The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning trying to get to "common ground" with Boeser

Rate this topic

BrockBoester

Brock stuff  

376 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

https://www.nhl.com/news/boeser-canucks-contract-talks-common-ground/c-308583626

New article from NHL.com with some (kind of) updates on the Brocket's contract battle with GMJB

Brock Boeser and the Vancouver Canucks are looking to find "some common ground" in their contract negotiation, general manager Jim Benning said Tuesday.

The 22-year-old restricted free agent forward remains unsigned with Canucks training camp starting Sept. 13.

"I am continuing to talk with (Boeser's agent) Ben Hankinson," Benning said after his three-year contract extension through the 2022-23 season was announced. "We are trying to get to some common ground. None of the RFAs have signed yet, so we're going to continue to work with him, and I am hopeful we can get something done here before camp so he is there for the start of camp."

Restricted free agent forwards Mitchell Marner (Toronto Maple Leafs), Kyle Connor and Patrik Laine (Winnipeg Jets), Brayden Point (Tampa Bay Lightning), Mikko Rantanen (Colorado Avalanche) and Matthew Tkachuk (Calgary Flames) also have not signed. Unlike those players, Boeser is not eligible for an offer sheet from another NHL team under the collective bargaining agreement because he played fewer than 10 games in 2016-17.

Marner is considering practicing with Zurich of the National League in Switzerland if he remains without a contract.

"We're not there yet," Benning said when asked about the possibility of Boeser heading overseas. "We have three more weeks to negotiate with Ben Hankinson about Brock and try to get it figured. I think the Bo Horvat (contract) happened like three days before camp (in 2017), so I still feel we have time to keep working on it and I'm hopeful it's going to get done."

Boeser, who had 56 points (26 goals, 30 assists) in 69 games last season, said July 10 he was optimistic he would sign.

"I feel confident we're going to get the deal done and everything's going to work out," he said. "I love Vancouver. The organization, the city, the fans, everything's great there, and I want to be there for a long time."

Boeser had 55 points (29 goals, 26 assists) in 62 games as an NHL rookie in 2017-18, when a back injury sustained March 5 ended his season. He finished second in Calder Trophy voting as NHL rookie of the year that season behind Mathew Barzal of the New York Islanders.

Boeser missed 13 games last season with a groin injury.

You guys think this deal gets done before the season? And if it doesn't will it be a distraction for Mr. Boeser?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I'm sure he's still focused on spending time and helping his dad recover. I'm still not worried about the contract.

Yeah but there was an article with a new quote from Benning! So I posted it.

I understand that he has bigger fish to fry right now with his dad's health and whatnot but the possibilities can still be considered, no?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BrockBoester said:

Yeah but there was an article with a new quote from Benning! So I posted it.

I understand that he has bigger fish to fry right now with his dad's health and whatnot but the possibilities can still be considered, no?

Its gonna get done.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/boeser-canucks-contract-talks-common-ground/c-308583626

New article from NHL.com with some (kind of) updates on the Brocket's contract battle with GMJB

You guys think this deal gets done before the season? And if it doesn't will it be a distraction for Mr. Boeser?

Why would BB get distracted by Tree's 'stache?!

edit disclosure- Kinda scanned quickly, didna think deeply

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Haha 3

Boeser doesn’t seem concerned and a continues to re-iterate how much he loves Vancouver and the fans and that he wants to play there for a long time.   He’s no Laine who wants 10 million or something (where do these RFAs get off?) well, because he’s scored more goals then just about everyone since he entered the league and feels he’s earned 80 million already, and is willing to sit for however long it takes apparently. 

Still going to take at least one more contract to set the market GMs are saying - might as well be us, he’s no AHO so less then that.   Better PPG then Conner but not by much and he’s at least proved durable - and also has upside so if he signs at less much then 6 I’d say Boesers deal won’t be long coming and be a good one for the team.   Said at the beginning do a Tarasenko deal and lock him in for 8 years - that would be great (same contract exactly).   Also not sure what’s keeping them other then JB waiting for BB to flinch and get the best possible deal like he did with Horvat.

