The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

On 6/23/2019 at 7:05 AM, Kosmo Kramer said:

I would like him here at a decent cap hit.

I don't really know what he is worth though. What are some comparables to him and their contracts worth?  And the fact every year it takes more and more to sign UFAs.

He is also waiting to hear back from Winnipeg, it's possible he just stays there.

Imagine him and Tryamkin on the back end. Suddenly that is a big defense.

On NHL 18 I had him and Chara as a pairing, fun was had.  

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

Same with Edler, and fortunately the team seems to have that stance on reasonably firm ground.  They're well-aware of what's coming up in a couple of years.

Yeah. I certainly hope so. Edler might be miffed to see Myers getting a huge contract after he took a pretty big haircut to show his allegiance. 

16 minutes ago, Filthy McNasty said:

CDC cry’s for change, change is actually happening now and people are crying for that !

confused ryan gosling GIF

I don't understand this logic.  Just because the canucks need change, doesn't mean they need to give out a bad contract.  Sign depth stop gap guys like Jordie Benn, etc.  If there's no elite level D available in this year's free agency crop, then so be it and accept that and walk away instead of paying absurd prices for 2nd tier dmen.

People aren't afraid of spending big money on players that are worth it.  If it was Panarin signing a huge long term deal, then people like me and everyone else would be rolling out the red carpet.  I just hate the logic that the canucks need to hand out a bad long term deal just for the sake of change.  Imagine if the oilers or leafs were thinking about giving out this deal to myers.  Everyone here would be rightfully laughing at them, but because some people have to defend every move Benning makes, they'll just accept and defend the Myers deal when they wouldn't if it was any other team, but the canucks.

Your statement is a strawman because we do want change, but we want smart changes, not dumb ones.

Edited by FireGillis
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

We need D help ASAP but to overpay and then have a long lasting anchor when we do need the cap space in 2-3 years. It may or may not be Jim’s problem in that time but the next GM to have to worry about. As fans we are still going to be here then, but we will be in a tough position. The new GM may have to trade a first like Toronto did to get rid of that contract. I’m not saying that this is what will happen, but it could happen. Bottom line is I’d rather take a 3 year, 9 million dollar 50 point D man in Subban then a 7X7 31 point defenseman in Myers. Not a fan of this but looks like it’ll happen. In two years when EP and QH need to reup this will be an issue. I hope other fans can see this.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, EP Phone Home said:

We need D help ASAP but to overpay and then have a long lasting anchor when we do need the cap space in 2-3 years. It may or may not be Jim’s problem in that time but the next GM to have to worry about. As fans we are still going to be here then, but we will be in a tough position. The new GM may have to trade a first like Toronto did to get rid of that contract. I’m not saying that this is what will happen, but it could happen. Bottom line is I’d rather take a 3 year, 9 million dollar 50 point D man in Subban then a 7X7 31 point defenseman in Myers. Not a fan of this but looks like it’ll happen. In two years when EP and QH need to reup this will be an issue. I hope other fans can see this.

I could see a not my problem kind of deal here to save his own skin and its scares me. Hopefully Myers really wants to play here and takes less than max market value. I could see a 6 mil x 7 years happening unfortunately.   

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yeah. I certainly hope so. Edler might be miffed to see Myers getting a huge contract after he took a pretty big haircut to show his allegiance. 

he likely took a favourable contract so they'd have some room to add someone who could take some of the pressure off of his plate.

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Heard on the radio this morning that Pavelski is visiting several teams today.  He's not too pleased that EK came in and took up so much cap, while the guys who have bled for the team are getting (or are offered) a lot less.  You make a good point about the competitiveness of these guys, and the pride they have.  

I think with Edler though, he chose to stay here for family reasons.  Plus, his 6 million per season is still a good contract.  

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Leaving us with who? Gardnier? Nemeth? We need help on D and JB will get it done.

Yes, we need help on D but thinking that something needs to be "done" will lead to disaster. This move will be made out of panic and desperation and not based on sound logic. We all know how this story ends, we all know how it's going to go on a 7 year deal at big money for a 29 year-old middling (at best) D-man. Whether you want to admit it to yourself or not is a different story.

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

unless you're a norris candidate willing to sign for $3-4m, you're total garbage.

