The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

1 hour ago, nuck-lifer said:

Here are points totals of last years players being possibly replaced by this years, at least to start

Baer, Sutter or another player may be gone so this is as of now.

This can be up for debate but it just goes to show the production increase that we hope to get this year with the offensive depth added.

2018-19- points before acquisitions

Granlund- 22

Gaudette- 12- may start in AHL

Schaller- 10

Leipsic- 5

Hutton-20

Gudbranson- 10

Pouliot- 12

Total- 91

2018-19 replacement player points past year

Miller- 47

Pearson- 27

Ferland- 40

Leivo- 18

Myers- 31

Hughes- 35 projected.-  he had 3 point in 5 games so had to tail this projection back somewhat as certain don't expect 50 points

Benn- 22

Total - 220

Hughes, our next Calder Trophy winner!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Ferland   Petey     Brock

Miller      BO         Pearson

Leivo     Sutter     Virtanen

Motte     Beagle   MacEwen

Goldobin

Roussel (LTIR)

I'm sorry but there is no room for Baertschi anymore. 

I think it depends.

If he's here and healthy, it could possibly be...

Miller/Ferland EP Boeser

Baertschi Horvat Ferland/Miller

Pearson Sutter Virtanen

Leivo Beagle Motte

I think the 3 additions - MIller, Ferland, Pearson - probably push Goldobin out, and probably LE - of the 3 I'd prefer to keep Baertschi unless there is a decent market for him - no need to dump him, no need for cap space or to sell low on him imo - and the competition could just push him to another level - in which case Pearson (may have good chemistry with Horvat, but so does Baertschi) - Pearson isn't exactly a misfit in 3LW type role (maybe better suited than Baertschi). 

Great problem to have imo when guys like Baer, LE, Goldy are on the edges of your lineup - and Schaller (a pretty good, serviceable depth forward) is a longshot to earn a spot.

51 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I agree that others were pulling the strings and now I think this is free reign to JB now and we see the results and I'm sure happy.

I never liked the deal from day 1 but no certainly it didn't cripple the team.

Nah, not really. By your logic if someone comes up and gets a point in their first game and then goes back down they're producing at a ppg pace...

Imo JB has drafted well so I would have sooner rolled the dice on him making a selection.

See my response to Jimmy.

Man, you sure can say a whole lot without actually saying anything at all... Quite the talent you have there...

"I feel, therefore" 

Edited by 5Fivehole0
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Curious if the rumour that Flames offered more AAV and same term is true.   I don't have a legitimate source but am hearing it more and more.   

Wasn’t it Peters who didn’t want Ferland on the club ? Thus the trade..  and not long after his rehab/stage process?

18 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Curious if the rumour that Flames offered more AAV and same term is true.   I don't have a legitimate source but am hearing it more and more.   

They couldn't.  Still have to sign Tkachuk, 18YO, and Rittich with less than $10mil in cap remaining with 21 contracts.  They almost certainly have to move salary to accomplish just that.

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

Who could be that myopic though?

Oh they exist

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

The fact that Linden got canned shows the plan changed.

Yep. When you have lost a president and a head coach obviously things aren’t going as planned. But some people here are quite stubborn. 

42 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I think if Canucks brass had talked to him about playing with Pettersson and Boeser, maybe he would know how to pronounce their names lol

Recall that he said "Petter... Pederson", knowing full well that Petey wants his name pronounced with the "North American accent."

^_^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Starting?  What has taken you so long?

In all seriousness, I love the Ferland signing.  Hopefully he can stay healthy and be the wrecking ball with the ability to pitch in with a 20-20 for foreseeable future.  The Canucks have all the makings of a rabid wolf pack.  Just the sort of team I love watching. 

Getting closer to being the Big Bad Canucks.  Too bad that cap space won't permit it, but an Adam McQuaid signing would have rounded out an uber phenomenal off-season for JB (not sure what I would call it if JB was able to shed the Loui contract...I would probably lose my mind with joy).

Last month his agent said that McQuaid is still trying to recover from that concussion he got at the end of March.  

Just now, 18W-40C-6W said:

I haven’t looked but who are the likely candidates (if you know off the top of your head)?

quinn vs jack for sure (won’t that be fun!)

kakko

who else? 

cale makar, adam fox to name a couple.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Jim is methodical and, unlike some, doesn't panic.  The idea that, somehow, the team isn't aware of holes and needs is...kind of ridiculous.  It just takes time to adequately address them.  

I hope that those who constantly slam Benning can get off the stubborn stance and accept that he is making some moves that are improving this team.  A great deal.

Not JUST for the future because that's short sighted.  The bridge to the future holds prospect and you can have a bit of both.  You don't have to hoard picks and wait...you can upgrade when/if possible and start building a winner now.  Because you never know how far that will take you.

Pretty much my mantra for a lot of things. People seem to want to think we own the entire league and can just make whatever trade we want on a whim and sign whoever we want at the cap hit we want (and ironically, these are also people who claim to be "realistic" a lot of the time and claim CDC.com is full of homers, etc)..

I've always felt it's about picking the right players over shipping away our assets (another factor people forget, need to give to get) and acquiring picks. We're not going to win every pick, even in the 1st round, but since when has any GM been perfect in anything?

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Wanless said:

Different positions sure

But when scoring is an issue you go out and get it. 

Anderssons TOI was 16/game, 19 points. 

Hutton had 25 his first full year as a comparable. 

The point is we got a second liner

Flames got a 5-6 dman. They're everywhere. Hell we had 4 on the bench each game last year

Trades involving picks cannot be evaluated on a simple moment-in-time snapshot, same as moving futures for rentals.  Like with Baertschi, the team giving up the futures gets the benefit NOW and for possibly several years before the other team gets anything, plus the fact they lose out on that current asset.  We've gotten several years of Baertschi as a top-6 forward whereas Calgary had nothing but a prospect in the pipeline.  In another 5 years Baertschi could be out of the league and Andersson a top-4 dman, or Baertschi returns a 2nd round pick in trade and Andersson busts and is out of the league.

11 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yep. When you have lost a president and a head coach obviously things aren’t going as planned. But some people here are quite stubborn. 

Or perhaps the myopia is in not realizing that Green was the succession plan, and WD was a placeholder.

No one really knows what the meat of the difference between Linden and FA was - so making the assumption that it represented a "failed plan" is mere assumption on your part - assumption to suit a speculative narrative - you clearly don't know what either the "plan" was - or what the differences consisted of. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Jim is methodical and, unlike some, doesn't panic.  The idea that, somehow, the team isn't aware of holes and needs is...kind of ridiculous.  It just takes time to adequately address them.  

I hope that those who constantly slam Benning can get off the stubborn stance and accept that he is making some moves that are improving this team.  A great deal.

Not JUST for the future because that's short sighted.  The bridge to the future holds prospect and you can have a bit of both.  You don't have to hoard picks and wait...you can upgrade when/if possible and start building a winner now.  Because you never know how far that will take you.

Funny thing is, one day we will win the Stanley Cup,.  and I can only imagine some of the ridiculous questions that will come out of mouths from most of the media here..                 “So Jim,.  How did you do that”? 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3