The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did Travis Green mishandle Nikolai Goldobin?

*Buzzsaw*

Travis Green and Nikolai Goldobin  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Did Travis Green give up on Nikolai Goldobin too soon?

• Yes, Goldobin should have stayed in the lineup... he was improving
    • Nope... Goldobin was a bust... headed for the waiver wire

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 01:24 PM

The annoying part wasn't that he was getting benched. The annoying part was that he was getting benched over guys who couldn't score, on a team that couldn't score. 

We played like the Wild did in the early 2000's, minus the good coaching for defensive strategy. Just boring hockey as a team. If we didn't have some dynamic offensive players, this season would have been a real bore fest. Markstrom kept the games entertaining. We still have a long way to go. Which is ironic because we have half of our forward group being defensive forwards. 

4 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

The annoying part wasn't that he was getting benched. The annoying part was that he was getting benched over guys who couldn't score, on a team that couldn't score. 

We played like the Wild did in the early 2000's, minus the good coaching for defensive strategy. Just boring hockey as a team. If we didn't have some dynamic offensive players, this season would have been a real bore fest. Markstrom kept the games entertaining. We still have a long way to go. Which is ironic because we have half of our forward group being defensive forwards. 

Except Goldobin wasn't scoring for stretches either, and didn't bring a full 200ft game either. At least when Eriksson is not scoring he is still useful. 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Except Goldobin wasn't scoring for stretches either, and didn't bring a full 200ft game either. At least when Eriksson is not scoring he is still useful. 

But he was producing chances and getting snake bitten. Eriksson don't win you games because he's stuck in his own end the whole time. When was the last time you've seen Eriksson with a heavy forechecking shift? He's good on the pk, that's about it. Good defense is offense as well, and Eriksson was never carrying the puck into the offensive zone. The game is about possession. Eriksson's possession stats are horrendous. 

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Also, a 200ft game includes the offensive zone as well. Just because a player is a defensive player, doesn't mean he's a 200ft player. Eriksson was a 100ft player. Just like Goldobin. 

1 minute ago, MikeyD said:

Also, a 200ft game includes the offensive zone as well. Just because a player is a defensive player, doesn't mean he's a 200ft player. Eriksson was a 100ft player. Just like Goldobin. 

48% with 41% offensive starts doesn't suggest that. 

Vs. Goldobin at 50% with 64% offensive zone starts. 

Even strength Eriksson was overall the better player objectively speaking, and that's not a good sign for Goldobin. Goldobin did produce 8 assists on the PP but only 1 goal with plenty of PP opportunity. 

Again if you're going to bring as little as Goldobin did 5 on 5 you have to be deadly on the PP, he wasn't. 

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

48% with 41% offensive starts doesn't suggest that. 

Vs. Goldobin at 50% with 64% offensive zone starts. 

Even strength Eriksson was overall the better player objectively speaking, and that's not a good sign for Goldobin. Goldobin did produce 8 assists on the PP but only 1 goal with plenty of PP opportunity. 

Again if you're going to bring as little as Goldobin did 5 on 5 you have to be deadly on the PP, he wasn't. 

He was the only guy who put up points on our 2nd PP. He didn't get a lot of first line minutes. It's unfortunate though, stats won't indicate how some players make those around them look better. Or how often a puck dies on a stick or just gets dumped into the zone. Pettersson could have had so many more points in the first half of the season, but Boeser couldn't hit the net or shoot the puck without it getting blocked after a slow release. Boeser picked it up but Pettersson made his linemates look better even though the stats didn't back it up. 

The way Green handled Goldobin gives me a little dejavu on how Willie handled Tryamkin. Sure mistakes were made but they were not the worst on the ice, both also had flashes of brilliancy yet you would see their minutes drop or get benched. I'm just not sure management knows how to handle Russian players.

3 hours ago, smokes said:

The way Green handled Goldobin gives me a little dejavu on how Willie handled Tryamkin. Sure mistakes were made but they were not the worst on the ice, both also had flashes of brilliancy yet you would see their minutes drop or get benched. I'm just not sure management knows how to handle Russian players.

