The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Laffs Idea For Boeser Contract

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

Was kicking this around today(figured it might cause a fuss), but then, by chance, saw a Van poster mention the same idea on HFBoards.

What if they delayed Brock's signing 4-6 wks into the season? Use some pretext of a LBI(for example). It would be fully agreed(in private) between JB & BB. Shake hands on a number, then go through the motions as the team adjusts/tweaks roster/cap/LTIR etc, until it's perfectly ideal for lift-off.

Basically, use the model of that little princess WillyNy.

- Could pro-rate the salary so Brock gets a whack of $, up front. Maybe even a large bonus next summer

- Imagine we could lock him in for about 45~47 mill/7 yrs. Perhaps getting a lower cap-hit, by taking such a measure?

- Assuming EP & Hughes will be up for large coin, this might be helpful when we really need every $'s space

- It's kind of a circuitous way to have a 24 man roster in the Fall. Probably a fwd(s) gets banged up, & then we'd just shorten the plan, if necc

- So you give a depth guy an opportunity to see if he meshes with some new faces. Could be valuable research-time for later in the yr(when teams are often depleted)

- Or you might even swing a Nov deal, if someone bumps their value up, as another team hits early injuries. Make the deal just as Brock is returning to lineup.

I know everyone wants to hit Oct full-blast, top lineup poised on the starting line..but it increasingly appears to me the winners pace themselves, & don't really roll hard/steady until the season's 2nd half.

Brock might even benefit from great health, & a focused 60 game season.

With no chance of any offer sheet(ineligible of course), I'd be fine if they looked at all $ options(to keep his cap-hit low as possible).

Or, is this just a crazy idea?..

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Cheers 1

Not sure why that benifits the team, we need him in the lineup and it’s not like last year where he hasn’t even started skating yet by now (read today he’s already skated 22 times and is in perfect/great condition).    In other words he won’t need the rest.   It seems like anything is possible at this moment,  including a one year deal so he can show the Canucks he can play a full season, to a short-long bridge deal, to a full deal just to free agency (please not this) to a max term deal.  

Im not worried about cap space.  AG will be in Utica, same with Schaller assuming nobody picks him up, same with LE....there’s enough cap savings available to sign him to a 7 million deal and still make it under the cap day one not including Rousell.   

Would be quite the week if he signed too, nice to see he’s pumped at all the changes, upgrades and new faces and that he’s stoked to see the direction the team is going.  The way he’s talking it wouldn’t surprise me at all to see a team friendly deal at all.  

At the same time other prime RFA deals are dragging their feet because they want to see what others get first.  Aho is done, but not Point, MT and Rantanen, all of which should get more then Brock. Wouldn’t be apposed to Benning waiting it out to make sure he doesn’t overpay, as there is no way he should be getting as much as any of them...yet.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

There is no advantage to waiting to sign Brock. Just like there was no advantage that TO got for signing WIlliam Nylander in the middle of the season. Nylander's AAV was still 7M last year it was just pro-rated to 10M because the start date on that contract was delayed. So basically instead of being paid 7M to play October-April, he got paid the same 7M to play between December-April, hence that 7M became 10M. 

Just FYI, all the above numbers are cap numbers and not salary $. 

Basically TO did not punish Nylander for the holdout but took the brunt of the cap upon themselves. There is no doubt that Dubas gave up a lot to secure the Nylander signing. We shall see if it was worth it this coming season. I believe it will be because I expect Nylander to have a big year next year and I don't think they could have gotten appropriate value for him during the holdout or during his recent struggles. I do see it being very difficult for Dubas to keep his promise not to trade that contract though.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Was kicking this around today(figured it might cause a fuss), but then, by chance, saw a Van poster mention the same idea on HFBoards.

What if they delayed Brock's signing 4-6 wks into the season? Use some pretext of a LBI(for example). It would be fully agreed(in private) between JB & BB. Shake hands on a number, then go through the motions as the team adjusts/tweaks roster/cap/LTIR etc, until it's perfectly ideal for lift-off.

Basically, use the model of that little princess WillyNy.

- Could pro-rate the salary so Brock gets a whack of $, up front. Maybe even a large bonus next summer

- Imagine we could lock him in for about 45~47 mill/7 yrs. Perhaps getting a lower cap-hit, by taking such a measure?

