The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hypothetically if Canucks win the draft lottery, do we trade a centre?

Generational.EP40

2 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

no trade, Hughes can play on the wing of Horvat and he can get a main stay winger instead of evolving plugs. 

I can see clearly now, it can be the Jack and Bo-Bo show, reminiscent of these guys 

4 hours ago, The Lock said:

The way I see it, we would be in a similar situation to Tampa Bay when they had Lecavalier, Richards, and St. Louis among others. Ultimately, they traded away Richards but they managed to get a cup before that.

Keep them all and try for a cup before the last of them needs a big paycheck and we potentially go over the cap. Don't sacrifice a potential cup run due to paranoia of our balance sheet. We'll just be mediocre if we did that in my opinion. ;)

Trade the pick away and you lose the chance of a young core with a couple of big signings.

I think you're pretty bang on here. It would be easy to say our top 2 centers (or even top 4) are set. EP, Bo (Gaudette, Beagle) and that's assuming we can unload Sutter this summer. But if we have an opportunity to draft Jack Hughes, you can damn well bet JB and ownership are gonna take it. They're desperate for a winner and even more desperate for a storyline. Kakko might even be better and would fit our org's positional need but it just won't happen. Brian Burke will forever be remembered for the Sedin/McCabe trade. For all of JB's mistakes, all could be forgotten if he united the Hughes brothers...

Perhaps in the future, but it would be much wiser to see how things played out first.  

Kakko and Pettersson have experience playing on the wings and so those are options as well.  

I will have to admit however that IF Gaudette develops into 2nd line C, the Canucks could really round out their line up by trading Horvat and Gaudette......in the future.  The key word is “the future” however.  

2 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Perhaps in the future, but it would be much wiser to see how things played out first.  

Kakko and Pettersson have experience playing on the wings and so those are options as well.  

I will have to admit however that IF Gaudette develops into 2nd line C, the Canucks could really round out their line up by trading Horvat and Gaudette......in the future.  The key word is “the future” however.  

The Canucks are not trading Horvat even if Gaudette ends up better than Pettersson. 

I dont understand how Horvat becomea expendable ever. 23 year old winning over 1000 face offs and putting up 60 points while playing with plugs is pretty damn amazing. You don't trade that for parts. Horvat is the best player in any package involving him

1 hour ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Mike Keenan is that you in disguise....

So for the first time in our history we actually land the #1 pick through the lottery, the draft is being held in Vancouver, and the brother of the top rated prospect has just signed a 3 year contract to play in Vancouver.  And some are considering hypothetically to trade that #1 pick if we get it?

giphy444.gif

6 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Wasn't Pettersson a winger before coming to Vancouver?

Pettersson was drafted as a centre and played centre until he got to Vaxjö. He played mostly RW in his d+1, with a 7 game stint at centre when the team had an injury to a top 6 C.

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Personally, I'd rather keep what we're certain of and just trade the pick for another high pick and a good young top 6 forward or a good top 3 defenseman.

I don't think I understand what you mean here but trade 1st overall for another high pick + young top 6 or top 3D?

I think that's trading quality for quantity. Unless the high pick we get and top 6/top3D we get back are certain to contribute more than Hughes.

I mean look back in 2007 draft. Would you have traded 1st overall for a say, a top 5 pick and another top 6 forward?

2 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

The Canucks are not trading Horvat even if Gaudette ends up better than Pettersson. 

I dont understand how Horvat becomea expendable ever. 23 year old winning over 1000 face offs and putting up 60 points while playing with plugs is pretty damn amazing. You don't trade that for parts. Horvat is the best player in any package involving him

Like I said - if we draft Kakko or Jack Hughes, we shouldn’t make moves right away.  We should wait and see how things play out (for example - could one of our current centers move to the wing?  How does the rest of our team look?  Were we able to fill the holes that currently exist on our right side D and wings?).

The key phrases are “being patient” and “seeing how things develop.”

Personally speaking, I would hate the idea of moving Horvat and Gaudette......BUT.....if the Canucks ever reach a stage in this hypothetical future scenario where they are extremely deep down the middle but have holes in other parts of the line-up, then the idea of moving one or both of Horvat and Gaudette shouldn’t be completely ruled out.

That’s my point.

57 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Mike Keenan is that you in disguise....

????

What part of my post are you having an issue with?

If the Canucks land #1 or #2 and draft Hughes or Kakko, that’s great!   All I’m suggesting is that the Canucks should NOT make any sudden moves of that happens.  Make the pick, and then see how things play out.   Maybe one of our centers could shift to the wing.

Ideally, you could keep everyone, BUT......I’d we ever reach a situation in the future (in this hypothetical) where we are extremely deep down the middle but still have significant holes in other areas of our line-up, then the idea of moving 1 or even 2 of our centers shouldn’t be ruled out.

You mentionned EP playing wing....but how about Hughes playing wing?  He probably prefers playing center, but isn't really big.  It remains to be seen how well his game translate to the NHL (faceoff, physicality, defense), at least in his first few years.  One of his comparable is Patrick Kane, which played both C and W in the NHL but had much more success on the wing.

If that happen, and it's a big if, I think it's a pretty good problem to have.

Thornton and Pavelski are both centres and they used to play on the same line.  Kesler started to flourish offensively when he was on the wing with Mats Sundin.  

Talented players are usually talented enough to adapt their style of play when needed.  

Maybe Horvat could be that powerforward alongside Pettersson or Hughes.  Or maybe Pettersson be on the wing of Hughes as EP is one of the quickest player in the NHL already.  

There's no reason to pigeonhole a player to whatever position they were drafted at.  A little tidbit of information.... did you know that Brent Burns, the 2017 Norris trophy winner, was actually drafted as a winger?  Jacque Lemaire saw a huge 6'5" 230lbs powerforward and then suddenly decided to convert him into a defenseman.  

I would keep Bo and EP as the centers and move Hughes to the wing lots of centers is not a bad thing. You can usually have a center play wing but you cant have a winger play center. Look at San Jose a few years ago Pavelski, Couture, Thornton, Marleau, Tierney, Karlsson, Hertl are all technically centers so their entire top six were centers. I'm actually super surprised that we didn't put Gaudette on the wing.

Archived