I’m not sure that’s entirely fair.  Tryamkin came into camp out of shape and refused to do a conditioning stint.  We all know what happened to JV when he pulled the same thing, a year in the AHL and in Greens doghouse at times down there too until all the entitlement was beaten out of him.  With Tryamkin he was played almost 18 minutes a game, yet he wasn’t happy (I guess he thought he should be on the PP too? as a rookie in the NHL that’s pretty good.  

As for Goldobin he was gifted a spot with EP and for a while made the most of it,  and it looked like he might be breaking out.  Two things on that, EP was on fire the first three months and that fire might have ignited anyone on his wing, it did for Boeser who had a very slow start until he was paired with him too.  Second thing is Goldobins production all but dried up, he wasn’t producing so lost his spot.  Unfortunately he hasn’t figured out the defensive game enough to be a better option in the third or fourth line and end up in the doghouse.  Don’t think this is on Green as much as it is on Goldobin, he was given the juiciest spot on the team and kept it well after he stopped putting up points...and just doesn’t do enough in his own zone to be affective when not on a scoring line.  He’s had his chances, maybe he gets one more, or maybe he’s off to the AHL, another team or on his way home.

5 hours ago, smokes said:

Goldobin played in 63 games this season. He averaged just under 15 minutes a night (and this is with some nights where he did indeed get benched, so some nights he had even more playing time). Goldobin was often on the top PP when he started the year until he stopped producing and he averaged over 2 and a half minutes of PP time a game. Green has treated Goldobin the same as any other player. It's about being fair and Goldobin was given plenty of opportunity to stick.

On 4/10/2019 at 6:18 PM, MikeyD said:

But he was producing chances and getting snake bitten. Eriksson don't win you games because he's stuck in his own end the whole time. When was the last time you've seen Eriksson with a heavy forechecking shift? He's good on the pk, that's about it. Good defense is offense as well, and Eriksson was never carrying the puck into the offensive zone. The game is about possession. Eriksson's possession stats are horrendous. 

Eriksson is good on the forecheck.  He's a big part of why the Bo line is as good as it is.  He may not be scoring like a $6 million man but his passing is excellent and he calmly gets the puck out of his own end.  He's got great hockey sense and his defense  is great.  I don't know about your statement that his possession stats being horrendous, time and time again I've seen him retrive the puck and get it back to the point for a shot.  We may be stuck with LE cap hit but other than that he's a useful player.

I agree Goldy had lots of opportunity to lock in a top 6 spot this year, but wasn't able to. 

Regardless, I'm still excited to see him again next season. A long summer of training and you never know how his game might elevate next season. I still think he has the talent to be a top 6 winger. 

1 minute ago, Bobby James said:

I agree Goldy had lots of opportunity to lock in a top 6 spot this year, but wasn't able to. 

Regardless, I'm still excited to see him again next season. A long summer of training and you never know how his game might elevate next season. I still think he has the talent to be a top 6 winger. 

Goldy definitely has the talent to play an important role in our top six.  Will he get into tremendous shape, so he can play fast, and hard for (at least) second line minutes?  I know people wonder about his play away from the puck, but I think it's like with Hutton last season.  Can Goldy commit to off ice habits that allow him to play fast for 15 plus minutes?

On 4/10/2019 at 5:09 PM, MikeyD said:

i do not know what you were seeing this past season

i saw some of the best hockey and most entertaining hockey from a canuck team since the last season they made the playoffs

the talent is beginning to make its presence felt

and there is a lot of hope embedded in this young developing team

i'm actually a bit excited about this team's young core

damn

bo, brock, ep40, demko, hughes, gaudette

unknown quantities still in joulevi, gadjovich, lind, and who knows what else might emerge from the deeper talent pool.... but someone else is going to make the team from this group

woo still excites me

and there are some quality veteran pieces - marky, pearson, leivo, motte (well maybe those last 2 are less veteran), hutton, stetcher, roussel... etc... ...

huge amount of cap space is a positive

and the team made a notable step forward in terms of point production in the standings this past season

not sure what your measure is for boredom or excitement

but this past season had more excitement then the 3 before it

and i still am gaga over the nucks - avs game earlier in the season

wow was that exciting

Archived