The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seattle's Mayor accidentally leaks future team's name?

Rate this topic

Timbers or Storm would be great names as mentioned previously.

My input would be the Seattle Sirens (origin from the Starbucks logo, the mermaids who lured sailors to crash into boulders in rocky areas).  Plays into the coffee history of the area, and there's also an element of danger.  The logo also creates itself (per Google image search of male sirens, all they need is to acquire the rights to Ryan Kesler and have him as their logo, the rest will write itself).

8 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Come on, call them the Orca, then we will have to change our logo and mascot.

that is actually quite funny

what a way to begin a rivalry of hatred

could be quite cool actually

they mess up our marketing department and steal our logo

i like it

• Cheers 1

Well let's see we have:

- Insane traffic.

- Money Laundering.

- Drugs.

- Unaffordable housing.

At least Seattle has some industry like Boeing, something we don't have. 

Every city has its problems. GVRD is a victim of bad planning, and worse leadership. 

• Upvote 2

I would have preferred them naming the team "Cranes" ;)

19 hours ago, 112 said:

Lol at people casting shade on homeless people and drug users.

Honestly, when was the last time a homeless person has ruined your day?

Maybe consider what's so wrong with your life that you need to scapegoat vulnerable populations and work on a remedy--just like you expect these people who are up against the world to do.

What about the human pathology compels us to blame people for their circumstances when we know nothing of the individual context that led them there?

When you have your car broken into and cleared out, it does ruin your day to say the least.  I'm not wealthy, so when I get myself a nice pair of sunglasses, it means I've probably been saving that money for many months.  My cable chargers, first aid kit, emergency auto equipment, flashlights, glasses, etc.... easily a few days worth in salary just gone.  

It a tad upsetting when you're just sitting in the backseat with your baby while waiting for your wife to get off work and then some random person suddenly opens up your car door to look for stuff.  

Another time a guy in a wheelchair narrowly missed my parked car and instead scraped the car in front (my wife's co-worker's).  The driver was still inside the car too... and the look of frustration... I mean what do you do in that situation?  You're out a few hundred bucks for a paint job and it's not like you can do anything to make the guy reimburse you.  

Then there are times you have to swerve out of the way while driving just because some individual decides to cross the street without any regards for travelling vehicles.  If there's any traffic accident, you'd bet the insurance and the authorities won't be on your side.  

Plus my wife always have to be on guard when they has to walk past Oppenheimer park just to get to work.  Random people swearing at her or making racist remarks, or her having to make sure the area is clear of needles and other hazardous material to be safe for the kids when there's a fire drill or something (usually there are lots of needles, condoms, etc., lying about).  

I doubt people start scapegoating the homeless/drug users due to elitism or whatnot... just many have had negative interaction with that segment of the population.  

From what I am able to witness.... the homeless and druggies here are way more aggressive than some other places.  When I'm in Japan and I walk past the really poor area.... the people there are very passive.  They rarely beg, some go about cleaning up the public areas, some do their best to maintain as high level of hygiene as they could, many just try to make a living by just re-selling manga books that others have discarded, etc.  Not saying there's no crime.... but they just seemed more pleasant than the folks down at East Hastings.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

I would have preferred them naming the team "Cranes" ;)

When you have your car broken into and cleared out, it does ruin your day to say the least.  I'm not wealthy, so when I get myself a nice pair of sunglasses, it means I've probably been saving that money for many months.  My cable chargers, first aid kit, emergency auto equipment, flashlights, glasses, etc.... easily a few days worth in salary just gone.  

It a tad upsetting when you're just sitting in the backseat with your baby while waiting for your wife to get off work and then some random person suddenly opens up your car door to look for stuff.  

Another time a guy in a wheelchair narrowly missed my parked car and instead scraped the car in front (my wife's co-worker's).  The driver was still inside the car too... and the look of frustration... I mean what do you do in that situation?  You're out a few hundred bucks for a paint job and it's not like you can do anything to make the guy reimburse you.  

Then there are times you have to swerve out of the way while driving just because some individual decides to cross the street without any regards for travelling vehicles.  If there's any traffic accident, you'd bet the insurance and the authorities won't be on your side.  

Plus my wife always have to be on guard when they has to walk past Oppenheimer park just to get to work.  Random people swearing at her or making racist remarks, or her having to make sure the area is clear of needles and other hazardous material to be safe for the kids when there's a fire drill or something (usually there are lots of needles, condoms, etc., lying about).  

I doubt people start scapegoating the homeless/drug users due to elitism or whatnot... just many have had negative interaction with that segment of the population.  

From what I am able to witness.... the homeless and druggies here are way more aggressive than some other places.  When I'm in Japan and I walk past the really poor area.... the people there are very passive.  They rarely beg, some go about cleaning up the public areas, some do their best to maintain as high level of hygiene as they could, many just try to make a living by just re-selling manga books that others have discarded, etc.  Not saying there's no crime.... but they just seemed more pleasant than the folks down at East Hastings.  

I was assaulted by a Latino person once. Does this justify me hating Latinos?

1 hour ago, 112 said:

I was assaulted by a Latino person once. Does this justify me hating Latinos?

Because socio-economic difference is the same as race now?  For argument purposes, if Latinos as a whole commits significantly more crime than the norm, that should be an issue that needs to be addressed.  

In any case, who ever said anything about hating?  I (and probably most people) just don't want to be negatively impacted by them.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Greek mythological creatures as possible names

Hydra     a many-headed, serpent-like creature that guarded an Underworld

Tritons   son of Poseidon half-man and half-fish.

Typhons   an extremely savage and terrifying monster with snake-coils instead of limbs

Karkinos      a giant crab which fought Heracles

Seattle Hydra! That's excellent. The uniforms and helmet could be very cool and intimidating...imagine 5 heads skatin' towards ya...brilliant marketing.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

Seattle Hydra! That's excellent. The uniforms and helmet could be very cool and intimidating...imagine 5 heads skatin' towards ya...brilliant marketing.

Yeah!Well it looks like a Greek mythology name they seem to be looking for, which I like. Remember the Titans etc.

It's actually a cool theme.And a ton of names to choose from.

On 4/13/2019 at 12:04 PM, Phil_314 said:

Timbers or Storm would be great names as mentioned previously.

Timbers is the name of the city’s most popular sports team’s biggest rival. Storm is the name of their WNBA team. Neither would fly.

• Cheers 1

On 4/12/2019 at 8:41 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Just watched a News Documentary(Komo, on Utube), & the shocking homelessness/crime resembles a Brazilian favela. Seattle was such a charming city, when I visited in my youth.

that's why they can't call them the Emeralds.. Emerald City has died :mellow:

On 4/12/2019 at 11:46 PM, -AJ- said:

I still wanted the Metropolitans, but I suppose I'm just a sucker for hockey history. Not a huge fan of Kracken, but it could be worse I suppose.

I like the Mets as well.. also Totems & Emeralds.. 

but I am really struggling to think of something more gimmicky and regrettably stupid than Kraken.. maybe the Seattle Hockey McHockey-Faces?

I suppose it would finally end the argument of how to pronounce the word Kraken

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1