The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

Hmm... So now we've got an army...of forwards...

Petey, Bo & Boes (Top 3)

Miller, Pearson & Baertschi (Top 6, for now)

Sutter, Virtanen, Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson & Leivo (could be set for bottom 6)

Goldy, Gaudette, Granlund, Spooner, Schaller & Motte (all fighting to get in to bottom 6)

That's 4-5 forwards too much and that's not counting on any young guns challenging for spots... And... barely none of them can get us anything in return. (Perhaps Goldy & Gaudette, but I'd like to keep those two.)

Guessing we're gonna let a lot of guys just walking out the door!?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Miller>>>>>>>>>Hayes at 7mil

I’d rather have Hayes, a 1st and a 3rd.

Would you trade Hayes, 1st and a 3rd for Miller and a 5th?

Edited by mpt

Anyway, what do I think of this trade?

At first it looks like Benning is sacrificing the future to save his job this year.  But actually he's always traded our draft picks away to try to compete NOW so it's more of the same.  The only difference is instead of trading prospects & 2nd round picks he's now traded a 1st rounder.  

Miller is the best player Benning has ever traded for so he will help.  This team is also better than the dumpster fires he tried to prop up in the past.  So can Miller make an impact on a team that has a shot at the playoffs?  Yes.  Do I think a 1st & 3rd is worth that, at the stage this team is at?  No.

In the end I hate this trade.  This management group is only good at ONE thing.  Drafting.  So trading their 1st & 3rd away in what is supposed to be a very deep draft coming up is IMO a huge mistake.  

Is this team ready to actually win some playoff rounds?  No.  Players drafted this/next year should be helping this team when it his it's prime.  Instead we spend those assets on a type of guy that's available in free agency every year.  I'm feeling like an Islanders fan in the Milbury years.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Yeah why plan for the future as a franchise.  

Maybe if we were cup contenders I'd be all in for slitting our throats (like Gillis did) by trading all our picks away. 

I love how people here praise all the 1st round picks playing on this team but the one we just traded away is apparently worthless.  LOL jesus. 

We traded a first round pick for a former first round pick (15) in his early prime plus a lottery ticket.  BTW since 2001 only 7 guys from the third round on have played 100 games in the NHL, (on the Canucks) and only half of them were good...food for thought

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

Just now, CanadianRugby said:

At first it looks like Benning is sacrificing the future to save his job this year.  But actually he's always traded our draft picks away to try to compete NOW so it's more of the same.  The only difference is instead of trading prospects & 2nd round picks he's now traded a 1st rounder.  

Miller is the best player Benning has ever traded for so he will help.  This team is also better than the dumpster fires he tried to prop up in the past.  So can Miller make an impact on a team that has a shot at the playoffs?  Yes.  Do I think a 1st & 3rd is worth that, at the stage this team is at?  No.

In the end I hate this trade.  This management group is only good at ONE thing.  Drafting.  So trading their 1st & 3rd away in what is supposed to be a very deep draft coming up is IMO a huge mistake.  

Is this team ready to actually win some playoff rounds?  No.  Players drafted this/next year should be helping this team when it his it's prime.  Instead we spend those assets on a type of guy that's available in free agency every year.  I'm feeling like an Islanders fan in the Milbury years.  

It's ok I know you're still grieving your Leafs tragic loss and trading a 1st for a 6th. Devastating. :sadno:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Considering Hayes didn't make it to FA irrelevant. Next. 

Completely relevant when he was traded recently for a 5th.

Hayes, 1st, 3rd or Miller and a 5th.

Again, bad trade

9 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Could say the same interacting with a Leaf fan. Go fluff Dumbass more troll. 

Me thinking it was smart for the Leafs to acquire draft picks while rebuilding is common sense, it doesn't make me a Leaf fan.  I think most moves they've made since then have been at best questionable.  

You on the other hand cheer for the Bruins, have Marchand in your sig and rubbed Canucks fans faces in it while the Bruins were doing well.  

3 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Give your head a shake.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1