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Boeser doesn’t seem concerned and a continues to re-iterate how much he loves Vancouver and the fans and that he wants to play there for a long time.   He’s no Laine who wants 10 million or something (where do these RFAs get off?) well, because he’s scored more goals then just about everyone since he entered the league and feels he’s earned 80 million already, and is willing to sit for however long it takes apparently. 

Still going to take at least one more contract to set the market GMs are saying - might as well be us, he’s no AHO so less then that.   Better PPG then Conner but not by much and he’s at least proved durable - and also has upside so if he signs at less much then 6 I’d say Boesers deal won’t be long coming and be a good one for the team.   Said at the beginning do a Tarasenko deal and lock him in for 8 years - that would be great (same contract exactly).   Also not sure what’s keeping them other then JB waiting for BB to flinch and get the best possible deal like he did with Horvat.

I agree here Brock is not in the same bargaining position as the other RFA's. One thing JB might be looking at is how long to lock Brock up for. As you stated there are a couple other comparable contracts we could see. Tarasenko is a good one. With the core of the team starting to come together and the supplementary pieces added its looking like this could be a good run for a few years. Brock will want to be a part of that. I don't know that they will get him locked up for 6 but i think 7 is a fair number given what we have seen so far in the market. Now if a Tkachuck hits a home run with Calgary for way more and Brock isnt signed first that could set a bad precedent

Edited by mikeyman109
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If he wants 4 years @ 28 mil I'd like to think they would settle for 4 @ 26. 6.5 Mil per year seems like a good deal for both sides, and Boeser would still be an RFA. Win win

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

None of the RFAs have signed the dotted line so singling out Laine seems unfair to me. Laine doesn't deserve 10M, his atrocious 5v5 play last year will eat into his salary or make him settle for a bridge. He can ask for whatever he wants imo He is one of the best in the world at a very valuable skill and that is putting the puck in the net. How many players scored 100 NHL goals before turning 21? Probably not a long list since the dead puck era.

If Winnipeg doesn't want to pay him, whatever he thinks is fair then he is entitled to go the distance. Jeff Skinner just got paid 9M/year because the Sabres couldn't afford to lose the goals that he is going to score. Goalscorers have considerable value and thats what BMac thinks got Skinner and Matthews paid.

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

We shall see but I think the top end gets set and I think the guys lower on the rung then get their money. Brock being goalscorer carries more weight than most people here think imo. Durability should be considered but it can also be argued that Brock doesn't have any chronic issues with the same injury. His injuries have been more of the freak variety but maybe the back injury will end up a factor in negotiations? From what it looks like both Benning and Boeser(& his agent) are waiting for the market to get set and for that to happen one of these RFAs will have to cave. Hopefully Marner or Rantanen sign soon as the guys lower on the totem pole are looking to these guys to see what the market is willing to pay.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

8 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

Benning trying to get to "common ground" with Boeser

How is it a battle if they are trying to get to common ground?

I feel like things are progressing fairly normally and we will likely see Boeser signed before training camp begins.  Things like this often come together at the last minute.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Boeser's agent is waiting for another comp contract. So far there's Meier at 6 mil x 4 years which will be the floor. But they won't hold out, there wouldn't be enough to gain as they aren't looking at an 8 year deal. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Boeser's agent is waiting for another comp contract. So far there's Meier at 6 mil x 4 years which will be the floor. But they won't hold out, there wouldn't be enough to gain as they aren't looking at an 8 year deal. 

The last year dollar amount is probably a sticking point, I can't imagine they are too far apart on the AAV. 

Benning probably wants to avoid giving out 9+ million on the last year on the contract so Boeser's qualifying offer isn't too high. 

• Upvote 2

This is a very interesting game of chicken- who blinks first

Predict in order of who signs first

Brayden Point- 6 year - 10,000,000 sept

Connor- 6 year - 8,500,000 sept

Boeser- 5 year- 7,200,000 sept

Tkachuk- 8 year - 8,500,000 close to deadline with papa bear very involved

Marner- takes TO to the deadline like Nylander and gets 8 year 11,500,000 over pay

Laine demands trade, no offer sheet given, holds out past signing period with no one wanting to touch him.... sails off to Finland with Puljujarvi

• Upvote 1