The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Erik Gudbranson to Penguins for Tanner Pearson

HerrDrFunk

I'd say Pitt and Van did alright on this string of deals - although Pitt arguably lost fairly significantly on their original prices paid for guys like Brassard - if you include what he cost in the chain of deals, the McCann/Bjugstad deal isn't quite as good.

Florida and L.A. = not so much.

Flipping McCann - and Bjugstad - for a (late round)  2nd, 3rd, pair of 4ths - in the end (after the Brassard for 3rd flip) - isn't great valueon either of them imo.

Moving Pearson for Hagelin, who returned a 3rd and 6th - is pretty poor value/return on Pearson imo = L.A. sold low.  Depending on the player that Pearson continues to be here, a late 1st, 2nd might not be bad value for him.   Then again, I'm not in the anything-to-get-picks camp - and particularly when good NHLer are flipped for longshot, low percentage mid round picks.  I'd be happy to 'accumulate' them - but not when it's at the cost of players like Pearson, Gudbranson, McCann, Bjugstad.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, coryberg said:

He was only defending himself here, for a dangerous late hit he made.  Crapped the bed on pretty much every other occasion to make a difference for one of his teammates.  He was terrible on this team.

• Like 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, xereau said:

He was only defending himself here, for a dangerous late hit he made.  Crapped the bed on pretty much every other occasion to make a difference for one of his teammates.  He was terrible on this team.

Great guy by the sounds of it but I'm sure he would admit it just didnt work out here. He was downright brutal this year except for a game or two. I like that JB cut his losses. I wasn't happy with the return but boy was I wrong. Pearson's production may drop off but maybe it won't. Him and Bo look great together and out team is better off moving forward. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, rekker said:

Great guy by the sounds of it but I'm sure he would admit it just didnt work out here. He was downright brutal this year except for a game or two. I like that JB cut his losses. I wasn't happy with the return but boy was I wrong. Pearson's production may drop off but maybe it won't. Him and Bo look great together and out team is better off moving forward. 

It really is quite remarkable (the turn around). You can say the same for both players, although I didn't follow Pearson's season closely until we acquired him. But Gudbranson was absolutely brutal for us besides a few fights, big hits and physical presence. Seeing him holding his own in Pittsburgh, being a plus player and chipping in with a goal the other night, it's nice to see but it makes you wonder what the difference is? Is it purely confidence? I keep hearing the "systems" talk but when you're talking about an "off the boards and out" type defenseman that Gudbranson is, I'm struggling to understand what kind of "system" they're playing over there in Pittsburgh that Gudbranson is benefiting from. My only guess is the forwards support the defensemen more.

Back to Pearson, if he can score 20 goals for us next year, that would be huge. He turns 27 in August, so he's not old by any means. With the addition of Pearson and Levo and hopefully one more legit top 6 winger for Bo, our forward group will start to look a lot better. Plus, who knows, maybe Goldy figures it out this summer and actually becomes a player for us. There's always one or two surprises every year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

It really is quite remarkable (the turn around). You can say the same for both players, although I didn't follow Pearson's season closely until we acquired him. But Gudbranson was absolutely brutal for us besides a few fights, big hits and physical presence. Seeing him holding his own in Pittsburgh, being a plus player and chipping in with a goal the other night, it's nice to see but it makes you wonder what the difference is? Is it purely confidence? I keep hearing the "systems" talk but when you're talking about an "off the boards and out" type defenseman that Gudbranson is, I'm struggling to understand what kind of "system" they're playing over there in Pittsburgh that Gudbranson is benefiting from. My only guess is the forwards support the defensemen more.

Back to Pearson, if he can score 20 goals for us next year, that would be huge. He turns 27 in August, so he's not old by any means. With the addition of Pearson and Levo and hopefully one more legit top 6 winger for Bo, our forward group will start to look a lot better. Plus, who knows, maybe Goldy figures it out this summer and actually becomes a player for us. There's always one or two surprises every year.

During one of Pearson's interviews, he said that Pitts and Van play really similar systems which is why he got really comfortable early. I think Pitts forwards are just skilled enough to get to loose pucks faster / know where to be to support their players because of experience. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, westcoastsniper said:

During one of Pearson's interviews, he said that Pitts and Van play really similar systems which is why he got really comfortable early. I think Pitts forwards are just skilled enough to get to loose pucks faster / know where to be to support their players because of experience. 

