The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

28 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Kane is the better of the three. Go ahead, show me stats to prove me wrong. Kane is still better.

He is better and paid $2 million more.

Evander Kane signed a 7 year / $49,000,000 contract with the San Jose Sharks, including a $12,000,000 signing bonus, $49,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $7,000,000. In 2019-20, Kane will earn a base salary of $6,000,000 and a signing bonus of $2,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $7,000,000.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

A certain elements of the fanbase was already on the ledge from that rumour, so trading a first was the dagger in the heart

I mean... that element lives on the ledge so there tend to be a lot of daggers :o

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I'm never a big fan of trading first round draft picks, but I've always accepted you need to give quality to get quality.

It's kinda funny reading people just howl over it. Miller will have an immediate impact, the 10-32 pick in 2021 won't make an impact for 3 years, if ever.

We've needed a heavy, skilled, top 6 LW for YEARS. We finally trade for one, manage to keep all of our prospects and people wanna cry about a 10-32 OA pick.

Boohoo

I like this move by JB. Go get us a legit RD.

Let's win some &^@#ing games dammit!

Well 4 the same price he could have had Trouba (the jets top scorring dman), but hey, todays deal made more sense 

• Wat 2

Just now, cuporbust said:

Well 4 the same price he could have had Trouba (the jets top scorring dman), but hey, todays deal made more sense 

I'd have been happy with Trouba.

Sorry, I haven't been engaged with much outside of the family AND CDC today

Trouba got traded?

7 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

For one more year, then he'd bolt or be paid close to double what Miller will get for the next 4 seasons.

Not even remotely the same

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Trebreh said:

yes and im not too worried about Calgary, they are chokers. 

imagine having multiple players with career years and still almost got swept in the 1st round by a one line team :lol: 

I see them as a bubble team next season tbh, they had a lot of things go right for them last season. 

With all due respect, Calgary, Nashville, Washington and Tampa Bay were all leading their divisions and they were all eliminated in the first round. 

Just now, Me_ said:

With all due respect, Calgary, Nashville, Washington and Tampa Bay were all leading their divisions and they were all eliminated in the first round. 

Yeah, but I agree that Calgary has other issues.  They seem to be built for the regular season, or at least have regular season type players.  Not enough grit or fortitude when the going gets tough, and their goaltending is STILL questionable, plus being up against the cap needing to sign Tkachuk and others.

• Upvote 3

Intially, I thought the Canucks paid too much.  Now, I think it's an even trade. 

Gave up a 1st round and 3rd round pick, but received a TOP 6 NHL gritty, heavy power forward with skills. 

Miller was a 1st rounder (15th overall) in his draft year.  Is he the 216 lbs Burrows for Petty and the Flow?

JB said he was going to find a top 6 forward and a top 4 D man.  One down and one to go.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Took some time to sit on this and think about it.  

Looks like JB is on the clock, claiming the rebuild is over and he's banking on the team having major progression over the next two seasons.   

Overall JT is still young and locked up on a decent cap hit, so the first question is, was he worth a first?  The answer is.....yes he probably is....

But the question canucks fans need to be asking is....Is that a price we can afford to make?....And that answer is....we will see, personally i'm not a big fan of moving picks that far into the future..There are too many variables to go against you.  Reason being, you immediately loose value on that pick and going forwards Tampa bay gets to play with house money.  

Canucks aren't a JT miller away from being a contender.  We aren't a JT miller away from even being a playoff lock.  We still have some major missing pieces and it starts with that D core.  That is the position canucks needed to be looking to move assets for to improve.  Not the nice to have player like Miller..  Realistically the Miller player is the type you look to find in UFA.  This year it's Dzingel, Nyquist, Lee, Ferklund and Connolly that fill a similar roll and likely for a similar price tag (maybe slightly higher).  Going after a player like that in UFA allows you to use those value assets to move for a bigger need... a need that you can't typically (and wont this year) fill from UFA.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3