The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Nashville Predators | Apr. 04, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

27 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Your post kind of confused me as it really didn't address the post you'd quoted.

They may want to re-evaluate the grading process and make sure all referees know the rules and apply them evenly.  Rather than playing BINGO with them.

They are facing consequences.  They have to get the calls right or their grading takes a hit and they could miss officiating the post-season.  

26 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The thing is, if the boss encourages or at least supports you "messing up your work", then they aren't going to issue any consequences.   They aren't facing any so that's where the issues lie...in that we, the fans, "tolerate" the crap by continuing to support the game.  And I, for one, never will give up on it.  So that's part of the problem right there - they know people aren't going anywhere so they don't have to get it right.

If people band together and threaten to quit watching and supporting, via social media, maybe they will change.

But probably not.

You know what is probably the only person that could change it all with a few choice words?  The Great One.

If Wayne came out and crapped all over the NHL refs, the entire hockey world would take notice.

I'm mad...

but I'm not even mad.

Great showing last night imo.

The game managers....did what they do so well - mangled yet another NHL game.   Surprise.  Winnipeg is no doubt pissed.

For the Canucks, 'thankfully' it's in game 81 on route to the draft.

16 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

Deb,  I usually find myself with the same opinions as yours on this forum.

But to call me a bandwagoner is a joke.  Give your head a shake.  I've been here on this forum 14 years.

And been a fan for 30.  To call me a bandwagoner because I accept the last 2 games are meaningless, and losing HELPS us right now,  that is bull****.

I am here as a die hard fan missing the playoffs like no other. And the only way to get the feeling of being a Canucks fan with the boys in the playoffs again is to start filling out the core.  Fastest way is through the draft.   Higher the draft pick,  higher % that pick will be a player we can compete for the cup with.

You can disagree with me wanting to lose the last 2 games,  and I get it.  But i do take a lot of offense being called a bandwagoner.  Especially when I am positive about this team through 90% of the season.

I didn't say "you are a bandwagoner", I indicated that it's generally the mindset of bandwagoners to "care when it matters"...to which I'd add "to me" (them).    That they care "when". 

It matters to the team when they are shortchanged and treated unfairly.  So it actually....matters.

I get the whole meaningless games but that's not a winner's mindset.  There are no meaningless games when you're developing, bonding, learning and growing.

I also get the whole "if we lose" there MAY BE a silver lining.  But I care about this team and I'll care about players when they are here, not before that.  Do I want the team to add pieces?  Yes.  

But to focus on that more than the guys in the line up right now is the issue for me.  We all have our own opinions and, while mine was harsh (I left afterward because I knew I was at the boiling point), I'm kind of tired of people overlooking the guys leaving the ice for ones who aren't here.  And may or may not matter.

I am quite concerned that Petey, a guy who loves to win, isn't scoring and is seeing a bit of disparity in fairness in this league.  I want him to believe in this league, not question it.  So if you "want to lose" the last two games, as expressed, don't expect that I won't have a strong opinion on that.   Don't be offended...own it.   

Being positive about the team 90% leaves 10% - that's what I was addressing.  If you pack it in early don't expect the rest of us to.  You want to put the eggs in a "possible potential" basket that may or may not pan out.  I'm putting mine in these guys, in the here and now.  Because I feel they will/can.

I am sorry if you took my post personally and stand firm on my point - that caring "when it matters" is a dumb concept.

43 minutes ago, xereau said:

If people band together and threaten to quit watching and supporting, via social media, maybe they will change.

But probably not.

You know what is probably the only person that could change it all with a few choice words?  The Great One.

If Wayne came out and crapped all over the NHL refs, the entire hockey world would take notice.

I've said this before, NHL refs are the best of the best in the entire world......this is as good as it's going to get.  Officiating hockey is, by far, the toughest in pro sports and setting the standard I see from fans here is completely unrealistic.

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I didn't say "you are a bandwagoner", I indicated that it's generally the mindset of bandwagoners to "care when it matters"...to which I'd add "to me" (them).    That they care "when". 

It matters to the team when they are shortchanged and treated unfairly.  So it actually....matters.

I get the whole meaningless games but that's not a winner's mindset.  There are no meaningless games when you're developing, bonding, learning and growing.

