The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

The sad part is these so called "fans" would rather Miller fail so they can say they're right in that Benning sucks.

Even the Shinkaruk for Granlund trade is pretty definitive at this point, but yet people still complain about because Granlund hasn't become some 30 goal scorer or whatever expectation they have in hopes that he's some incredible steal.

Miller wont fail per say. Like most said , he is a good all around addition.  Dont think many are arguing that, myself included.  What most are saying is we got fleeced by a cap strapped team in terms of cost. Plain and simple to me. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

Thanks for posting. I think he could fit in well to our top six. I do think we overpaid would have been happier with 2 2nds than the first and 3rd. Is it is what it is though so hopefully it works out. This should put team tank to rest as it will be better if we make the playoffs this year as the pick will be later. Hopefully we can add another top 6 forward and top 4 D as we currently don't seem to have the depth to contend.

• Upvote 1

Just now, cuporbust said:

Miller wont fail per say. Like most said , he is a good all around addition.  Dont think many are arguing that, myself included.  What most are saying is we got fleeced by a cap strapped team in terms of cost. Plain and simple to me. 

Not when you consider every other team wants a player like that. One that is a low cap hit, high producer and only 26years old. You can’t take as much advantage as you think. There is always another team out there that will pay the first pick (a pick that may not even end up being a pro player). 

• Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I hope JB is going hard after Colin Miller in Vegas and Zaitsev. Both teams need to shed cap and we have room. This is not JBs strength but we need a couple D men like Miller and Zaitsev.

Come on JB!!!

Big no on Zaitsev, the Bruins in each of the last two playoffs proved he will not play heavy or raise his game when it counts. Miller is the obvious choice with an all rounded game from physicality to scoring, from regular season to post season !

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, babalu said:

Thanks for posting. I think he could fit in well to our top six. I do think we overpaid would have been happier with 2 2nds than the first and 3rd. Is it is what it is though so hopefully it works out. This should put team tank to rest as it will be better if we make the playoffs this year as the pick will be later. Hopefully we can add another top 6 forward and top 4 D as we currently don't seem to have the depth to contend.

What doesn't seem to be factored in with this trade by many is Tampa didn't get our first in this draft. They may be waiting two years for it. You don't think the price should be a little higher when you may have to wait two years for the primary asset? The odds are in favor of them waiting on a bottom half first rounder while giving us two years to make the playoffs. We don't actually need to contend within two years, just improve enough to make the playoffs. But every good player added, whether through trade or free agency, gets us  a step closer to contending.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

That's ideal. But JB will be gone and new GM in if miss playoffs. 

Best thing is make playoffs both years and hope it's not a top 10 pick going to TBL

If new GM comes in who knows what happens. He likely makes some changes. 

If a new GM comes in there won't be massive changes. The core is already in place, at that point he'll just be trying to add to that group. Except hopefully he's actually half decent on the pro-side.

At this point it doesn't matter to me what happens with Jim. The asset management under this regime has been terrible, and now we have mortgaged the future. 

Personally I want to be in the playoffs, and if we give up next years pick atleast we've gotten over with rather than risking a lottery pick.

But valuewise next years draft will be better than 2021 & we'll have another year to build the team, so from that standpoint I do hope it ends up being a 18-25 first rounder in 2021.

• Wat 1

4 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

You’re actually counting on “franchise cornerstone” (GMJB-speak) Brandon Sutter to be healthy enough to make a contribution and/or finish the season as a Canuck? Yikes! That’s setting the bar pretty low, bud. And, you really see Gaudette centering the 3rd line next year? You’re sure this is a playoff team if he is? I’m not.  

The term was "foundational player":blink:

I remember my first beer!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

This thread is crazy. From the doubters (like myself) melting down early, to the pro-Benning crowd acting as if nothing has happened.

Here's the situation from my perspective. The asset management has been HORRIBLE under this regime first and foremost. Which is a compounding issue adding to why this risk is a tough one to swallow.

The 2nd worst team in the NHL the 4 season hasn't even tried to add a 1st round pick. They haven't even entertained the idea. That's why reading comments like 'some people just want us to draft an entire team' is maddening! They should've been adding assets long ago! Rather than trying to cut every corner!

That's why we are coming into this draft, after 4 years of being a doormat of the league, with basically the allotted number of picks over that time frame. If they had added assets, used cap space, sold off veterans, this would've been way more palatable.

Jim Benning's drafting & luck with lottery picks is the only thing saving him. Just imagine if we had Cody Glass instead of Pettersson how things would look.

The team has missed the playoffs 4 straight years, the prospect pool lacks depth, the NHL roster lacks depth, and we are behind in draft picks. Those are the facts of the matter.

I love adding JT Miller from an on ice perspective, he's a great fit for what we need. And quite frankly I think a late 1st rounder is certainly fair value for that player. 

But he's not an elite player & there's definite risk with where our team is at. That's hard to look past. Hoping for the best.

And FTR: I don't blame this all on Jim, I think he's a decent hockey guy. Ownership's likely had control of the directive for years now.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 1

JT is a beauty of this is the price for a top 6 player w size and grit on a cap friendly contract who can also play C hmmm I'm pretty ok with it. 

This deal signals the rebuild is over and JB is now invested in contending. What's not to like? 

We still have cap to spare. The UFA market is nutz I'd pay 5 and change for a 50-60 pt 20 goal scorer every day of the week. 

We just got a lot better here. And with Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind, Gadjovich, Gaudette, Linus, Madden comming we stand to be able to continue to inject cap controlled youth into the lineup as depth for years to come. I'd do Jake and Juolevi straight up for JT every day 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, IRR said:

I’ve been a Canucks fan since 1988. I’ve spent years & years reading this forum, but never posting on this forum. This is the first time. While I appreciate that everyone is entitled to their opinion and are entitled to criticize things this organization does, I’m extremely tired of the constant negativity / ignorance from the sports media and a large portion of the fan base. I feel like they’re looking for perfection across the organization and even if that was the case (which is impossible), the negativity / ignorance would still happen. Even the best organizations, GM’s, coaches, players etc are not perfect. There’s ups and downs and there’s wins and loses in every aspect of the organization. I hope that Miller and the team kill it next year and shove it down everyone’s throats...for Jims sake, for Travis sake, for the players sake, for the teams sake and mostly for the fans sake...especially the fans that deserve it most! There’s a huge difference between being knowledgeable (understanding) / positive feedback (criticism) and constant negativity / ignorance! Onwards and upwards!!!

13615400_10153936091879495_3217223945636177166_n.jpg

Edited by spook007
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

hasn't even tried to add a 1st round pick. They haven't even entertained the idea. 

You should add your brain damaged conjecture at the bottom of your wall of text so that people have to read the whole thing before seeing how full of crap you are. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, coryberg said:

You should add your brain damaged conjecture at the bottom of your wall of text so that people have to read the whole thing before seeing how full of crap you are. 

Ah yes, personal insults rather than any kind of response. So how am I wrong?

'We think we can turn this thing around quickly' - Jim Benning 2014.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 1