The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumor) - Luke Schenn moving on?

I'm hoping we're able to retain him on a reasonable contract but if he goes somewhere for term and security I don't blame him. He's had a tough go of it the last few years and it'd be nice to see him revive his career. 

12 minutes ago, KariyaSakicAnderson said:

A chance at a Cup, sunshine, and lower taxes.  Why not for 700k  

Don't blame him, just hope he appreciates us giving him a chance to rejuvenate his career when it looked like he was done.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Don't blame him, just hope he appreciates us giving him a chance to rejuvenate his career when it looked like he was done.

Yea I thought he would re-up here, for that reason you mentioned, he got that chance and liked his time.  Maybe he didn't want to? I'm sure he knew that Canucks were looking for another RD and without knowing if there were other moves, he'd be a 7 or 8 D here,not play much or end up playing in the AHL again?  It seems like Tampa will actually have a spot for him to play, maybe in his eye that's a chance to showcase that he can still play and hopefully get a better deal next year?

1 hour ago, KariyaSakicAnderson said:

Yea I thought he would re-up here, for that reason you mentioned, he got that chance and liked his time.  Maybe he didn't want to? I'm sure he knew that Canucks were looking for another RD and without knowing if there were other moves, he'd be a 7 or 8 D here,not play much or end up playing in the AHL again?  It seems like Tampa will actually have a spot for him to play, maybe in his eye that's a chance to showcase that he can still play and hopefully get a better deal next year?

Maybe seeing his brother win the Cup, it made him realize there's not much time left in his career to do the same, so he hoping to join a powerhouse to do so. Like I said, I don't blame him, but just hope he's grateful for the opportunity that we gave him.

He is taking a huge gamble. He was left for dead and was well on his way to being a career AHLer. We give him a chance and force feed him minutes like we did with Granlund, Virtanen, and Baerschit because our team is just that poor and now he thinks he is back into NHL form?

Huge risk. I believe many a Canucks are done in the NHL once they leave the safety of being good enough to make a bad borderline NHL team because of incompetent management. 

I think he is going to get a wake up call once he leaves the Canucks and will find himself with a one way ticket back to the AHL.

• Wat 2

Huge blow. Huge blow I repeat. Schenn is the perfect third pairing guy that we never had. He is one of those guys you need for the playoffs. Can’t we do anything to beat that 700k? I mean, up it to 1 mil? 

2 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

Huge blow. Huge blow I repeat. Schenn is the perfect third pairing guy that we never had. He is one of those guys you need for the playoffs. Can’t we do anything to beat that 700k? I mean, up it to 1 mil? 

Let's make the playoffs first. Guys like Schenn can be found for dirt cheap at the trade deadline like a 6th or 7th round pick if we are looking to add depth (see MDZ and the Schenn trade itself). I'm not sure Schenn himself will be effective over the course of a full regular season anyway. He might be okay on a defense where he plays very sheltered minutes though because Tampa will have guys like Hedman and MacDonagh eating up a ton of the minutes.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/30/2019 at 8:59 PM, theo5789 said:

Maybe seeing his brother win the Cup, it made him realize there's not much time left in his career to do the same, so he hoping to join a powerhouse to do so. Like I said, I don't blame him, but just hope he's grateful for the opportunity that we gave him.

On 6/30/2019 at 9:57 PM, ktcy2 said:

Just read we offered 900k ,

but he decided he had a better chance to win a cup in Tampa.

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Just read we offered 900k ,

but he decided he had a better chance to win a cup in Tampa.

700k probably wouldn't be far off our 900k offer after taxes, so makes sense for him to also go to a contender. Plus it looks like he might be slightly higher on the depth chart in Tampa than he would be here.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm ok with it I dont think the team is lacking toughness now and I'd prefer to leave the spot open for Woo to take when he is ready. I honestly think he has proven all he needs to in JR keep him with the team and let him earn Tanevs spot when he gets his annual injury.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, theo5789 said:

700k probably wouldn't be far off our 900k offer after taxes, so makes sense for him to also go to a contender. Plus it looks like he might be slightly higher on the depth chart in Tampa than he would be here.

I'm amazed how many people don't seem to get this...particularly that last part.

13 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Definitely.

The other part is that, should the Canucks (likely) play bad defensively this year, that would be very bad for Schenn beyond next season, who was dangerously close to leaving the league for good. Success with the Lightning, far more likely, even in sheltered minutes, would mean a longer NHL career.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Monty said:

Definitely.

The other part is that, should the Canucks (likely) play bad defensively this year, that would be very bad for Schenn beyond next season, who was dangerously close to leaving the league for good. Success with the Lightning, far more likely, even in sheltered minutes, would mean a longer NHL career.

that's a great point