The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Boeser Camp Eyeing 4 Year Deal Worth $28M

54 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

All most of us should know is he has had his wrist wrapped the entire season last year and commented on it several times through out the season, both him and his coaches.

Sure 

And still scoring 26 goals coming off of a serious back injury which imo hindered him far worse than any wrist injury he is playing through.

it wasn’t his wrist that affected his performance it was his overbulking in last off season as a result of a fluke back injury,  that led to a lack of mobility and speed where he could not get that time and pace for his shot.  I’m not saying his wrist is a non factor but for people to come in here and suggest that he is injury prone is a real stretch.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Sure 

And still scoring 26 goals coming off of a serious back injury which imo hindered him far worse than any wrist injury he is playing through.

it wasn’t his wrist that affected his performance it was his overbulking in last off season as a result of a fluke back injury,  that led to a lack of mobility and speed where he could not get that time and pace for his shot.  I’m not saying his wrist is a non factor but for people to come in here and suggest that he is injury prone is a real stretch.

I never said he was injury prone, I said he hasn't had a full season without substancial injury or time away from the game and I'd love to know your sources on the bulking up issue you say hindered his performance? I have never heard that any where, I've always considered him slow but smart positionally and of coarse a sniper from where ever.

1 hour ago, Sbriggs said:

I never said he was injury prone, I said he hasn't had a full season without substancial injury or time away from the game and I'd love to know your sources on the bulking up issue you say hindered his performance? I have never heard that any where, I've always considered him slow but smart positionally and of coarse a sniper from where ever.

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

Sure 

• Wat 1

There been alot if media speculation around the league in regards to this RFA class in particular. People seem to read alot more into this kinda stuff because contract talks are all we really have in the dog days of August.

I see Rantanan as his best comparable and linked this media nonsense to show how they read more into a guys training based on this whole situation. Take what you will from it. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/mikko-rantanen-norway-colorado-avalanche-contract/c-308698126

IMO Mikko is his best comparable and I see

him at 7M-7.5M on a bridge deal of 4 to 5 years possibly buying a UFA year or 8M-8.5M long term. Someone is gonna sign and set a precedent and I doubt we pay Brock more than 6.25M on a 4 year bridge. At this point that's paying him IMO for 30G and 55/60 PTS

If he stays healthy I see no reason not to pay him on his next one accordingly. There's too many guys not signed for this to go on forever and we got lots of time before camps begin. The GMs have impressed me this far and not caved. Brock wants to play it'll get done for that I firmly believe.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I hate the argument that Brock should get paid based on what his stats would look like with a full 82 point season.  Yes his injuries were circumstantial and don't predict future injuries necessarily.  However, you still want some evidence that he can perform 82 games + playoffs at a high level.  The fact that he hasn't come into training camp in peak physical shape (not fat, just not tailored to the NHL game at the highest level) makes me more hesitant to feel good about adjusting the numbers for an 82 game outlook.  I'm a fan of his and I think he'll be signed just fine but the contract should reflect a middle ground number for expectations.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, KanNuck said:

There been alot if media speculation around the league in regards to this RFA class in particular. People seem to read alot more into this kinda stuff because contract talks are all we really have in the dog days of August.

I see Rantanan as his best comparable and linked this media nonsense to show how they read more into a guys training based on this whole situation. Take what you will from it. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/mikko-rantanen-norway-colorado-avalanche-contract/c-308698126

him at 7M-7.5M on a bridge deal of 4 to 5 years possibly buying a UFA year or 8M-8.5M long term. Someone is gonna sign and set a precedent and I doubt we pay Brock more than 6.25M on a 4 year bridge. At this point that's paying him IMO for 30G and 55/60 PTS

If he stays healthy I see no reason not to pay him on his next one accordingly. There's too many guys not signed for this to go on forever and we got lots of time before camps begin. The GMs have impressed me this far and not caved. Brock wants to play it'll get done for that I firmly believe.

Rantanen's last 2 season point totals were 84 and 87. Brock is not close to being a comparable.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SynysterGates said:

Rantanen's last 2 season point totals were 84 and 87. Brock is not close to being a comparable.

I think he's alot closer than you think. Mikko has had the extra season and the benefit of being healthy. There stats are relatively close on a points per game basis. Brock scores at a faster pace and Mikko gets more assists.