- Assuming EP & Hughes will be up for large coin, this might be helpful when we really need every $'s space

- It's kind of a circuitous way to have a 24 man roster in the Fall. Probably a fwd(s) gets banged up, & then we'd just shorten the plan, if necc

- So you give a depth guy an opportunity to see if he meshes with some new faces. Could be valuable research-time for later in the yr(when teams are often depleted)

- Or you might even swing a Nov deal, if someone bumps their value up, as another team hits early injuries. Make the deal just as Brock is returning to lineup.

I know everyone wants to hit Oct full-blast, top lineup poised on the starting line..but it increasingly appears to me the winners pace themselves, & don't really roll hard/steady until the season's 2nd half.

Brock might even benefit from great health, & a focused 60 game season.

With no chance of any offer sheet(ineligible of course), I'd be fine if they looked at all $ options(to keep his cap-hit low as possible).

Or, is this just a crazy idea?..

Nobody has won a Stanley Cup in October/November....but a lot of teams have missed the playoffs with a bad start.  The St-Louis Blues was the exception, you won't see a team that bad in Oct-Dec win the cup again in probably 20-30 years.

Edited by timberz21
  • Upvote 1

I think it's a good idea and I don't understand why there's so much hate. If we could give Boeser an inflated cap hit this year for a lower cap hit for the next 5 it would be ideal. But unfortunately;

1) Boeser sounds like he doesn't want a long term deal, which takes away some of the benefits of doing this.

2) We don't have the cap space for Boeser at an inflated cap hit this year without some considerable moves. 

3) Benning is gunning for the Playoffs this year and sitting out our best goal scorer for a couple of months will not help us in that. 

4) There's no reason to believe that contract talks are at an impasse.

5) Benning has not shown much in the form of creative cap management. 

I don't think it's a trash idea, but it's not very likely to happen at all. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, admittedly not such an inspired-notion..had been a long day :^)

Thanks @Toews for clarifying Nylander's deal..I'd forgotten how that initial 10 mill was calculated.

Think I'm just gonna recline this here La-Z-Boy, & kick my feet up for the summer. The Canucks are STILL not compensating me, for my unique, far-off perspective/expertise, & I lack the alligator skin for critics' slings & arrows.

But wait, one more trade concept...

10 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I think it's a good idea and I don't understand why there's so much hate. If we could give Boeser an inflated cap hit this year for a lower cap hit for the next 5 it would be ideal. But unfortunately;

1) Boeser sounds like he doesn't want a long term deal, which takes away some of the benefits of doing this.

2) We don't have the cap space for Boeser at an inflated cap hit this year without some considerable moves. 

3) Benning is gunning for the Playoffs this year and sitting out our best goal scorer for a couple of months will not help us in that. 

4) There's no reason to believe that contract talks are at an impasse.

5) Benning has not shown much in the form of creative cap management. 

I don't think it's a trash idea, but it's not very likely to happen at all. 

"I love Vancouver. The organization, the city, the fans, everything's great there, and I want to be there for a long time."

come again?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Davathor said:

"I love Vancouver. The organization, the city, the fans, everything's great there, and I want to be there for a long time."

come again?

The most recent rumour I'm going off of is the one that said Boeser's camp is looking for a 4 year deal.

2 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

The most recent rumour I'm going off of is the one that said Boeser's camp is looking for a 4 year deal.

I would prefer to go off direct quotes from the player and his proven character qualities. his agent will of course add to rumors to increase leverage.

he has gelled with his teammates like friends, and there is no doubt in my mind he wants to stay with this core for the foreseeable future. hopefully he doesn't push for too high a cap hit so we can be ultra competitive

14 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

I would prefer to go off direct quotes from the player and his proven character qualities. his agent will of course add to rumors to increase leverage.

he has gelled with his teammates like friends, and there is no doubt in my mind he wants to stay with this core for the foreseeable future. hopefully he doesn't push for too high a cap hit so we can be ultra competitive

Boeser didn't say anything about a 7 year deal. He could sign a 4 year deal and an 8 year deal after that and still be in Vancouver for a long time.