The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Avalanche re-sign J.T. Compher

5 minutes ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

hmm overpayment ? 

Maybe a little. Must be betting on him to continue improving.

Edit: It does make the Ferland deal look even better, indeed. I still can't believe how pleased I am with our signings this off-season.

Edited by Gäz
  • Upvote 3

At his age/development I think it's reasonable to think he can continue to improve. 

If he hits 45 or 50pts (very realistic with Col imo) this deal won't be an issue. 

Edited by Fanuck

6 minutes ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

hmm overpayment ? 

This makes Ferland Contract a steal.

Compher had 32 points last season..

Ferland had 40+ 

I like Ferland, so this comment has nothing to do with me not liking him.

However, Compher is 3 years younger, and was a half a point player in the playoffs for the Avs this last year. When Ferland was Compher’s age, he had 18 points (and 4 goals) in 71 games. Compher is coming off 32 points and 16 goals in 66 games. The year before, he had 23 points and 13 goals. This is a good contract.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

hmm overpayment ? 

Ferland had 40+ 

24 years old...3 years younger....banking that his production will increase.

But no question, being a UFA, Ferland was a heck of a deal.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Compher plays C and both wings (maybe just RW, but I'm pretty sure both wings) and put up 32 points in 66 games.  That's close to a 40-point pace if he played a full season and it was a good improvement on the previous year.  $3.5M for 4-years seems a bit much but he's a decent, versatile player which, IMHO, makes the deal reasonable.  It's probably not a steal unless Compher starts putting 45+ point seasons, but for the Av's, at least that seems like a possibility.

36 minutes ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

hmm overpayment ? 

Ferland had 40+ 

But but we were the only team to offer that 4th year, so that makes the Ferland deal a bad one :P

Just gotta wrap up Rantanen and the Avs look unbelievable considering how much cap space they still have left... and they still have so much young talent coming up including Byram and Newhook.  Honestly, if they don't win the Cup while Mackinnon's contract is still at 6.3M, they would really have F'd up big time.

3 hours ago, Monty said:

I like Ferland, so this comment has nothing to do with me not liking him.

However, Compher is 3 years younger, and was a half a point player in the playoffs for the Avs this last year. When Ferland was Compher’s age, he had 18 points (and 4 goals) in 71 games. Compher is coming off 32 points and 16 goals in 66 games. The year before, he had 23 points and 13 goals. This is a good contract.

yeah but if we're doing that....

Ferland made 825 k in 2016/17, when he had 15 goals.

He then made 1.75  for the next two years, with 38 goals and 81 pts.

Compher has 60 NHL pts in 156 games - and is now the proud owner of a 14 million contract. 

Good young two way player - also capable of killing penalties,  but I still find that a bit excessive, certainly relative to a guy like Ferland who has done more to earn it.   As people are pointing out here, the Avs are taking a calculated risk on this being a very good contract in the near future - quite possibly a very good risk - but for me, I still think players should need to do more to earn these kinds of terms first.  A 23 and then 32 pt season - imo earns a young player about half what Compher is getting.

I like the av"s big 3 and D prospects (so many).

The problem i have with the av"s is that they are very small up front. 

Only f"s above 6"2 are Kamenev, Burakovsky and Raantanen. Not exactly physical types of players either.

They have 5 fwds above 200lbs. I don't like their cup chances.

I just noticed Samuel Girard is 162lbs. Why hasn't sportsnet/tsn done a hit piece on why he is too small ala petey? Especially a dman at 162lbs....

Edited by GhostsOf1994
Spelling

15 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yeah but if we're doing that....

Ferland made 825 k in 2016/17, when he had 15 goals.

He then made 1.75  for the next two years, with 38 goals and 81 pts.

Compher has 60 NHL pts in 156 games - and is now the proud owner of a 14 million contract. 

Good young two way player - also capable of killing penalties,  but I still find that a bit excessive, certainly relative to a guy like Ferland who has done more to earn it.   As people are pointing out here, the Avs are taking a calculated risk on this being a very good contract in the near future - quite possibly a very good risk - but for me, I still think players should need to do more to earn these kinds of terms first.  A 23 and then 32 pt season - imo earns a young player about half what Compher is getting.

Ok

24 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

I like the av"s big 3 and D prospects (so many).

The problem i have with the av"s is that they are very small up front. 

Only f"s above 6"2 are Kamenev, Burakovsky and Raantanen. Not exactly physical types of players either.

They have 5 fwds above 200lbs. I don't like their cup chances.

I just noticed Samuel Girard is 162lbs. Why hasn't sportsnet/tsn done a hit piece on why he is too small ala petey? Especially a dman at 162lbs....

Their whole top line is over 200lbs and is very dominant, their top six forwards are all over 190 lbs. Their Dmen are pretty small though, but very good offensively. 

17 minutes ago, OfficeDonkey said:

Our JT > their JT

Jonathan Tanner Miller vs Joseph Taylor Compher

If he went by 'Tanner Miller' rather than JT Miller, we'd have two players (Pearson) going by the name 'Tanner' at the same time. Tanner can't be that common of a name

Edit: We also had Tanner Kero and Tanner MacMaster both play for Utica last season, though we have neither of them anymore. Not to mention the legacy of Tanner 'Fanner' Glass

Edited by Where's Wellwood
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Their whole top line is over 200lbs and is very dominant, their top six forwards are all over 190 lbs. Their Dmen are pretty small though, but very good offensively. 

Very similar to St. louis’ D, and they won the Cup. :ph34r: