And I thought he looked fine last night for the record. 4 shots and plenty of nice plays.

Agree. 

To the nay sayers, Boeser was a breath of fresh air last season. When he was relatively unknown, before Christmas, he took advantage but as the season wore on and he was checked more closely, his production slowed.  I think this season is a continuation of that.  But look, 14-14-28 +5 in 33 games is pretty damn good.  0.85 ppg this year, 0.89 ppg last season.  He's had his bumps.  Bad groin, wicked bruise on his hand and it is his sophomore season.  

I think another factor is perception.  EP is such a bright light, it diminishes the merely very good.  Not worried, Boeser is the real deal and the present and future 1RW

Also didn't see the game due to Shaw.

Would like to thank the posters for describing the game and how it went.

A couple of thoughts:

Goldy - By being put on the top line ahead of Baertchi and being put on the #1PP, there has to be a few things going on. 1) He is being showcased for a trade soon or 2) He is being given one last ride to show whether he has the ability to stay in the NHL. He is not in there to win games. It appears TG is growing tired of his downfalls as he is usually riding the pine by the end of the game.

He has no doubt, pure offensive skills which he shows sporadically throughout a game. The problem is that he is not improving other aspects of his game and shows the lack of "mental toughness" as displayed by missing countless chances at scoring. He is a typical "one dimensional" player and that just does not cut it in todays NHL. A main reason why the Twins had to hang up the skates as they still had offensive skills to contribute.

Boeser - I really believe he is still injured because he is one of those guys who wants to perform every night and I believe his body is not letting him do what he wants to do. Maybe he should sit out awhile and get healthy. Guys are coming down on him but I think its a combination of nagging injuries and him still trying to learn how to be a regular NHLer.

The problem after the last road trip was that some were using the excuse that the team was "tired" and they just needed a rest. It appears by some of your descriptions of the game that they did not come out flying. They were still flat and played uninspired most of the game.

So my question is, where is that character and leadership the team was displaying at the beginning of the year? Every shift was playing hard and the goal scorers were scoring and the hitters were hitting. Where is that now?

We all know EP plays like that every game but where is everyone else?

I am thinking a lot of things are not making sense because why is Pouliot playing over MDZ or Biega? Why is Ericksson still playing, period? Why is Goldy playing on the top line instead of Baertchi? and why do our players continue to get these injuries which last longer then what we anticipate them to be?

Maybe it is the "Stealth Tank" on I don't know but it definitely makes you go hmmmmmmmm!!!!! ::D

One last thing. I totally expect absolutely nothing is going to happen to Matheson next game. I am making the prediction now that I bet he does not even get body checked for the whole game.

5 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

did you watch the first period of the game both teams were garbage, what i typed is probably what i mean.

what you mean is a team that does not get 1 shot in the first 15 minutes of a game is well coached

1 hour ago, mll said:

Green in his post game said he didn't think Goldobin played all that well at 5v5 - he liked him on the PP though.

Yes I saw that too but i don't make the connection on how that would impact three on three.

I would think you would be playing to Nikolay's offensive strength in OT. I have to hope Green is thinking offense in OT and not the 200ft. defensive game of 5 on 5.

1 hour ago, aliboy said:

I didn't see the game because of the sportsnet/shaw issue, but if they are giving up on Goldy, they should let him get the easy points and build him up into something good to be traded at the deadline. Tearing the kid down does nothing. I'm still of the opinion that he brings a level of passing and play making that is hard to find and I agree with JB that he sees the ice very well, perhaps only second to EP40. It is sometimes worth it to suffer some shortcomings to keep that kind of talent. If Green can't be patient, then he should be told to build the kid up for a trade.

With Sutter, Granlund and Edler taking regular shifts in OT is Green playing for the tie here?

How can both Motte and Goldobin sit, Motte has the wheels and determination while Goldobin highly skilled with lots of ice has wheels to create. Why not play Goldobin to his strenghts which as you suggest makes for better trade fodder or establish a legite top six going forward.

Absolultey baffling!

32 minutes ago, 6string said:

With Sutter, Granlund and Edler taking regular shifts in OT is Green playing for the tie here?

How can both Motte and Goldobin sit, Motte has the wheels and determination while Goldobin highly skilled with lots of ice has wheels to create. Why not play Goldobin to his strenghts which as you suggest makes for better trade fodder or establish a legite top six going forward.

Absolultey baffling!

Sutter has a good shot.  OT suits him.  Playmaking is not really a factor in OT with that much open ice.  

Goldobin's shooting percentage is 7% on the season.  Again this game on the PP he had several opportunities and he can't seem to convert.  He's also not the strongest at getting the puck back.  