Mikko Rantanan 

239GP   80G 129A 209PTS    0.87PPG

Brock Boeser

140GP   59G 57A 116PTS    O.82PPG

I think Brock hits high 70s low 80s this year assuming he plays a full season. He's played 99 games less add 0.82PPG and you can bet that Brock had he played the same amount of games (239) is right around 198PTS only off abit. This season will be a good indicator of what he truly is. That being said he hasn't proved it over 82 games hence IMO 6.25M × 4 years.

Edited by KanNuck
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, KanNuck said:

I think he's alot closer than you think. Mikko has had the extra season and the benefit of being healthy. There stats are relatively close on a points per game basis. Brock scores at a faster pace and Mikko gets more assists.

Mikko Rantanan 

239GP   80G 129A 209PTS    0.87PPG

Brock Boeser

140GP   59G 57A 116PTS    O.82PPG

I think Brock hits high 70s low 80s this year assuming he plays a full season. He's played 99 games less add 0.82PPG and you can bet that Brock had he played the same amount of games (239) is right around 198PTS only off abit. This season will be a good indicator of what he truly is. That being said he hasn't proved it over 82 games hence IMO 6.25M × 4 years.

Give it up, he's not even close to MR.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, KanNuck said:

Rantanen is considered a tier above Boeser, Conner is by far a better comparable.  At one point that line was as hot as any in the league - they were both on pace for 115-120 points.  It slowed down and he struggled near the end of the year but more then made up for it in the playoffs - COL hero that helped the most creating the upset.   Him and Point are a tier above, Marner of course too.  His deal is expected to be in the AHO region as is Points.  

Conner might be a little less then Boeser but not by much - WNP fans would argue he’s better and most fantasy mags have Conner outproducing Boeser by around 10 points next year and scoring as many or more goals too.    The highest I’ve seen so far is 35-35 by THN, the rest have him in the mid sixties and low thirties.  

MT is also a tier above Boeser given his intangibles matter more - I see him getting around 7-8 depending on term.  He was a PPGer playing mostly on the second line.  He’s also younger and made the league as an 18 year old.  

All things being equal I think Boeser deserves around 6.5 in a bridge deal, no more - and 7.5 on a full term deal.  Same with Conner.   Don’t really get this game of chicken - the market has already been set with AHO, Meir, Nylander, AM, Kucherov etc.   Bunch of greedy a-holes IMO.  Saying goodbye to the team friendly deals that helped CHI and LA win five of seven cups....and now losing our turn is way worse then bad lottery luck screwing us too.   JB is climbing up an endless hill - hopefully he can keep rolling with the punches and sign Boeser long term - a four year deal does not help us when we will need the money the most to tweak the team.

• Upvote 3

If Boeser is reluctant to sign for a reasonable amount but would take a discount to be closer to his family at this time.  If I'm Benning I don't really see a deal that makes sense in Minni. However if Bess were willing to go to say Chicago or STL .

To STL Boeser

To Van Tarasenko

Tarasenko had 33 goals and 33/35 assists in each of the last 2 seasons  (very comparable to Boeser) is 27 and signed at 7.5m just won a cup and has been relatively durable during his NHL career. He also would help our culture if we want to lure Tryamkin back get a bit more from Goldy and hopefully bring Podkolzin into an environment where isn't the only Russian. I think the trickle down effect of adding Tarasenko would make the team better long term even if he himself ages out of being a top line player for us down the road. STL gets younger and possibly a higher point producer at the same position and saves some cap enough for a depth player anyway. I think the best thing a cup winning team can do is evolve before the league adapts. Bess helps with that and they get considerably younger.

To Chicago Boeser

To Van De Brincat 

Reunite Caggula and Boeser. I think Chicago  gets better here they can make the cap work. The canucks have gotten bigger I think we can handle having a top 6 smurf and make it work. basically goal scorer for goal scorer here though I think I'm probably forcing this one as I see no reason for Chi to do this unless they really like Bess.  

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Rantanen is considered a tier above Boeser, Conner is by far a better comparable.  At one point that line was as hot as any in the league - they were both on pace for 115-120 points.  It slowed down and he struggled near the end of the year but more then made up for it in the playoffs - COL hero that helped the most creating the upset.   Him and Point are a tier above, Marner of course too.  His deal is expected to be in the AHO region as is Points.  

Conner might be a little less then Boeser but not by much - WNP fans would argue he’s better and most fantasy mags have Conner outproducing Boeser by around 10 points next year and scoring as many or more goals too.    The highest I’ve seen so far is 35-35 by THN, the rest have him in the mid sixties and low thirties.  

MT is also a tier above Boeser given his intangibles matter more - I see him getting around 7-8 depending on term.  He was a PPGer playing mostly on the second line.  He’s also younger and made the league as an 18 year old.  

