The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Laine in "deep talks" with Montreal

58 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

one thing I'd like to do someday is that river skating thing they set up, that looks fun. I just have to pick the day its not -25 :lol:

nice people tho. I know thats what you're supposed to say but every time I've been there everyone has been quite nice. 

I think it's still frozen.  Just watch out for the flies.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gerry35 said:

It's called living in Canada and the people of Manitoba are much better on average than the people of the lower mainland. 

My dad''s from Manitoba and I've been all over that province. If I was a millionaire athlete its one of the last places Id want to spend much of the year in. Especially when it's winter...for 7 &^@#ing months...

The people are much better?  Like nicer? 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

one thing I'd like to do someday is that river skating thing they set up, that looks fun. I just have to pick the day its not -25 :lol:

nice people tho. I know thats what you're supposed to say but every time I've been there everyone has been quite nice. 

I love the Ukrainian food and the people are great.  As I said above half the extended family is from there.  That said it's a $&!# hole much of the year compared to many places you can play as an NHL player.  

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

My dad''s from Manitoba and I've been all over that province. If I was a millionaire athlete its one of the last places Id want to spend much of the year in. Especially when it's winter...for 7 &^@#ing months...

The people are much better?  Like nicer? 

On average yes the people are much more down to earth and nicer than the lower mainland. As for athlete's some want to live the "good" life however they define it and others want to win and are professionals. Winnipeg has had a good team which is attractive to the latter, hopefully they can recover from the talent they lost being in a cap crunch.

As for Laine, I would take the draft picks and let someone else deal with his issues. He might recover from them and do well or he might fizzle out. I bet they are having this conversation internally and picking between Connor and him the choice would e clear to me.

I love the Ukrainian food and the people are great.  As I said above half the extended family is from there.  That said it's a $&!# hole much of the year compared to many places you can play as an NHL player.  

thats pretty much it, its not a destination city. It is what it is, neither is Columbus. 

I do hate how people in Winnipeg deep fry perogies tho, that kind of grates me as a Russian descendant.  Makes me want to invade. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats pretty much it, its not a destination city. It is what it is, neither is Columbus. 

I do hate how people in Winnipeg deep fry perogies tho, that kind of grates me as a Russian descendant.  Makes me want to invade. 

I completely agree about deep fried perogies. That is a big no no.  Boiled, grilled and served with grilled onions, bacon and sour cream.  Back during the rodeo up in Swan River there was a stand run by a bunch of old Ukrainian women.  The best I've ever had. 

1 hour ago, gerry35 said:

On average yes the people are much more down to earth and nicer than the lower mainland. As for athlete's some want to live the "good" life however they define it and others want to win and are professionals. Winnipeg has had a good team which is attractive to the latter, hopefully they can recover from the talent they lost being in a cap crunch.

As for Laine, I would take the draft picks and let someone else deal with his issues. He might recover from them and do well or he might fizzle out. I bet they are having this conversation internally and picking between Connor and him the choice would e clear to me.

Winnipeg has its fair share of $&!# heads.  Winning is a draw for sure but there are better options for that too right now. 

As for your point Laine. ..I agree. You take the picks and spend elsewhere. 

18 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what the heck is going on in Winnipeg?  when's the last time we saw a forced rebuild from so many players jumping ship?

Hope it happens tho, just makes our playoff chances better.  

likely would have happened in EDM already - if they had anyone besides Leon to jump ship.. there's just some cities no one wants to live in.. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, gerry35 said:

It's called living in Canada and the people of Manitoba are much better on average than the people of the lower mainland. 

Speak for yourself.

On average yes the people are much more down to earth and nicer than the lower mainland.

Evidence? Sounds like one of those things people who live in a not so desirable destination say to pump themselves up.

“Oh yeah the small part of the year it’s not frozen tundra it’s scorching and infested with hungry bugs but we’re so much better as people.” Yeah sounds real friendly. I’ve met plenty of dickheads from Manitoba, therefore my anecdotal evidence is just as valid as yours.

Edited by Bitter Melon
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Speak for yourself.

Evidence? Sounds like one of those things people who live in a not so desirable destination say to pump themselves up.

“Oh yeah the small part of the year it’s not frozen tundra it’s scorching and infested with hungry bugs but we’re so much better as people.” Yeah sounds real friendly. I’ve met plenty of dickheads from Manitoba, therefore my anecdotal evidence is just as valid as yours.

This I have had numerous pleasant experiences in and around Vancouver. I live in Campbell River and Vancouver imo is no more or less nice as far as human interaction goes. 

• Upvote 1

I completely agree about deep fried perogies. That is a big no no.  Boiled, grilled and served with grilled onions, bacon and sour cream.  Back during the rodeo up in Swan River there was a stand run by a bunch of old Ukrainian women.  The best I've ever had. 

I'm sure they were great. Its like when you mess up pasta for an Italian, its just hard to take.

But I'm sure Winnipeg has good smoked herring so Laine should be happy with that. 

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Alflives said:

So, you’re a young, elite athlete, just entering your prime of physical ability, and you’re rich.  Oh, and you’re single.  Why on Hod’s green earth would that guy stay in a room playing with a computer when he could be out playing with ... nudge nudge. 

Are you hepped up on goofballs?

Thou shall not use Hod’s name in vain lest he smite you down or afflict your armpits with 1,000 black fly bites!

6 hours ago, BobbyClarke said:

The guy had his first bad year and still scored 30 goals. He’s played 3 seasons. For those of you that would dump him, don’t quit your day job. 

Sorry man, I find Laine a one dimensional, overrated player. Slow, very little battle, lazy. He is good on the PP and has a hell of a shot. Glad he's the Jets issue and not ours.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, rekker said:

Sorry man, I find Laine a one dimensional, overrated player. Slow, very little battle, lazy. He is good on the PP and has a hell of a shot. Glad he's the Jets issue and not ours.  

I would agree with this assessment for the most part, he doesn't seem like a professional at all. In fairness he is young and could grow up but to me he could go either way and I'm glad he isn't on the Canucks. He mocked the Canucks about Fortnite in the early season last year for wanting to focus only on hockey and then after the first month was terrible based on his talent level. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, rekker said:

you just described brett hull. 

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

I've worked in seniors homes and part of my job was creating recreational programs. One such program was making home-made perogies with old European women. One gem was a lady named Karolina, who immigrated from Poland and she was unreal. We also held an in-house "Borscht Off" where entries would prepare their family recipe and their fellow residents would taste and vote for the best.

Couple tough days at the office ;)

16 minutes ago, tas said:

you just described brett hull. 

Hull played in a different era, a slower era. Time will tell if Laine turns into a Hull or not. It's still early but like I said his agents are said to be asking for term and cash. I'd give him a short two year bridge deal or sit. He hasn't shown the dedication it takes yet to warrant a long term deal IMHO. 

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

Hull played in a different era, a slower era. Time will tell if Laine turns into a Hull or not. It's still early but like I said his agents are said to be asking for term and cash. I'd give him a short two year bridge deal or sit. He hasn't shown the dedication it takes yet to warrant a long term deal IMHO. 

he's averaged 37 goals per year over his first 3 years in the league. you lock that up with term and money.