The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Probably not. Ferland may not be as tall as Gudbranson, but he weighs the same, if not a couple of pounds more, and can throw.

Ferland also seems a bit more willing than Gudbranson as well.....

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Time will tell.

I am not sure why but i feel better about having a forward enforcer.... then a d man enforcer.....

Maybe easier to get involved in front of the other teams net ?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I am not sure why but i feel better about having a forward enforcer.... then a d man enforcer.....

Probably because having Ferland on a line with Petterson and Boeser all but guarantees that he'll keep an eye (and plenty o' fists) on things without giving up position like a defenseman would.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Definitely better to have a forward fight than a Dman, as you go down to 5 Dmen for 5 minutes and are forced to juggle D pairings and play more minutes until they return. Less impact moving a winger up a line for a shift or two.  

My thoughts were that maybe easier to not get an instigator when it is a forward challenging their D man....   

If it our D skating across the rink to make it happen, i wonder if instigator is more likely....

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

My thoughts were that maybe easier to not get an instigator when it is a forward challenging their D man....   

If it our D skating across the rink to make it happen, i wonder if instigator is more likely....

Should it matter King?  If there is a fight, then all our guys should be in there.  No more standing around and watching.  Get in the face of an opponent, and make them “play”.  We need to win all the scrums in front of the nets and along the walls.  Actually we want scrums in front of the opponent’s net, and any that start in front of ours must end along the end wall.  No more being pushed around.  

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Ferland also seems a bit more willing than Gudbranson as well.....

Kind of odd that his only loss is to Juice.

I would love to see this years team play in the 70’s. Just think of all the crazy flows and mo’s that this truculent band of merry men would sport whilst being pugilistic-ally superior to most teams.

It’a big if (literally and figuratively) but if Tryamkin comes back next Spring it would only add to how much larger the team has become over the last year. 

4 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

I noticed fans last year were calling for our players to attack the players who targeted our stars after the fact. That's a bad strategy that brings the Bertuzzi/ Moore incident to mind. The better strategy is to target the other teams stars if they target ours. Once we do that a few times, other teams will be less likely to take liberties with our smaller players. Word will get out not to mess with our guys or they will be putting their stars at risk.

Gino told a story about how Bure skated over to him on the bench once and told him to quit going after someone on the other team.  Gino asked why and Pavel told him because they said they're coming for me if you don't.

Speaking of Gino...not sure if it's been mentioned, but Hartley actually steered Ferland toward  Gino when he needed a bit of mentoring.  That makes him part Canuck before he even arrived here.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

I feel the same.  A forward can also do stuff behind the play without hurting his team as much as a D man.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, gameburn said:

I feel the same.  A forward can also do stuff behind the play without hurting his team as much as a D man.

“Beat ‘em,

bust ‘em,

that’s our custom.

Bust ‘em,

beat ‘em,

let’s defeat ‘em!”

Fans’ cheer from a very long time ago. 

It’s time to bring it back.:towel:

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Kind of odd that his only loss is to Juice.

I would love to see this years team play in the 70’s. Just think of all the crazy flows and mo’s that this truculent band of merry men would sport whilst being pugilistic-ally superior to most teams.

It’a big if (literally and figuratively) but if Tryamkin comes back next Spring it would only add to how much larger the team has become over the last year. 

Juice was an absolute monster, and Ferland was only just coming into the league. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, gameburn said:

As far as I know, If he has to retire because of injury, we don't have a contract, therefore contract length isn't an issue.  Or is it long-term injured reserve?

In any case, I assume length of contract isn't an issue? 

Other players have been able to put concussions behind them and have careers.  Not sure of the percentage (my fear is that it's not good) but some do have careers.  Crosby is our most famous case, as everyone knows.  The guy missed an entire season.

Sometimes I wonder if the league wouldn't have been better off if he had retired from this cause.  Might have brought about some really big changes.   

He'd go on LTIR. Wouldn't count against cap but Aqua would have to pay his salary. Insurance would be very expensive for a guy with bad concussion history.  

So that's why teams would be hesitant. Not fans' money but no owner wants to pay millions of dollars per year to a player who can't play

In Crosbys case he was misdiagnosed. Turned out it was some sort of nerve issue in his neck. Penguins medial staff was fired.  

2 hours ago, Dombrova22 said:

Juice was an absolute monster, and Ferland was only just coming into the league. 

One of the best all time at it. Those superman punches....

Edited by Gnarcore
  • Cheers 2