All things being equal I think Boeser deserves around 6.5 in a bridge deal, no more - and 7.5 on a full term deal.  Same with Conner.   Don’t really get this game of chicken - the market has already been set with AHO, Meir, Nylander, AM, Kucherov etc.   Bunch of greedy a-holes IMO.  Saying goodbye to the team friendly deals that helped CHI and LA win five of seven cups....and now losing our turn is way worse then bad lottery luck screwing us too.   JB is climbing up an endless hill - hopefully he can keep rolling with the punches and sign Boeser long term - a four year deal does not help us when we will need the money the most to tweak the team.

Well said, IBatch.  Conner is the only comparable of the remaining rfas and I think your figures (bridge/full term) are right on the mark.  Would love to see him sign for the full term, as that helps the team out, but I don't think that will happen. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Well said, IBatch.  Conner is the only comparable of the remaining rfas and I think your figures (bridge/full term) are right on the mark.  Would love to see him sign for the full term, as that helps the team out, but I don't think that will happen. 

Yep at this point I’d be happily shocked if the deal comes in at 7-8 years.  All the murmurs are him at 4 years which would be ok from the standpoint he’s still an RFA, but he could easily turn that deal into a gold mine and with both Horvat and Miller coming up around the same time one or maybe two of them will get traded to fit in whomevers going to stay past that.   Truly think Boeser can score 40-50 and likely will in that time frame - plus consistently 35 plus ... he’s basically a UFA at that point.  The bright side is we can trade him or accept an offer sheet.  But it won’t help us win a cup with this core either.

Above is a post suggesting we trade him to Minny if things drag on and he wants to be closer to his Dad which is understandable...unless it’s Dumba (which it won’t be) no deal works for us...however CHI and St. Louis aren’t far - and the deal suggested for Tarasenko wouldn’t be a bad one either (don’t think his NTC clicks in for a few more years but would have to check).  It also happens to be the type of deal I’d like to see Canucks management come up with..

I don’t for a second buy that’s he’s injury prone - freak accident his rookie year and I’d bet his other injury was connected to that in some way too.  Projecting Boeser to play 82 games and giving him a modest improvement over the next two or three years - translates very well with Tarasenko (who if you recall was considered to be a Richard trophy challenger in his future too).  Still would rather keep Boeser though he’s got the potential to retire with over 400 goals on his resume.  Definitely one of the best goal scorers I’ve ever seen on the team - already better then D Sedin.  Only Bure and Naslund and I’m going to say EP are ahead of him.  Man what a shot.  Shades of Brett Hull.  

JB if you have anyone in your staff looking at the CDC - we love this guy and want him locked in.  I’d even do it at 8 x 8.   Seems high and it is...for now..but in three years it won’t be and that’s when our team has no more cap issues, plus our core is at the right age to do peak damage.   Don’t know how I feel with only Myers locked in for six more years - why set things up for such a change in four years when the teams likely just getting started? 

PS - if it’s a 7 x 4 I’m blaming Dubas.  Two of the worst contacts I’ve ever seen in hockey - Nylander (who says he’s going to be a star but can’t produce without AM - and anyone could do that just pass him the puck and get 60 points easy as pie).  And AM - talk about injury prone - is he trying to be the new Mario or something?  Scores 20 goals in 14 games or something then gets the cushiest contract in hockey - getting paid like a top three player - right until he moves back to ARI in five years. Oh I forgot to mention after he signed he cooled right off and then went to the infirmary.   Tavares didn’t set the bar - he earned his contract because he was only getting 5 before - that’s how it’s supposed to work.  The system is broken.  

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Above is a post suggesting we trade him to Minny if things drag on and he wants to be closer to his Dad which is understandable...unless it’s Dumba (which it won’t be) no deal works for us...however CHI and St. Louis aren’t far - and the deal suggested for Tarasenko wouldn’t be a bad one either (don’t think his NTC clicks in for a few more years but would have to check).  It also happens to be the type of deal I’d like to see Canucks management come up with..

I would really hate to see Brock traded, but regarding Minny...Dumba or no deal absolutely!  As far as Tarasenko goes, I don't like that he turns 28 in Dec.  I can see Brock surpassing him within the next year or two.

would rather keep Boeser though he’s got the potential to retire with over 400 goals on his resume.  Definitely one of the best goal scorers I’ve ever seen on the team - already better then D Sedin.  Only Bure and Naslund and I’m going to say EP are ahead of him.  Man what a shot.  Shades of Brett Hull.  

