The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Micheal Ferland | #79 | LW

-DLC-

15 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I don't see Crosby as a legit comparison. That said I am no doctor. Crosby plays a strong game but he was not an enforcer like Ferland who had many fights. He took a lot of hits to the head in those fights. The odd thing about my attraction to hockey is the physical play and even the fighting and yet I have no interest in Boxing. Go figure. What fans don't see in the fallout from fisticuffs. Many of these players suffer from long term disabilities both physical and mental. I suspect fighting will be gone for good within the decade. 

I don't know if fighting will be entirely gone. It's a part of hockey and the game always seems to have dirty hits and plays. If the refs can't be counted on to make the right calls when it comes to these (and hey, i get it that they're human), then naturally, the players will take matters into their own hands - that will usually mean fights. Look at the Tkachuk and Kassian incident. Dirty hit, wasn't called, and Kass took matters into his own hands. How can that element and aspect of the game be completely gone from the game? I find that hard to believe, even in a decades time. 

On 2/14/2020 at 5:24 PM, Kushman said:

And that's all she wrote. Ferlands career is done. Hope he makes a full recovery and enjoys the rest of his time with his family. Playing anymore hockey at this point is dangerous.

You could be right, but Crosby came back after a LOT of rest (was it a full year off including 2 summers?)  He's young enough to take off all of this year and next year and still have a couple of years left to play.   I think they have proper insurance for the players on this stuff... so retiring is definitely a worthy choice too. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, gameburn said:

You could be right, but Crosby came back after a LOT of rest (was it a full year off including 2 summers?)  He's young enough to take off all of this year and next year and still have a couple of years left to play.   I think they have proper insurance for the players on this stuff... so retiring is definitely a worthy choice too. 

It'll be hard on Ferland to retire. Most players want to go out on their terms (kind of like the Sedins), and not have to go out this way. 

I think if Ferland took the rest of the year off to recover, and make sure his brain is fully functioning - that's most important right? If he can get back to performing at the level he feels he needs to be at without concussion set backs, that's great. I'm not expecting Ferland to return to the team for the rest of the year, as well as next year. If he does, it'll be quite the surprise. I think the team shuts him down, and places him on LTIR. 

• Huggy Bear 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to having a healthy Michael Ferland whether this season (pending) or next season.  I think Ferland is a very smart player.  Looking back at his short highlights, he definitely has soft hands when the puck is on his stick.  

Hoping that his concussion doesn't totally alter his gritty game, but he certainly has the smarts and hands to play a somewhat skilled game too. 

Hoping for a full recovery for Michael!

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I'm looking forward to having a healthy Michael Ferland whether this season (pending) or next season.  I think Ferland is a very smart player.  Looking back at his short highlights, he definitely has soft hands when the puck is on his stick.  

Hoping that his concussion doesn't totally alter his gritty game, but he certainly has the smarts and hands to play a somewhat skilled game too. 

I think he can come back but he will need to stay away from the staged fights like what happened this year.  If he plays a hard gritty game I don't think that will be a problem.  Usually people who get concussions are the ones getting hit, not the other way around.  He just has to watch himself and not get into any foolish fights for nothing.  Hopefully we can add one or two guys who can drop the gloves on occasion so Ferland isn't required to do it all himself.  MacEwen should be one of those guys, we just need to add a sandpaper defencemen like a Joel Edmundson who can do some of the dirty work.

I don't think Ferland actually got a concussion this year.  I think it was all post concussion syndrome from not recovering fully from last year.  That fight he had he never really got hit.  And those times he left the game he never really seemed to have gotten hit either.  Hopefully with a full off season to recover he can come back.  Willie Mitchell was able to come back and still play a physical role for several years even after he had major post concussion symptoms.  But others players have not been able to.  The fact that Ferland is skating right now is good news as I don't think they would let him on the ice if he was still having dizziness and headaches.

• Cheers 2

On 3/23/2020 at 10:32 AM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I think these are the hopes and wishes of everyone.

I only hope he has a firm grasp on the line where it's time to call it a career.

I do have the feeling he's one more incident away from crossing that line.

I just hope he can let it go if it does happen.