Strawman.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Heard on the radio this morning that Pavelski is visiting several teams today.  He's not too pleased that EK came in and took up so much cap, while the guys who have bled for the team are getting (or are offered) a lot less.  You make a good point about the competitiveness of these guys, and the pride they have.  

I think with Edler though, he chose to stay here for family reasons.  Plus, his 6 million per season is still a good contract.  

Certainly. I could see some on the team wondering though. They’ve witnessed the debacle that is the Eriksson contract, and could see them drawing comparisons to Myers. That’s if it ends up happening. 

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Certainly. I could see some on the team wondering though. They’ve witnessed the debacle that is the Eriksson contract, and could see them drawing comparisons to Myers. That’s if it ends up happening. 

The players just want the best chance to win, and having Myers helps with that.  He's not going to get EK crazy money.  Loui is done here.  

9 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Yes, we need help on D but thinking that something needs to be "done" will lead to disaster. This move will be made out of panic and desperation and not based on sound logic. We all know how this story ends, we all know how it's going to go on a 7 year deal at big money for a 29 year-old middling (at best) D-man. Whether you want to admit it to yourself or not is a different story.

Strawman.

You have to play the cards your dealt. A trade just doesn't seem possible with the assets we have so what is JB to do? It seems your happy keeping things the same except its not your job or reputation on the line is it? I appreciate JB trying to do something to improve the team and understand you have to go with what your dealt. Theres only so many FA defenseman, you have to make your chioce and go with it because if you delay and think about it before you know it there all gone and we have to sign crap for too high a cap hit. At least Myers or Gardnier are not crap.

17 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I could see a not my problem kind of deal here to save his own skin and its scares me. Hopefully Myers really wants to play here and takes less than max market value. I could see a 6 mil x 7 years happening unfortunately.   

Yup. Our front office arent gunna be thinking about years 5-7 when they put pen to paper on this one 

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Then what are some "smart changes", and ones that are actually realistic considering the market, free agency, and salary cap?

Signing depth stop gap dmen, instead of overpaying for a number 4/5/6 dman on huge long term deal because you're trying to rush the rebuild.  It shouldn't be trying to load up and going for bust at making the playoffs this year.  I don't understand why the timeline for making the playoffs has to be this year.  A rebuild takes time.  I was thinking playoffs in 2-3 years from now and not so much this year. 

The 2020 draft is supposed to be pretty good, so at least our pick is protected there if we're bad again this year.  Add that pick, Pod and any other draft pick that pans out to our young core, then by 2022 we should have a pretty good team.  I know people are impatient, but rebuilding takes time.  Throwing out a bad contract to try to speed up the rebuild is a bad idea.  A Panarin contract would legitimately speed up the rebuild and would be a game changer and something I would be happy about.  A Myers contract might speed it up a little, but more in terms of speeding up to mediocrity instead of contenders like a Panarin would.  I'd hate to end up like Minnesota.  Constant playoffs, but constant early exits.

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

This is going be Jim Benning's biggest challenge to fix this defense quickly & adequately.

What's interesting is how quickly it CAN be improved.  Recall a few years back how bad it was, then suddenly Hutton emerged and Tryamkin came in and some clouds lifted.  There are only 6 spots, so you change out a couple and things suddenly look bright.  One good trade and a quality UFA signing and it can make quite the difference.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

I don't understand this logic.  Just because the canucks need change, doesn't mean they need to give out a bad contract.  Sign depth stop gap guys like Jordie Benn, etc.  If there's no elite level D available in this year's free agency crop, then so be it and accept that and walk away instead of paying absurd prices for 2nd tier dmen.

People aren't afraid of spending big money on players that are worth it.  If it was Panarin signing a huge long term deal, then people like me and everyone else would be rolling out the red carpet.  I just hate the logic that the canucks need to hand out a bad long term deal just for the sake of change.  Imagine if the oilers or leafs were thinking about giving out this deal to myers.  Everyone here would be rightfully laughing at them, but because some people have to defend every move Benning makes, they'll just accept and defend the Myers deal when they wouldn't if it was any other team, but the canucks.

Your statement is a strawman because we do want change, but we want smart changes, not dumb ones.

They don't need an elite, scoring dman, they need someone who can prevent goals and someone who can take some of the hard mins from eddie and bump tanev down the depth chart on the right side......desperately.  A depth dman won't do that and when tanev inevitably goes down with an injury, there'll be no one to handle those top 3 mins again.

• Upvote 1