The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

19 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

They didn't want him back cus his concussion history and his unwillingness to play even when small injury. I think i read it on these boards about him not willing to play thru injuries. I think maybe he just wanted to get out of there before TDL last year. 

I think JB has done a good job this summer.. looks like a playoff team. If not it was a good job regardless. 

Ep is a superstar. He needs support or were wasting his career. 

That's some comforting news...sort of. That also sounds like a player you don't win with, however.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

If you read the Carolina threads the fans say the exact opposite of what you typed above. They say that Ferland KEPT playing through injuries which compounded things. They wanted him to just take more time to fully heal before coming back.

They may be true. I have not read the CAR thread. But what i said was out there during TDL time or playoffs. 

Also reported was huge reason for Ferland coming here was we were the only team to offer 4 yrs. I read it in the Province.

Apparently his concussion history was reason teams were not willing to go 4 yrs. 

one other team offered 3 yrs. 

He's young still in his prime. Cap hit is good. 

Hopefully he can stay healthy. One or 2 more concussions and he's going to have to start thinking retirement. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

He already HAS scored 20 goals. He definitely has the potential for more along side EP. He also has experience riding shotgun on a first line going back this Flames days with Gaudreau and Monahan. 

Yeah. But just because he's scored 20 in the past doesn't necessarily mean he's guaranteed to score 20 again this upcoming season. I guess that's why they play the games! 

28 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Also reported was huge reason for Ferland coming here was we were the only team to offer 4 yrs. I read it in the Province.

Apparently his concussion history was reason teams were not willing to go 4 yrs. 

one other team offered 3 yrs. 

He's young still in his prime. Cap hit is good. 

Hopefully he can stay healthy. One or 2 more concussions and he's going to have to start thinking retirement. 

Kinda like Bärtschi, no? But indications are that Sven's coming back this season. 

I'm a little worried for the guy, especially since he's still a young man and has a young family. If he has one more concussion, I think that's it for him and his hockey career period, let alone his NHL career. 

47 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Heard Ferland's agent on the radio saying a huge part of Ferland coming here was his conversations with Travis Green. 

That's for the Green haters out there, I'm glad to have this guy behind our bench. 

I think also because of the term. Heard that we're the only team that offered 4 years, while all the other offers he's received was only for 3. 

10 hours ago, Silver Ghost said:

But 7 mil per? For a complementary largely perimeter player who disappears when the heat is on? What teams besides the leafs would consider that a core piece to pay a premium contract to?

Let me first start by saying I don't like any of the Nylanders as I can't stand their faces, and I think it reflects their attitudes (I could be wrong). Again, I'm not a Leafs fan, but I have a friend who's a major Leafs fan, and he thinks that William Nylander's numbers this year are simply because he started late and came in out of shape and out of rhythm. Given how his much Sweden's coach deployed him in the international tournaments over our very own Elias Pettersson, the coach clearly thinks that he seems to have found his legs.
As far as who will be willing to pay him money, I'd like to point out that we are still paying Loui Eriksson a ton of money this year after a season where he scored 63 points. In Nylander's first and second full seasons, he had 61 points each even though he wasn't regularly deployed in the first line. In his second season, he was +20. Also, William Nylander is young, has a lot of skill, has decent size, and he can create. His value depends on whether teams think he's a top-6 or middle-6 forward. Critics point to his totals (third full season) this year, but a lot of his defenders chalk that up to him not practicing a full season. As far as his playoff performance, his numbers are not too far from Matthews even though he wasn't being played in the top line. In fact, if you remove his point totals this past playoffs due to his very, very late start, he has been averaging close to a point per game in the playoffs.

As for comparables in terms of numbers, age and salary, Ehlers is getting paid 6 mil per, and his regular season numbers are similar and his playoff numbers are way worse than Nylanders.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Let me first start by saying I don't like any of the Nylanders as I can't stand their faces, and I think it reflects their attitudes (I could be wrong). Again, I'm not a Leafs fan, but I have a friend who's a major Leafs fan, and he thinks that William Nylander's numbers this year are simply because he started late and came in out of shape and out of rhythm. Given how his much Sweden's coach deployed him in the international tournaments over our very own Elias Pettersson, the coach clearly thinks that he seems to have found his legs.
As far as who will be willing to pay him money, I'd like to point out that we are still paying Loui Eriksson a ton of money this year after a season where he scored 63 points. In Nylander's first and second full seasons, he had 61 points each even though he wasn't regularly deployed in the first line. In his second season, he was +20. Also, William Nylander is young, has a lot of skill, has decent size, and he can create. His value depends on whether teams think he's a top-6 or middle-6 forward. Critics point to his totals (third full season) this year, but a lot of his defenders chalk that up to him not practicing a full season. As far as his playoff performance, his numbers are not too far from Matthews even though he wasn't being played in the top line. In fact, if you remove his point totals this past playoffs due to his very, very late start, he has been averaging close to a point per game in the playoffs.

As for comparables in terms of numbers, age and salary, Ehlers is getting paid 6 mil per, and his regular season numbers are similar and his playoff numbers are way worse than Nylanders.

I never said he was a $&!#ty player. I just said he is not a 7 mil core player to most teams. Point production is not the only thing I was talking about though. He disappears to the perimeter when the going gets rough. He may still get points but is not a guy that brings anything else to the team when he isn't producing offense. 

Eriksson's contract is apples to oranges because he was a UFA signing. To get the privilage of overpaying Nylander another team would also have to trade something significant to get him. 

Edited by Silver Ghost

On July 11, 2019 at 4:12 PM, Primal Optimist said:

I have always wondered if we would have won the cup if the injured Linden sat and let a healthy guy play in his place in the final? I know: sacrilege. haha

After all, anyone from the bottom of their depth chart would have easily scored more than the lousy 2 goals Linden scored in game 7. Stands to reason.

On July 11, 2019 at 4:18 PM, Primal Optimist said:

yeah I am not barking down a popular path that is for sure. hahaha. I am very much in the minority by not ever liking Linden. I am not prepared to defend my stance..lol. Just a thought I have. 

D'uh, I am a "reasonable fan", I am entitled to my opinion, I don't have to pay attention to no stinking facts. Hahaha

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. But just because he's scored 20 in the past doesn't necessarily mean he's guaranteed to score 20 again this upcoming season. I guess that's why they play the games! 

Also, the fact that his p/60 has gone up every year doesn’t mean it will continue to rise....but if I could choose this upwards trajectory rather than a downwards I’d choose it every time. Here’s hoping!

17 minutes ago, Sikhguy23 said:

I think the thing that bothered me the most ever since I can remember was that sure we might lose some games, but seeing our team get physically dominated was hard to see. Seeing our stars get run at (Henrik, Daniel, last year Petey), solely because teams knew we didn't have much pushback was hard to watch. I feel like this year is going to be really exciting not only due to the fact that our stars are a year matured, but also because we now have truculence throughout our lineup to not only survive the season, but hopefully one day flourish in the playoffs. I can't wait for the season to start, and I have a gap year from medical school so I will be watching EVERY game after a long 4 years :towel:

Good timing for the gap in school haha!

Edited by NucksCelts
  • Haha 1