The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lets open this to discussion Mike Gillis returning President

Rate this topic

aqua59

“Gillis was better at drafting than Benning” is the hot take nobody asked for.  

I don’t have much of a bone to pick with Gillis - credit where it’s due, he put the finishing touches on the best team we’ve ever seen.  He left the prospect pool absolutely barren but I’d take that for a cup any day.  I hated the Schneider / Luongo fiasco.  That was bush league and my main reason for wanting him gone.  That Schneider trade does look good in hindsight with the way Bo has blossomed, however.

Gillis didn’t just get unlucky drafting Hodgson and his illness, though.. he drafted Hodgson and traded him for useless Zack Kassian who, lets face it, never looked good. That’s a major swing and a miss too.  That’s 10OA value down the toilet for a guy who Jake just matched in goals (4 less points). And Jake looks to be on the upswing and the better overall player. So if we’re whining about Jake in the JB vs Gillis debate, the Kassian deal, IMO makes it a wash at this point.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/29/2019 at 8:03 AM, Me_ said:

Definitely up there. But Nonis. Brought in Luongo yes. But what else?

I dunno like maybe draft Edler.  Sign UFA Mitchell ( Guds couldn't carry his jockstrap).  Draft Schneider.  Hansen.  Nonis wasn't good but he did bring in some good players.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I dunno like maybe draft Edler.  Sign UFA Mitchell ( Guds couldn't carry his jockstrap).  Nonis wasn't good but he did bring in some good players.

Ok fine. Im hard on Nonis. Do here is an appreciation post:

2014 was his best as he drafted Schneider in the first round and Edler in the third round and Hansen in the 9th round.

The most prominent players he drafted after that were 2005 first rounder Bourdon, 2005 second rounder Raymond and 2006 first rounder Grabner. 

His most prominent free agent signings were Mitchell, Burrows and Carter. 

Besides that, I will end this post on a positive note. Here’s the positive note. 

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

Ok fine. Im hard on Nonis. Do here is an appreciation post:

2014 was his best as he drafted Schneider in the first round and Edler in the third round and Hansen in the 9th round.

The most prominent players he drafted after that were 2005 first rounder Bourdon, 2005 second rounder Raymond and 2006 first rounder Grabner. 

His most prominent free agent signings were Mitchell, Burrows and Carter. 

Besides that, I will end this post on a positive note. Here’s the positive note. 

Mind you he did get two 2nd rounders for Dan Cloutier to the kings after the Luongo deal. Not a bad return for a goalie who was no longer wanted in Van.

Edited by EP Phone Home

On 6/9/2019 at 9:53 PM, RowdyCanuck said:

Rather bring in Burkie again. He knows how to trade and draft.  Almost every team his built has went to the final other then the leafs. That's a pretty good record 

I’d also be ok with this.  He lives and breathes hockey and builds teams the way I like them...with a lot of truculence and values size as well as skill.  What he did in ANA won them a cup...a wonderful throwback team and he took an already tough team and added May and a few other guys that could play and fight and hit etc just for good measure...he knew their penalty kill could keep them in it .... spent half the time on it during their run and still creamed all the teams they came up against.   Thornton, Parros...Getzlaf, Penner, Perry, Moen, Pronger etc...was a dirty team that intimidated and shut other teams down at the same time.  

Don’t think he’d do the same thing now as things have changed, but you can bet he’d be looking deep into the intangibles and will be one of the first to notice and bring up that maybe speed and skill have had their moment and things are back to how they’ve always been (playoff teams with size, toughness and durability are back on top thanks to the last two finals)...

On 6/2/2019 at 8:57 PM, ilduce39 said:

Gillis: 37 Draft picks

NHL’ers: 

Hodgson(10OA)

Schroeder(22OA)

Connauton(3rd Round)

Gaunce(26 OA)

Hutton (5th round)

Horvat (9OA)

Bo is obviously the darling of this bunch. Future captain and all around stud. 