:towel:

PS - if it’s a 7 x 4 I’m blaming Dubas.  Two of the worst contacts I’ve ever seen in hockey - Nylander (who says he’s going to be a star but can’t produce without AM - and anyone could do that just pass him the puck and get 60 points easy as pie).  And AM - talk about injury prone - is he trying to be the new Mario or something?  Scores 20 goals in 14 games or something then gets the cushiest contract in hockey - getting paid like a top three player - right until he moves back to ARI in five years. Oh I forgot to mention after he signed he cooled right off and then went to the infirmary.   Tavares didn’t set the bar - he earned his contract because he was only getting 5 before - that’s how it’s supposed to work.  The system is broken.  

Yeah, Dumbass making his mark, for sure.

Fingers crossed that Brock does the right thing and signs long term!!!!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I would really hate to see Brock traded, but regarding Minny...Dumba or no deal absolutely!  As far as Tarasenko goes, I don't like that he turns 28 in Dec.  I can see Brock surpassing him within the next year or two.

:towel:

Yeah, Dumbass making his mark, for sure.

Fingers crossed that Brock does the right thing and signs long term!!!!

It would have to include Dumba from my perspective as well.  The only way we do it is if they overpay for the hometown hero and marketing opportunity.

This would probably only be an early offseason kind of trade due to the size, but:

They have been trying to get rid of Zucker for a while.

Dumba

Zucker

for

Boeser

Virtanen

Tanev

Add picks/prospects likely from our end to even it out.

Ferland-Petterson-Miller

Zucker-Horvat-Pearson

Roussel-Sutter-Leivo

Baertschi-Beagle-Motte

Eriksson-Goldobin

Edler-Dumba

Hughes-Myers

Benn-Stecher

Biega

I take that defence any day, and our next meaningful prospects coming up will mostly be forwards (MacEwan, Gaudette, Hoglander, Podkolzin, etc) so we can be replacing vets with kids as contracts expire.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Provost said:

It would have to include Dumba from my perspective as well.  The only way we do it is if they overpay for the hometown hero and marketing opportunity.

This would probably only be an early offseason kind of trade due to the size, but:

They have been trying to get rid of Zucker for a while.

Dumba

Zucker

for

Boeser

Virtanen

Tanev

Add picks/prospects likely from our end to even it out.

Ferland-Petterson-Miller

Zucker-Horvat-Pearson

Roussel-Sutter-Leivo

Baertschi-Beagle-Motte

Eriksson-Goldobin

Edler-Dumba

Hughes-Myers

Benn-Stecher

Biega

I take that defence any day, and our next meaningful prospects coming up will mostly be forwards (MacEwan, Gaudette, Hoglander, Podkolzin, etc) so we can be replacing vets with kids as contracts expire.

They are no longer trying to trade Zucker - Fenton has been replaced and Boudreau wants to keep Zucker.  Btw Minnesota had no interest in Tanev or Virtanen for Zucker per Russo. 

Minnesota was one of the best defensive team in the league last season - no team allowed less mid to high danger shots against than the Wild per Steve Valiquette of MSG Network.  Their issue was not defending but their transition game which Dumba helps immensely.  

Parise again last week talked of how Dumba back will allow them to play more offensively.  Boudreau too can't wait to get Dumba back as well as owner Leipold.  They all believe that Dumba was the key reason they missed the playoffs.  

Edited by mll

25 minutes ago, mll said:

They are no longer trying to trade Zucker - Fenton has been replaced and Boudreau wants to keep Zucker.  Btw Minnesota had no interest in Tanev or Virtanen for Zucker per Russo. 

Minnesota was the best defensive team in the league last season - no team allowed less mid to high danger scoring chances against than the Wild per Steve Valiquette of MSG Network.  Their issue was not defending but their transition game which Dumba helps immensely.  

Parise again last week talked of how Dumba back will allow them to play more offensively.  Boudreau too can't wait to get Dumba back as well as owner Leipold.  They all believe that Dumba was the key reason they missed the playoffs.  

You are cherry picking various individual statements over months about individual pieces of the proposed deal and not the deal as a whole.

It was reaponding to the possibility that Boeser wanted to be close to family for obvious reasons and would be willing to sign for a big discount in Minny to accomplish that.  Him at a discount, like $6 million per year on  a long term deal, would be a huge bonus for Minny and would increase any trade return.

Without a reasonable deal for Zucker on the horizon, what else is a GM supposed to say publicly?