• Cheers 1

On 3/23/2020 at 10:26 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

I think he can come back but he will need to stay away from the staged fights like what happened this year.  If he plays a hard gritty game I don't think that will be a problem.  Usually people who get concussions are the ones getting hit, not the other way around.  He just has to watch himself and not get into any foolish fights for nothing.  Hopefully we can add one or two guys who can drop the gloves on occasion so Ferland isn't required to do it all himself.  MacEwen should be one of those guys, we just need to add a sandpaper defencemen like a Joel Edmundson who can do some of the dirty work.

I don't think Ferland actually got a concussion this year.  I think it was all post concussion syndrome from not recovering fully from last year.  That fight he had he never really got hit.  And those times he left the game he never really seemed to have gotten hit either.  Hopefully with a full off season to recover he can come back.  Willie Mitchell was able to come back and still play a physical role for several years even after he had major post concussion symptoms.  But others players have not been able to.  The fact that Ferland is skating right now is good news as I don't think they would let him on the ice if he was still having dizziness and headaches.

I too think he will fully recover,.  I posted earlier in this thread my own journey with a concussion and symptoms that lasted over 15 months before I was able to return to work.

Yes, all injuries are not the same,  and no,  I am not a professional athlete..  but to even be “off” that little bit in the way your brain “fires” and “signals” , only creates other problems that make it not healthy to return for fear of hurting or injuring yourself in the same or dissimilar way.

Micheal is doing the right thing.   This season seems to be a right off for all anyway.  I just hope he is able to continue the recovery and exercise well at the same time.

Exercise is a good measurement to recovery..   the brain will only let the body do so much before it fatigues.  

That I do know myself from my journey, and I think that is something that could relate to what we have seen with Micheals recovery.

in his attempt to return to hockey in a Toronto game,  Ferland played well, I was surprised to see him go to the dressing room.

But Ferland realized he was “off”..  that realization is a healthy factor as well..  he stopped before another possible injury of any kind.

I do think Ferland will be back looking fantastic.

Its a journey that grabs you and takes you below water sometimes,.  But when all has cleared, everything is fresh again ..

Im sure Sid would say the same,.  and like others here , I think Crosby’s journey might be the comparison in this recovery.

Miller, MacEwan,  Virtannen, Tryamkin, Myers, Rafferty, ..  there will be a few here that can have Ferland back,.  and quite frankly I’m losing my taste for the “staged”, “get back”, or after a clean hit “retaliatory” fight.

They are not calling the instigator like they should.. get back to that, and be militant on that penalty and that part of game will evolve for the better again.

• Upvote 1

On 3/24/2020 at 10:46 AM, komodo0921 said:

I think these are the hopes and wishes of everyone.

I only hope he has a firm grasp on the line where it's time to call it a career.

I do have the feeling he's one more incident away from crossing that line.

I just hope he can let it go if it does happen.

was gunna say hopefully he can recover like crosby, but he plays way to heavy of a game for that to happen.

3 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

was gunna say hopefully he can recover like crosby, but he plays way to heavy of a game for that to happen.

If not I'd say the MF 'rd is DOOM 'd for his career

• Haha 1

On 3/25/2020 at 5:36 PM, TNucks1 said:

Crosby plays a pretty hard (if less heavy) game. No idea if Ferland can recover like Crosby did (everyone's different) but if he can, there's zero reason he can't play his game.

Priority has to be his health first though.

• Cheers 1

On 3/14/2020 at 6:46 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

If the final is going to be held in July and he is skating now then yeah there is a chance...

If the playoffs get extended to July/August/September etc., does that mean Benning can sign Tryamkin (in June) and he can play in those playoffs? I'm not very optimistic with completing the regular season and playoffs, but it sure would be nice. 

A healthy Ferland 6'1, 215 ibs, heavy on forecheck, big hits, smart plays, always around net for rebounds, makes more room for players on his line, will drop the gloves, very gritty a player every team needs when healthy..Vancouver would be that must better with Ferland playing in top 9 every night 14 - 17 mins would make Vancouver harder to play against..

Very excited with big  MacEwen 6'4, very gritty, speed, decent hands, will be a affective 3rd or 4th line guy only 23 and improving every year...Really feel he will take another step and RFA this summer i see Benning signing him to 2 yr deal one way, $900,000 per yr...

Edited by wildcam

1 hour ago, Sbriggs said:

Thats because he's playing zero NHL hockey

Yeah, I will be skeptical about his health until he's actually playing real NHL games and not having symptoms. Concussions are nasty like that.