The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

One good thing about this trade. If Bo or Petey go down to injury, we now have a guy that can step into a top six center role while they're out and keep us afloat. Until now, the best options we had if one of them went down were Sutter or Granlund.

This is what depth feels like :wub:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Are people still going to be upset if he acquires a late 1st next year for say Tanev or Sutter and basically replaces this?

Benning will go down as the greatest GM in NHL history if he gets a 1st rounder for Sutter :lol:

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

hfboard Canuck 'fans' 

"Benning is doing nothing to improve the team" 

JB picks up a top 6 forward and lottery protected the pick 

"whhaaa our futurezzz" 

that 2021 pick would need another 2-3 years before that pick can even hope to make an impact. how exciting... 

Very good point on the timeline of that pick

by then we hopefully have our first of many cups under this dynasty.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, VIC_CITY said:

Benning will go down as the greatest GM in NHL history if he gets a 1st rounder for Sutter :lol:

If he can stay healthy this year and with retention...no reason you can't get a late 1st for that from a contender...maybe need a small add or something.

Pretty sure we were offered a late 1st 1'ish year ago for him.

11 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Well considering TG just said he will play with EP and Boeser, as long as he's healthy he'll be a lock for 50 points at the minimum. 

If Miller's going to be at LW, I hope that means Baertschi is on his way out then. Otherwise, they've got no balance at C, with 3 lefties and 1 RH on the 4th line. Assuming Gaudette is in the press box or traded, of course.

2 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Next years first round is going to be crazy good though :sadno:

Whats the conditions of the 1st?

The very top of the draft has some VERY good players but I think the draft drops off in quality later in the 1st. At least as far as what's being predicted of 16 year olds thus far.

4 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

Yay. Yet another LH Center:sadno:

I'd be really excited with this acquisition if Miller were a rightie. 

Uh - Sutter, Beagle and Gaudette are all right-handed....

And it isn't determined yet where Miller will play - whether that's on EP's wing - or whether he takes draws and defensive responsibities on that line to lighten the impact on EP.

Regardless, it doesn't really matter much.  The thing is - they have a right handed sniper in Boeser for that line - so I'm not sure why it would matter much, if at all.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, thecoolstuff said:

Definitely overpaid. Miller has to produce 50+ points annually for our conditional 1st rounder to be worth it. 

If you place the value of the conditional 1st round pick as being worth 50 points per year then that seems reasonable.  He has scored 161 points in the last 3 years in a 3rd line checking role, if there is no improvement in his play at all then he is definitely underpaid, by your own standards.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Quite frankly, I think this cap dump take is beyond stupid. A cap dump is a player with no value. Miller clearly had a lot of value around the league. We can't just ignore that because Tampa is up against the cap. Maybe you get the player at a discount if the other GM is desperate but this clearly wasn't the case. 30 other NHL teams would love to have Miller on their team. Did we over pay? Probably. But this narrative that we paid significant assets for someone's cap dump is just plain stupid. We paid significant assets for a very valuable player. 

I don’t know why people insist that a guy who put up the best ppg on Tampa after the big 3 forwards and is signed to a reasonable yearly cap hit is a cap dump.

as someone else said ... look at what the jets gave up for Hayes and how long did he stay there. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1