The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on SN 650 (6/5/2019)

Rate this topic

HerrDrFunk

Here it comes guys:

Tanev + Jake for Zaitsev + Marleau + Nylander.

I'd be ok with Zaitsev, but Marleau's 39, and after Nylander's contract battle (or hissy fit) with the leafs... Fk no. That entitled attitude has no place in our locker room.

I'd rather see us go after Panarin in FA (3 years @6.5m/year), sweet talk Tryamkin, and somehow dump Eriksson's contract (there's gotta be a way).

I get that Jake isn't putting up points like we'd like to see, but @1.25m/year, I'm more for letting him develop, than a trade. Contract year for him as well, so I'm betting he brings everything he can. He'll likely end up a base 3rd line winger, but he's got the skills to move up and down the line up.

Boeser-Pettersson-Panarin

Baertschi-Horvat-Pearson/Virtanen

Leivo-Gaudette-Pearson/Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle/Sutter-Motte

Edler-Tanev

Tryamkin-Hughes

Hutton-Stetcher

Schenn

Just a line up thought without knowing who's getting resigned

Edited by Chickenspear
forgot quote
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Haha, I was waiting for the recorded version before i was going to post. 

I'm happy to see us involved in all these free agency rumors. Jimbo confirming that he wants top 4 D and top 6 forwards is a great thing. We've finished the hardest part of a rebuild in establishing a new core; it's time to add to that and push for a playoff spot. 

I was surprised RE his Eriksson comments. Both in that he hasn't talked to him yet, and is telling the media he will. We'll see if anything comes of it, if Eriksson really believes he's better suited elsewhere maybe we can avoid the signing bonus and mutually terminate. One can hope. 

Unfortunately, Eriksson is not stupid...he just sucks. :P

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

All that is fine, but the term in his contract is what does it for me, If he had one two or even three years left on his deal I'd be fine with it. It doesn't sound like there would be much to sweeten the pot if at all from Toronto's end so there won't be a much reward for committing to him for that long and helping Toronto out. 

Also, the main reason Zaitsev wants a trade is because of the media in Toronto. He's really not going to any media relief here. We ran Gudbranson out of town this year so if he's looking for a long leash with fans this isn't the spot. 

Well i didn't, I liked Guddy :P I think thats media self-importance at work there, I'm sure they'd love to think they had that kind of power. 

I'm not going to delve too deeply into it, I can see why teams might want to take a chance on him and I won't set my hair on fire if Jim and his staff see a fit. But I won't care if we pass on him either. 

As much as virtanen is a disappointment as a 6 OA I feel like we should keep him. He is a perfect third liner who can play a strong north south game that we need. Is he capable as a top 6? Probably not. But when you look at him as a bottom 6 he is a very good option. I am hoping jake is still with us moving forward and be a Raffi Torres type player.

1 hour ago, Vanuckles said:

One way or another. After the bonus is paid out on July 1st, he gets 9 million over the next 3 years with a 6 million cap hit. If we can offload him to a team like OTT who NEED players without it costing us an arm and a leg, then that's one possible outcome. If not, there's always the option of retaining 50% of his contract, giving him a 3 mill cap hit for the team that's picking him up. That's actually decent value for what he brings which is a bottom 6 forward who's decent on the penalty kill.

Bobby Ryan?  7.25 cap hit (7.5 actual dollars) for two years.  Less term for us, more money cleared when Elias needs to be re-upped.  

Ottawa gets 6M cap hit for only 3M.  One year more on the deal.

Ryan could be useful for us, Erikkson demonstrably not very useful for us.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, spliced said:

Juolevi still hasn't even skated wow. That's almost 6 months of not just being out but not even skating.

Will this guy ever crack the Canucks blue line....... it’s been forever since we have drafted him and there is not much progress to speak of. Sure, playing ok in Utica is a good sign but that’s not gonna cut it for a projected top pairing dman. I hope he will prove us all wrong and makes the team right out of the gate next year. 

13 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

Tanev @ 50% (Add a prospect like Lind?) for Kapanen and Zaitsev 

Trade For Zucker (What would it take?) 

Zucker - Petey - Boeser 

Pearson - Horvat - Kapanen 

Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen 

Eriksson - Beagle - Leivo 

Edler - Zaitsev 

Hughes - Schenn 

Hutton - Stetcher 

Marky 

Demko 

Could make a real splash. 

Minnesota wants to get younger / faster and talk of adding goal scoring.   All their top-9 are left shots other than Kunin - so they probably want someone that shoots right.  

They have too many Fs especially at C and none are playmaking Cs but rather shutdown Cs.   Koivu, Eriksson Ek, Rask and even newly signed Sturm are all C3s.  Staal has struggled a lot last season but he's their only top-6 C at this point.  Kunin has showed well at C but he's still developing and the position is crowded.  

4 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

As much as virtanen is a disappointment as a 6 OA I feel like we should keep him. He is a perfect third liner who can play a strong north south game that we need. Is he capable as a top 6? Probably not. But when you look at him as a bottom 6 he is a very good option. I am hoping jake is still with us moving forward and be a Raffi Torres type player.

He's not Raffi though. Not even close. Jake doesn't have that killer instinct in him like Torres did. He's a passive player who doesn't really like confrontation. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

We'll see if anything comes of it, if Eriksson really believes he's better suited elsewhere maybe we can avoid the signing bonus and mutually terminate. One can hope. 

If only the Canucks had bought the media like MLSE did, they could have them pimping Eriksson like crazy to grease his skids outta town.  Regardless, he's likely played his last game here.

18 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I don't like Zucker either. I've always thought he was overrated and what he'd likely cost would not be worth it. He scored over 60 points in 2017-18 but has consistently been a 40 point guy and he's making as much as Horvat. He's also barely done anything in the Playoffs in his career. There are better ways we can use our assets, mainly keeping them. 

The upside is that he showed his contract year wasn't typical, thus he's overpaid and will come cheaper.  Offer them up Hutton and another contract we wish to dispose of.

8 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

Will this guy ever crack the Canucks blue line....... it’s been forever since we have drafted him and there is not much progress to speak of. Sure, playing ok in Utica is a good sign but that’s not gonna cut it for a projected top pairing dman. I hope he will prove us all wrong and makes the team right out of the gate next year. 

Not everyone cracks the lineup right out of the gate. Look at Josi as an example: drafted in 08, didn’t make the nhl until 2011-12, now he’s one of the best in the game. He didn’t have injuries hamper him like Juolevi does either. 

28 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

I'd rather see us go after Panarin in FA (3 years @6.5m/year), sweet talk Tryamkin, and somehow dump Eriksson's contract (there's gotta be a way).

Why do some of us act like we’re the only ones offering him a contract? He’s getting 6/7 years @ 8-10 million per.