I also get the whole "if we lose" there MAY BE a silver lining.  But I care about this team and I'll care about players when they are here, not before that.  Do I want the team to add pieces?  Yes.  

But to focus on that more than the guys in the line up right now is the issue for me.  We all have our own opinions and, while mine was harsh (I left afterward because I knew I was at the boiling point), I'm kind of tired of people overlooking the guys leaving the ice for ones down the road.

I am quite concerned that Petey, a guy who loves to win, isn't scoring and is seeing a bit of disparity in fairness in this league.  I want him to believe in this league, not question it.  So if you "want to lose" the last two games expect me to have a strong opinion on that.  Which I've shared.   Don't be offended...own it.   Being positive about the team 90% leaves 10% - that's what I was addressing.  If you pack it in early don't expect the rest of us too.  You want to put the eggs in a "possible potential" that may or may not pan out.  I'm putting mine in these guys, in the here and now.  Because I feel they will/can.

Petey's issues are Petey's, not the league's, not the refs. 

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Petey's issues are Petey's, not the league's, not the refs. 

If the refs turn a blind eye as guys are doling dirty shots to him, it's not just his issue...it's the league's.  And that point (about him) was mostly to tie in why "it matters" now, not just on draft day.   The team is taking these games seriously, as they should, and they do matter even if the results won't change things.  

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

I've said this before, NHL refs are the best of the best in the entire world......this is as good as it's going to get.  Officiating hockey is, by far, the toughest in pro sports and setting the standard I see from fans here is completely unrealistic.

I don't buy any of this.

Was Auger "the best"? ... or found to be something lesser?  I know what I think.

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't buy any of this.

Was Auger "the best"? ... or found to be something lesser?  I know what I think.

They are the best in the world.......where is it you think you'll find better officials?

I've never been sold on this refs hate the Canucks conspiracy theory. Refs make mistakes. Just like players do. 

Even the best Dmen makes mistakes. Just less than other Dmen. 

Refs are graded. The better ones officiate in the playoffs just like the better teams play in the playoffs. 

Even in the playoffs they are graded and the ones that make a glaring mistake in a round don't go on to the next round.  

No way the nhl personnel from head office would collude to order the refs to help one team win over another. 

They would face a criminal investigation and loss of career and reputation.  

Some players who are known to be divers do not get the benefit of doubt sometimes and that's normal. Refs get to know players and their tendencies over time.. you make them look bad they keep that in mind. 

But overall IF i thought it's a conspiracy i would seriously consider stop watching the NHL and move on to another league.  No point wasting all that energy and passion and peace of mind over something you believe is rigged.

It would just put me in a bad mental place. I wouldn't be able to enjoy the sport for its entertainment if I believed its rigged. 

Same goes for NFL and UFC. Two other sports I follow really closely. 

14 hours ago, Kragar said:

Aside from being screwed on the first one, I had no issue with the 2nd.  There was no way Marky would get in position to make a save, even without the collision. He was already sliding away from the play... just a tough break.

The puck was also deflected to the goalscorer off a teammate's glove.  A whole lot of strange calls last night.

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why is hockey so much tougher than officiating any other sport?

EP40 I think has just ran out of gas. It's a big difference in the NHL grind over 82 games. 

I also think Petey is way to proud and wants to compete so much, that he'd be ok sitting some games, so here we are. 

EP40 is just going to get better. A summer of rest, training, a little bit of bulking up (but not too much), and he will be ready to rock next year and beyond. 

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Why is hockey so much tougher than officiating any other sport?

Speed of the game is a major reason..  the puck is small compared a soccer ball or football and easily hidden out if view. Hooking and holding could be done for a split second to slow down a player. 

Refs in every sport make mistakes..  NFL is always talking about refs and rules. UFC often has controversy over early stoppages. 

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Speed of the game is a major reason..  the puck is small compared a soccer ball or football and easily hidden out if view. Hooking and holding could be done for a split second to slow down a player. 

Refs in every sport make mistakes..  NFL is always talking about refs and rules. UFC often has controversy over early stoppages. 

But they have a process whereby they confer and make changes.  Have the benefit of tablets, reviews, second looks, etc.  So the speed of the game can be slowed down for a look.

It's not like they don't interrupt the game to discuss calls and take a second look.  If they only had real time to do it, sure.

Archived