3 hours ago, aliboy said:

I didn't see the game because of the sportsnet/shaw issue, but if they are giving up on Goldy, they should let him get the easy points and build him up into something good to be traded at the deadline. Tearing the kid down does nothing. I'm still of the opinion that he brings a level of passing and play making that is hard to find and I agree with JB that he sees the ice very well, perhaps only second to EP40. It is sometimes worth it to suffer some shortcomings to keep that kind of talent. If Green can't be patient, then he should be told to build the kid up for a trade.

I think goldy didn't play in OT because his defensive game is still very suspect. It would only get magnified on a 3 on 3 where it's even more difficult to gain posession of the puck. One of the biggest issues with goldy is that i dont think I've ever seen him win a puck battle. All his points have come when the canucks already have possession of the puck. Playing goldy in OT might pay off if the canucks change lines while they have possession and his line scores or he jumps off when they lose possession but if he is stuck on the ice, watch the canucks be hemmed in their zone defending until either a goal or a whistle. 

I'm actually encouraged by what I've heard from Green. I think he knows there's a lot of talent and the defensive side will come with maturity and more attention to detail and they are working with him on that. They haven't given up on him yet. He could be a better version of Baerstchi

1 hour ago, spur1 said:

Goldy will get 1 more season. 

At the start of the season Benning talked about how they had several guys that had to make the jump and establish themselves as regulars or be left behind - Leispic, Goldobin, Pouliot etc.  Not sure how much more patience they will have.

11 hours ago, mll said:

At the start of the season Benning talked about how they had several guys that had to make the jump and establish themselves as regulars or be left behind - Leispic, Goldobin, Pouliot etc.  Not sure how much more patience they will have.

Yes Leipsic is already gone and the other two have the combination of neither of them improving and others are coming behind them and playing better. They are replaceable. If JB can find a taker, they will be gone by the end of the season. I think Sutter is in that boat as well as he has become expendable with the play of Gaudette and Beagle.

2 hours ago, Battlemonger said:

Sutter for a contender's first rounder is fair. It would be a later first round pick. Sutter is still a good third line center for a contender. 

Even a late first is a steep price to pay for a guy that is injured 40% of the time.

I like his game but he plays hard minutes and his body is disintegrating around him.

2 hours ago, Battlemonger said:

Sutter for a contender's first rounder is fair. It would be a later first round pick. Sutter is still a good third line center for a contender. 

No way that happens.

sutter is a 60 game player and could easily melt into injury in the post season.

but of course go Jim go.!

16 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Also didn't see the game due to Shaw.

Would like to thank the posters for describing the game and how it went.

A couple of thoughts:

Goldy - By being put on the top line ahead of Baertchi and being put on the #1PP, there has to be a few things going on. 1) He is being showcased for a trade soon or 2) He is being given one last ride to show whether he has the ability to stay in the NHL. He is not in there to win games. It appears TG is growing tired of his downfalls as he is usually riding the pine by the end of the game.

He has no doubt, pure offensive skills which he shows sporadically throughout a game. The problem is that he is not improving other aspects of his game and shows the lack of "mental toughness" as displayed by missing countless chances at scoring. He is a typical "one dimensional" player and that just does not cut it in todays NHL. A main reason why the Twins had to hang up the skates as they still had offensive skills to contribute.

Boeser - I really believe he is still injured because he is one of those guys who wants to perform every night and I believe his body is not letting him do what he wants to do. Maybe he should sit out awhile and get healthy. Guys are coming down on him but I think its a combination of nagging injuries and him still trying to learn how to be a regular NHLer.

The problem after the last road trip was that some were using the excuse that the team was "tired" and they just needed a rest. It appears by some of your descriptions of the game that they did not come out flying. They were still flat and played uninspired most of the game.

So my question is, where is that character and leadership the team was displaying at the beginning of the year? Every shift was playing hard and the goal scorers were scoring and the hitters were hitting. Where is that now?

We all know EP plays like that every game but where is everyone else?

I am thinking a lot of things are not making sense because why is Pouliot playing over MDZ or Biega? Why is Ericksson still playing, period? Why is Goldy playing on the top line instead of Baertchi? and why do our players continue to get these injuries which last longer then what we anticipate them to be?

Maybe it is the "Stealth Tank" on I don't know but it definitely makes you go hmmmmmmmm!!!!! ::D

One last thing. I totally expect absolutely nothing is going to happen to Matheson next game. I am making the prediction now that I bet he does not even get body checked for the whole game.

The Nucks are too soft to trade big hits with most teams, including Florida. This is the only aspect of the rebuild I don't support. For the last few years I would gladly have traded higher picks and a tougher league presence for a few meaningless wins. As much as I despise Winnipeg's dirty style, I envy their overall toughness.

Archived