Schroeder and Gaunce are non issues, though played NHL games.  

Hodgson was a decent pick but traded for Kassian in a terrible trade.  

Connauton was traded with a 2nd round pick for Derek Roy “baby” (lol). 

Hutton seems like a nice kid and good value for a 5th rounder.

Benning (34 picks)

Virtanen(6OA)

McCann(24 OA)

Demko (2nd Round)

Tryamkin (3rd Round)

Forsling (5th round)

Boeser (23 OA)

Gaudette (5th round)

Pettersson (5OA)

Hughes (6OA)

Benning already has more, and higher quality, NHL talent in less picks.  

Pettersson and Hughes are higher than anything Gillis got a crack at but also seem to be absolute studs for the picks.

Jake is underwhelming thus far, but is if nothing else an NHL’er. 

Getting rid of them, there’s still more value in Benning’s drafts. McCann and Boeser are infinitely better than Schroeder or Gaunce in the “late 1st” categories.  McCann was moved, but if Pearson plays the way he did last season that’s solid value in a roundabout way.

Gaudette and Tryamkin both have pretty good upside, even after the big guys departure all signs point to him giving it another go after his contract is up.

Forsling was moved away for a poor return.

This isn’t even including the 3rd overall prospect pool Benning is sitting on: Juolevi, Madden, Woo, Lind, Rathbone, Lockwood, DiPietro... Brisebois got some NHL time last year.  Is there another NHL’er or two in there?

Pretty clear that JB has been a lot better at this aspect of the job, even with the benefit of higher picks.

So the fact that Benning had a swedish topscout that knew everything about Petey is all Bennings scouting? 

Then, another fact is that Gillis never had the chance to draft as high as Benning did so it's virtual impossible to compare them. 

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

I’d also be ok with this.  He lives and breathes hockey and builds teams the way I like them...with a lot of truculence and values size as well as skill.  What he did in ANA won them a cup...a wonderful throwback team and he took an already tough team and added May and a few other guys that could play and fight and hit etc just for good measure...he knew their penalty kill could keep them in it .... spent half the time on it during their run and still creamed all the teams they came up against.   Thornton, Parros...Getzlaf, Penner, Perry, Moen, Pronger etc...was a dirty team that intimidated and shut other teams down at the same time.  

Don’t think he’d do the same thing now as things have changed, but you can bet he’d be looking deep into the intangibles and will be one of the first to notice and bring up that maybe speed and skill have had their moment and things are back to how they’ve always been (playoff teams with size, toughness and durability are back on top thanks to the last two finals)...

That's the type of hockey I love. Burkie was also hard on contracts and had no problem trading players if they wanted to much money. That's some where he could help Jim. 

I also think their building style are similar. Fast nasty hockey. Jim has said many times he wants a team thats harder to play against. 

Jim also int the best at trading or I should say he over pays most of the time but Burkie has a talents at trades ha good or bad not many gms have a set like Burkie getting the Sedins and then going to the Ducks and bringing in Pronger and then the leafs made two big moves. He would be perfect ha I can't think of a Gm with his type of track record and that's not evening touching his draft record ha 

if I was Seattle I would be banging down his door ha

6 hours ago, Timråfan said:

So the fact that Benning had a swedish topscout that knew everything about Petey is all Bennings scouting? 

Then, another fact is that Gillis never had the chance to draft as high as Benning did so it's virtual impossible to compare them. 

Benning’s drafting is better than Gillis’ even without the top picks.  Not to mention Gradin (and Delorme, who I’ve seen credited with the Pettersson pick) worked for Gillis as well.

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

Benning’s drafting is better than Gillis’ even without the top picks.  Not to mention Gradin (and Delorme, who I’ve seen credited with the Pettersson pick) worked for Gillis as well.

I can't say much about it else than there is more aspects than just Gillis and Benning regarding draft success. 