Not so sure Guddy is really playing that well. Being a plus player on a good team doesn’t say much. He scored a nice goal last game but also got turned inside out by Lee and was on for a goal against on the counter attack. Only watched the highlights though, will watch the game tomorrow. 

2 minutes ago, J-P said:

Not so sure Guddy is really playing that well. Being a plus player on a good team doesn’t say much. He scored a nice goal last game but also got turned inside out by Lee and was on for a goal against on the counter attack. Only watched the highlights though, will watch the game tomorrow. 

That was a big miss by guddy but 6 inches the other way and Lee would have been the one who literally got turned inside out. :P

• Cheers 2

May just be the difference of playing on a veteran, playoff hardened experienced team with two of the best players in the world vs a rebuilding team.

Pearson got more of a shot on the wing with Bo because our lack of depth and quality on the wing. 

Guddy is getting a shot on a better team now.

It was very disappointing what we got from him here though not all of that was under his control.  He was brought in to shore up the D during the end of the Sedin era and well that just didn't happen.  Sutter is pretty much the same story at another coveted position.  Time for Benning to do the same thing with him.

Not impressed by Guddys game today. Clearly #6 on D and would get much less time if they didn’t coach the pairings quite evenly. 

No hits, no clean zone exits, gives the puck away constantly, hardly keeping up - glad we moved on. 

1 hour ago, J-P said:

Not impressed by Guddys game today. Clearly #6 on D and would get much less time if they didn’t coach the pairings quite evenly. 

No hits, no clean zone exits, gives the puck away constantly, hardly keeping up - glad we moved on. 

We was really never that good the whole playoffs. Sullivan will shelter him, give him offensive time zone starts.  He plays the game to the absolute simplist with zero creativity, do things like shots on goal from slots with impossible odds, quite terrible actually 

3 hours ago, J-P said:

pens are prolly regretting missing out on muzzin about now.. not that it will matter in a few days time. 

4 hours ago, J-P said:

I have always thought he was a 3rd pairing D, but I am still surprised he hasn’t been more effective in the playoffs.  He seems made for it, and you hope that makes up for his regular season play.

Things get tighter, more physical, and slow down a little in the playoffs.  I thought he would be pumped up and better in punishing opposing forwards in a way that would wear on them over a series.  

He he has been mostly a no show, and he has quickly fallen down their pecking order.  

We are probably over valuing Pearson on our end, but I think we will come out ahead on this.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, J-P said:

Sounds like the scouting report on how he played here this year. Lol. 

Edited by rekker
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Provost said:

We are probably over valuing Pearson on our end, but I think we will come out ahead on this.

This. 

I kinda feel, often whenever players get dealt they are trying extra hard...and people enjoy their new "toy" and tend to overvalue. Eventually most fall off, as it cannot be sustained. In Pearsons case, it hasn't happened as there was not enough time. Case points: leivo, granlund, leipsic,....

I hope I'm wrong, but my guess is Pearson will slide down into the "Granlund, Leivo, Sutter"-ish category of players on our depth chart pretty quickly next year. Again, hope I'm wrong....

17 minutes ago, Gassy Jack said:

This. 

I kinda feel, often whenever players get dealt they are trying extra hard...and people enjoy their new "toy" and tend to overvalue. Eventually most fall off, as it cannot be sustained. In Pearsons case, it hasn't happened as there was not enough time. Case points: leivo, granlund, leipsic,....

I hope I'm wrong, but my guess is Pearson will slide down into the "Granlund, Leivo, Sutter"-ish category of players on our depth chart pretty quickly next year. Again, hope I'm wrong....

Pretty much, glad if we are wrong... but we basically got him off the scrap heap and there was a reason he was there.

I don’t think we should guarantee a spot in the top six for him.  He should be a back up plan if we can’t find someone better.  He should probably be a 3rd liner if we want to be good.

XX-Petterson-Boeser

XX-Horvat-XX

Pearson-Gaudette-Leivo

Roussel-Beagle-MacEwan

Motte

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Provost said:

Pretty much, glad if we are wrong... but we basically got him off the scrap heap and there was a reason he was there.

I don’t think we should guarantee a spot in the top six for him.  He should be a back up plan if we can’t find someone better.  He should probably be a 3rd liner if we want to be good.

XX-Petterson-Boeser

XX-Horvat-XX

Pearson-Gaudette-Leivo

Roussel-Beagle-MacEwan

Motte

Did you trade Virtanen?

• Cheers 1