Not wanting Virtanen and Tanev for Zucker, doesn't factor in the fact they would also be upgrading significantly on Zucker with a younger and better version in Boeser... who they can also use as the face of the franchise as a hometown boy.

If they can't play offensively with Spurgeon and Suter on the back end putting up 90 points between them... not sure it is possible whoever else you add.  There are only so many offensive minutes to go around.

Edited by Provost

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

You are cherry picking various individual statements over months about individual pieces of the proposed deal and not the deal as a whole.

Without a reasonable deal for Zucker on the horizon, what else is a GM supposed to say publicly?

Not wanting Virtanen and Tanev for Zucker, doesn't factor in the fact they would also be upgrading significantly on Zucker with a younger and better version in Boeser... who they can also use as the face of the franchise as a hometown boy.

If they can't play offensively with Spurgeon and Suter on the back end putting up 90 points between them... not sure it is possible whoever else you add.  There are only so many offensive minutes to go around.

Don’t want Dumba now. We have Hughes, who is way better.  

I think we are a better team with Bess, Virt, and Tan, than without those guys and having Dumbo, and Zuk.  

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yep at this point I’d be happily shocked if the deal comes in at 7-8 years.  All the murmurs are him at 4 years which would be ok from the standpoint he’s still an RFA, but he could easily turn that deal into a gold mine and with both Horvat and Miller coming up around the same time one or maybe two of them will get traded to fit in whomevers going to stay past that.   Truly think Boeser can score 40-50 and likely will in that time frame - plus consistently 35 plus ... he’s basically a UFA at that point.  The bright side is we can trade him or accept an offer sheet.  But it won’t help us win a cup with this core either.

I don’t for a second buy that’s he’s injury prone - freak accident his rookie year and I’d bet his other injury was connected to that in some way too.  Projecting Boeser to play 82 games and giving him a modest improvement over the next two or three years - translates very well with Tarasenko (who if you recall was considered to be a Richard trophy challenger in his future too).  Still would rather keep Boeser though he’s got the potential to retire with over 400 goals on his resume.  Definitely one of the best goal scorers I’ve ever seen on the team - already better then D Sedin.  Only Bure and Naslund and I’m going to say EP are ahead of him.  Man what a shot.  Shades of Brett Hull.  

JB if you have anyone in your staff looking at the CDC - we love this guy and want him locked in.  I’d even do it at 8 x 8.   Seems high and it is...for now..but in three years it won’t be and that’s when our team has no more cap issues, plus our core is at the right age to do peak damage.   Don’t know how I feel with only Myers locked in for six more years - why set things up for such a change in four years when the teams likely just getting started? 

Ding ding!  Exactly right

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Provost said:

It was reaponding to the possibility that Boeser wanted to be close to family for obvious reasons and would be willing to sign for a big discount in Minny to accomplish that.  Him at a discount, like $6 million per year on  a long term deal, would be a huge bonus for Minny and would increase any trade return.

Zucker+ for Boeser sure but not at the expense of Dumba.  The Wild had the 2nd highest scoring D-corps with Dumba healthy a season ago reaching 200pts from the backend.  Last year the team fell apart after he got injured.  

It's not about what I think but about what they say.  They believe that he is a key reason they missed the playoffs.  Parise last week was again talking about the importance of Dumba for them to have a successful season.

Also the Wild want to retain Spurgeon.  He was one of Leipold's first phone calls after letting Fenton go, with him even wanting to fly over to talk to him in person.  They want to sign him - he is a UFA next year.  For Spurgeon it's about competitiveness.  This season it was very obvious the importance of Dumba.  They have no replacement for his offence.  Spurgeon will be less likely to want to stay if he gets traded and they have nothing coming up on D in the near future.  

It's easier to find wingers than it is to find Ds - especially RDs with a bomb of a shot.  They have young wingers but have no top-4 Ds coming in the near future.  They can't afford to lose Dumba.  Suter is also getting up in age.  

Edited by mll

18 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I hate the argument that Brock should get paid based on what his stats would look like with a full 82 point season.  Yes his injuries were circumstantial and don't predict future injuries necessarily.  However, you still want some evidence that he can perform 82 games + playoffs at a high level.  The fact that he hasn't come into training camp in peak physical shape (not fat, just not tailored to the NHL game at the highest level) makes me more hesitant to feel good about adjusting the numbers for an 82 game outlook.  I'm a fan of his and I think he'll be signed just fine but the contract should reflect a middle ground number for expectations.

Good post.

This seems like common sense but people that don't have any won't understand this.  Like lawyers.....mostly them.....the sleezy d bags.