The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hypothetically if Canucks win the draft lottery, do we trade a centre?

Generational.EP40

When I was kid, my mom used to play the lotto with her colleagues, they did this for a few years.  Once, they hit on 4 of the 6 numbers and won about 3 grand between the ten of them.  Mom went out and spent her $300 winnings on more tickets.  On the day of the next lottery, we were sure we were going to win something big.  We won $3.  Mom never played the lotto again.

We aren't winning the lottery.  Consider us lucky if we stay in the top ten.

13 hours ago, Fateless said:

I was thinking something along these lines too, but you have to be really careful with that move considering we have Jack Hughes' brother on the team. If Quinn sees that we have the chance to take his brother and our management opts to pass him over by trading down - do you really think Quinn will feel loyal to this team or will he bounce the first chance he gets to play with is brother or another team?

This is a joke right? 

4 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

The Hughes boys will want to play together if you win #1 pick you take Jack no matter what  . Kakko may be as good but Jack would give you instant offense and would take a little pressure off of Pettersson

The Hughes boys could have played together this year. They opted against that. Don't think it's as big a deal as people are making it !

15 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Personally, I'd rather keep what we're certain of and just trade the pick for another high pick and a good young top 6 forward or a good top 3 defenseman.

As GM, my goal would be Bowen Byram. 

He fits what we need and gives us a potent left side in the near future.

I don't think it would be a hard sell to drop to third or fourth (depending on comfort level of him being there) and pick up an additional first rounder for the 2020 draft.

I know it would be an unpopular move as uniting two of the three Hughes brothers would be at the top of everyone's list but the need to keep filling the cupboards with top-end talent is still a priority. Picking up another top pick for 2020 offers a lot of flexibility for 2020 to either make the pick or deal it for another need.

This gives us Petey, Horvat, and Gaudette down the middle (after Sutter's contract is up) as our top three centers and Hughes, Byram, and Juolevi as our left side blueliners with the 2020 draft on the horizon.

I would look at that as a great 2019 first round.

12 minutes ago, smokes said:

Would Buffalo take Dahlin for this year's first overall?

Trade Dahlin for first overall?  I wouldn't, Dahlin is the real deal and has already put up an amazingly good year, breaking a record for points set by Bobby freakin Orr.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Trade Dahlin for first overall?  I wouldn't, Dahlin is the real deal and has already put up an amazingly good year, breaking a record for points set by Bobby freakin Orr.

What record did he break?

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

What record did he break?

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/dahlin-passes-orr-marking-major-milestone-in-18-year-old-sabres-rookies-superb-season

While Bobby Orr was having a wild 71st birthday on Wednesday night, dancing on top of bar tables, throwing televisions out of hotel rooms and inciting riots in the posh Boston suburb of Weston (OK, none of that happened), Rasmus Dahlin was busy becoming the second-highest scoring 18-year-old defenseman in NHL history, passing Orr for the distinction with an assist on Casey Mittelstadt’s goal against the Toronto Maple Leafs.

8 hours ago, timberz21 said:

You mentionned EP playing wing....but how about Hughes playing wing?  He probably prefers playing center, but isn't really big.  It remains to be seen how well his game translate to the NHL (faceoff, physicality, defense), at least in his first few years.  One of his comparable is Patrick Kane, which played both C and W in the NHL but had much more success on the wing.

If that happen, and it's a big if, I think it's a pretty good problem to have.

Sebastian Aho transitioned to center fine because of his smarts. He is small I believe, and Hughes is smarter than him. I think he would be fine as a center. EP is taller yes but he is small too. 

I dont think small centres will have much of an issue translating anymore. Toews isn’t much bigger than EP either. 

11 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

????

What part of my post are you having an issue with?

If the Canucks land #1 or #2 and draft Hughes or Kakko, that’s great!   All I’m suggesting is that the Canucks should NOT make any sudden moves of that happens.  Make the pick, and then see how things play out.   Maybe one of our centers could shift to the wing.

Ideally, you could keep everyone, BUT......I’d we ever reach a situation in the future (in this hypothetical) where we are extremely deep down the middle but still have significant holes in other areas of our line-up, then the idea of moving 1 or even 2 of our centers shouldn’t be ruled out.

?????

What part of my reply are you having an issue with?

Do you not remember what happened when Keenan was here? Took the C away from Trevor to give to your precious horrible photo guy, and then traded him away, and you're proposing to do the same with Horvat, are you going to strip him of the C before you trade him to, because he's getting the C and going to be the Captain of this core going forward, but like Keenan you want to trade him eventually. Good luck with that :lol:

You win 1st OA and you pick Hughes and play him on Horvat's wing or you pick Kakko and play him on Pettersons wing, allowing Boeser to play with Horvat.

If you pick 3OA, you trade down a few spots and pick Byram. Moving out of the top 3, I would want Anaheims additional 1st, NYR additional 1st, or 2 2nds from any team that has them and is willing to up a few spots for that price.

Ive said this before but I do not see Byram going in the top 3. There are too many talented forwards in Dach, Podkolzin, Cozens, and Krebs. All of whom could go before Byram.

Colorado, LA, NJ, Ana, Buff, all have a pressing need for top end forwards more than a potential top pairing defenseman.

If nothing were to change with the lotto, this is how I see it playing out. I predict if we are drafting in the top 7, Byram falls to us and is the first defenseman drafted.

COL - Hughes

LA - Kakko

DET - Cozens

NJ - Dach

NYR - Podkolzin

BUF - Turcotte

ANA - Krebs

VAN - Byram

What do you guys think? Am I on the money, or out to lunch?

19 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

I partially agree with the overachieving bit but not with the 3rd line C lol. He’s very comparable to Jordan Staal. Which is without a doubt a top6 centre. On a bad team can act as a 1C but on most teams is fit to be a 2C. 

...his contract is very fair as well and all things considered play is pretty similar to Kesler when we had him around. Only thing about Bo is I’m afraid he may have hit his ceiling so he shouldn’t be expected to be much better production wise. If that’s the case it’s not a problem but it may be has he overachieved this year as a one time thing which I highly doubt. He’ll be a 50+ point getter and at times be capable of 60+. Plus, his game is more than just that. He brings everything to the table on all ends of the ice.

edit: spelling 

I disagree with this. Given the injuries to Sutter and Beagle this year, Horvat has been expected to take on much of the defensive burden and was out for almost every defensive zone face-off this year during that time. He has played with guys like Goldobin, Baertschi, and Roussell for most of the year. Despite these disadvantages is on pace for 65-70 points. I think with more talented line mates, he hits 70 every year. Playing with either Boeser or potentially Hughes for 82 games, Horvat is a ppg center.

Archived