The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] TDL/play off spot. Who stays.

Even if we are not holding a play-off spot at the trade deadline the Canucks won't be sellers! The only way they sell is if they have a 6 or 7 game winless drought like November. But considering injuries and a tough road schedule helped that and the easier part of their schedule is here they will probably have a better second half of the season. I could even see Elias getting 45 to 50 points in the last 37 games. A clip he has been on pace for if you subtract the November stretch with-out Brock. 

Besides the obvious (talents: Pete, Bo, Brock, guys with contracts in Marky, Sven, Roussel/ Beagle, Eriksson, guys doing well in Leivo, Virtanen and Motte) I think Eddie and Tanev would stay along with the kids in Hutton and Stecher (not really distinguished talents to merit big returns), while someone like Sutter and Goldie could be moved (could keep Gaudette up long-term, Goldie due to lack of fit).  Wouldn't mind seeing Guddy moved if another physical presence can be acquired, and MDZ and Pouliot can go also, along with peripheral guys like Granny.  Moving of under-performing vets for picks and assets would be great to complete a San Jose style retool.     

I think we are sellers either way. Although we have been decent its pretty evident that without petterson we are lacking scoring. What we were hoping was that Brock would be able to pick up the slack which for the better part has been average. thats no knock on Brock because he is still only in his second year and coming off a major injury. There is no doubt down the road he should/will be able to do so but the timing just isnt right. That being said , who else could we rely on? I like Bo and Sven but they just arent first line guys. When healthy a first line of Petey, Brock and (insert whoever) followed by a second line of bo and sven is definitely decent, it still can and does need to improve. Im somewhat scared that upper management (owners) may think this is good enough. We have key places in place but i still think we could use another high draft pick before we really say " hey, now we really push for a playoff spot and see what our boys are made of". with Quinn coming in there is no doubt that that adds another piece that we sorely need but at the same time while these current boys grow we need another wave of young promising guys to fill out our future roster. Id say at the very least try and trade edler for maybe a high second or late first round pick. sign him back in the off season if he is willing. that would be ideal but who knows. keep tanev as he is still in his prime. possibly explore moving sutter (although i really like him as a third line guy) and if you can get a prospect for him, do it. Guadette is definitely an NHL player and eventually will be able to do at least what sutter is doing now. In the mean time beagle should be able to fill in. just my thoughts. yours?

Assuming we’re in a playoff spot the only guys I can see them moving out are Del Zotto and maybe Goldobin. Just can’t see them subtracting important roster peices if they’re in the hunt for a spot. Which means forget about Edler or Sutter or even guys like Granlund. If they’re valuable to the push and us winning games then they likely keep those guys.

If we are a few points out of playoffs, 5+ points then we should be a seller so February is kind of a tough-ish month due to road games with just 2 home games during that stretch but after that, 3 days off then only have a few of home games before TDL.  So it is kind of an important stretch.  It all depends on how EP does when he returns from injury. I also feel that we need some depth so if EP is hurt often due to target on his back then we need some depth to combat that.

Other than Gagne, MDZ, or a minor trade (a pick for depth player), I don't see a trade. It's best to let the team decide its own fate and learn from it. This is the first year without the Sedins. If they make it, it will be a huge confidence boost. If they miss by few points, it will be a motivation for the players to train hard and come back strong.

Hughes will most likely join the team near the end of the season and he will play over Pouliot and Pouliot will replace MDZ as the depth defenceman.

I think if we make a trade, it should be in the offseason. I think the team will have to decide on Tanev, Goldobin, and Sutter. 

Gaudette's progress coupled with strong play from Beagle makes Sutter a surplus at this point. There may not be many takers for him though given his salary. His suitors would be contenders but not many contending teams can take 4.3 million dollars in salary. 

Tanev situation is a bit more tricky. First, he may not want to re-sign. Two, we may go after a UFA defenceman in the offseason, in which case, even if he wanted to come back, we should trade him and get something back.

Goldobin is an RFA. I don't know if he is in the plans moving forward. Personally, I would like to keep him for at least one more season because our LW depth is so poor, but that depends on how much money he wants. 

we finally have centre depth, why trade sutter. if they want gaudette to play centre, i'ld rather see sutter on the wing than  goldobin. with the number of injuries we get each year, lets keep our 5 centermen. i don't think you can have too many pivots.  i hope goldy turns into a player, but i don't think he fits this team.  we still have jake trying to  become the player we  all hope he becomes. we need a goal scoring left winger to go with petey and brock and another linemate with bo. 

although we have players who can play up the line up, most are really 3rd and 4th line players. we may have those players in the system but most are not ready yet. 

7 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Getting rid of Sutter would be amazing 

I have to admit. Sutter was a useful cog in that line last night. I really like Roussel and Virtanen together. Ideal line imo would be Roussel Gaudette Virtanen imo.

I love how Jake is learning how to be a pest playing with Roussel. 

Shipped out: (NHL)

Markus Granlund, Michael Del Zotto.

Brought up: (AHL/NCAA)

Zack MacEwan, Quinn Hughes.

Other move options:

Sam Gagner, Nikolaj Goldobin, Derrick Pouliot, Erik Gudbranson, Brandon Sutter. 

Last 3 are likely kept for remainder of the season could be off season moves. 

Archived