6 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Every team in the NHL have scouts in Sweden, as well as other hockey countries.  At the end of the day, the GM makes the final decision on who the team drafts.  If he makes the wrong decision, it's on him; nobody blames the scouting staff.  So yeah, he gets the credit, but he is also  a modest man who tells the public when a scout deserves the credit.

Gillis had 2 top 10 picks (the 2010 pick was traded), while Benning has had 4.  The big difference is that Benning  has done a better job in the selection of players beyond the top 10 and into the later rounds.

On 4/26/2019 at 3:27 PM, aqua59 said:

https://vancouversun.com/category/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks

I personally have mixed feelings on this however the more i think about it the more I like the idea of Gillis returning in this capacity. 

That said I wonder if Mike would even want to come back. 

I keep getting the feeling that the front office is weak and could use a boost in a big way. 

Well what do you think? Lets hear it. 

giphy.gif

Would be a mistake for Gillis to come back. 

Speaks volumes that professionals and top hockey people don’t want to come here and work for FA if it’s even be visited to see if Gillis would return. 

Full autonomy the only way anyone one should sign on to be a GM/president of this club and that’s something FA will never give. 

Gilis did a great job here his record as gm is proof. Franchise BEST. 

He should have fired the scouting staff since they are the ones he has to trust on drafting and he’s publicly stated similar a sentiment. 

On 6/2/2019 at 11:23 AM, ilduce39 said:

“Gillis was better at drafting than Benning” is the hot take nobody asked for.  

I don’t have much of a bone to pick with Gillis - credit where it’s due, he put the finishing touches on the best team we’ve ever seen.  He left the prospect pool absolutely barren but I’d take that for a cup any day.  I hated the Schneider / Luongo fiasco.  That was bush league and my main reason for wanting him gone.  That Schneider trade does look good in hindsight with the way Bo has blossomed, however.

Gillis didn’t just get unlucky drafting Hodgson and his illness, though.. he drafted Hodgson and traded him for useless Zack Kassian who, lets face it, never looked good. That’s a major swing and a miss too.  That’s 10OA value down the toilet for a guy who Jake just matched in goals (4 less points). And Jake looks to be on the upswing and the better overall player. So if we’re whining about Jake in the JB vs Gillis debate, the Kassian deal, IMO makes it a wash at this point.

I'm the biggest Gillis supporter ever, but my god.  That was a terrible move even if Kassian developed into a decent player.  The time to win was 2011 not in 3 years or whenever Kassian was supposed to come into his prime.  You wasted big value on a player that brought ZERO value to your cup aspirations. 

• Cheers 2

On 6/9/2019 at 6:53 PM, RowdyCanuck said:

Rather bring in Burkie again. He knows how to trade and draft.  Almost every team his built has went to the final other then the leafs. That's a pretty good record 

Except he can’t get a goalie.  Good thing Benning already drafted one.  Even Dave Nonis was able to draft a goalie and trade for one.  The cup Burke won.......he inherited that goalie.  Tattoo Dan Cloutiers picture on Burkie’s butt.  That or Goalie of the future Weekes....

25 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Except he can’t get a goalie.  Good thing Benning already drafted one.  Even Dave Nonis was able to draft a goalie and trade for one.  The cup Burke won.......he inherited that goalie.  Tattoo Dan Cloutiers picture on Burkie’s butt.  That or Goalie of the future Weekes....

To fair his not the only GM that couldn't  find a goalie ha Snow comes to mind too ha if you look pasted the goalie problems the guy knows how to build a winner....

14 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

To fair his not the only GM that couldn't  find a goalie ha Snow comes to mind too ha if you look pasted the goalie problems the guy knows how to build a winner....

Heh, Garth Snow was I think one of Burkies goalies here in Vancouver:P

Snow also had to do with Charles Wang as his boss.

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Heh, Garth Snow was I think one of Burkies goalies here in Vancouver:P

Snow also had to do with Charles Wang as his boss.

Yea he was lol true Burkie had to put up with iron mike and him almost running nazzy out of town....I rather deal with Wang then that @$$*** iron mike.