The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

4 minutes ago, danaimo said:

If you place the value of the conditional 1st round pick as being worth 50 points per year then that seems reasonable.  He has scored 161 points in the last 3 years in a 3rd line checking role, if there is no improvement in his play at all then he is definitely underpaid, by your own standards.

I drafted Miler in my hockey pool so I would watch Tampa games a fair amount. He originally started on a line with Stamkos and Kucherov. When they started to struggle the lines were shifted around but he played a fair amount of time on the top line and on the PP.

16 minutes ago, Baggins said:

You're one those Ballard, Raymond, and a 2nd gets you a superstar kind of guys aren't you?

The reason they get a 1st instead of that 2nd is being willing to wait up to two years to actually get it. You don't make a team wait for their return for free.

No, I just don't think a rebuilding team should be giving up a first. I am not sure we got a guy who is worth a first plus we helped a team in cap trouble in the process.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Why make this trade today? Why not next Friday when the pressure on capped out teams is greatest just before July 1?

Is there no other player the Canucks could go get for a possible lottery pick a third and a player? Miller was the best?

Whannnh chee chee ca ca poo poo wa waaah.

boo boo bii bii daa daa goo...

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

and languish in medocrity while Boes, Bo, Petey etc move fwd toward large contracts and UFA status?

No, just look for a better deal on a top six forward. I guarantee there will be some deals in the next while for top 6 guys that you will wonder how teams got them for such a good deal. Even Subban didn't returm a first.

8 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Why make this trade today? Why not next Friday when the pressure on capped out teams is greatest just before July 1?

Is there no other player the Canucks could go get for a possible lottery pick a third and a player? Miller was the best?

Ya...lets just wait while another team ends up acquiring him. We werent the only suitors.

Really don’t mind this trade. When Tampa gets this pick,we should be a playoff team again, so later round. Figure that we have time and assets to leverage another 1st rounder before then anyway.

In meantime, we just got immediately better and without having to spend heavily on a UFA.

• Upvote 1

Just now, babalu said:

No, just look for a better deal on a top six forward. I guarantee there will be some deals in the next while for top 6 guys that you will wonder how teams got them for such a good deal. Even Subban didn't returm a first.

PK is 30, trending downward, and has three more years at 9 million.  And he returned two high seconds.  

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

imagine if he is a 60 point winger playing with Petey and Brock, we would've saved ourselves an 8-9 million dollar contract for someone like Duchene. he will be a steal at 5.25m 

Shouldn't any player playing regularly with them score 60 pts?

31 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Well considering TG just said he will play with EP and Boeser, as long as he's healthy he'll be a lock for 50 points at the minimum. 

Does that comment mean there is no competition for the position, it is gifted? What if Boeser does the Nylander thing and demands a Mathews contract? What does Benning do then? Not probable but as possible as anything.

27 minutes ago, Yan86 said:

Did people forget he was a mid first round pick as well? 50 point versatile 2 way forward that could play wing/center that goes to the dirty areas.

He's developed and going into his prime right now with a reasonable cap.

I see this as we paid a 3rd to speed up the process which is totally worth it. Plus not all mid first round pick could end up being a 50 point player.

I see this as a win unless the first round pick ends up winning the lottery.

Virtanen was a Benning top 6 pick and ..... Gudbranson was a #3 and ..... so what difference if he is a mid round pick 7 years ago?

26 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

One good thing about this trade. If Bo or Petey go down to injury, we now have a guy that can step into a top six center role while they're out and keep us afloat. Until now, the best options we had if one of them went down were Sutter or Granlund.

What about Gaudette? I thought posters were pushing him into that level?

Has anyone posted Miller's playing record?

Don't fire the team you fire the coach? or the GM!

Name three good trades Benning has made that have made a difference for this team, Sven may not play due to concussions, a history he had before he was obtained.

Name 4 non clause contracts over 3.5 million?

Or Name all the contracts with and without clause he has made or traded for.

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy

This is the type of veteran to acquire to grow a team...especially when the majority of the core is under 24 years old. JT Miller is a veteran and he hasn't entered his prime yet...similar to Bo Horvat.

JB needs to shed the LE contract and trade some of the veteran leadership in order to get the required pieces...i.e., "D" men.

Find a cap strapped team and offer a package with some salary retention for a young up and coming "D" man, who has a high cap hit that a cap strapped team needs to shed/ move.

1 minute ago, babalu said:

No, I just don't think a rebuilding team should be giving up a first. I am not sure we got a guy who is worth a first plus we helped a team in cap trouble in the process.

A first that could be two years out and us a playoff team. What so many of you seem to ignore is Tampa has to wait for that pick and it's anywhere from 3 to 5 years away from stepping on NHL ice. If we're still rebuilding by then some current core will be getting traded for assets.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, babalu said:

not guys who just turned 26, are on very good deals with 4 years remaining and play the way MIller plays.  Again, I don't like giving up a 1st rounder, but it will be a lter forst and will be 2025, likely, before that player even gets a ctack at the NHL.  By then, the core of Boes, Petey, Bo etc etc will likly be broken up.

• Upvote 1