The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jesse Puljujarvi signs with Karpat (Finland)

4 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Whether people like it or not Pulj won't come cheap. He's still an unreal prospect.

By what measures can you possibly say this?

The only value he has is what his draft position was, and that keeps getting farther in the rear view mirror. 

His actual production is at a level that would have him waived if it weren’t for being an ex 1st rounder.  His NHL career high is 20 points, even his AHL production has been bad.

He is also a winger, so is at the least valuable position in the game.

Teams wouldn’t be interested except that Edmonton has a history of not developing guys well... and some GMs will believe that they can get more out of him.

When we traded fro Baertschi at that same age and development, he had double the PPG production that Puljujarvi has.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Read somewhere that the Oilers are looking at a Sergachev level prospect in return......

ludicrous....

#fakenews

Where did you read that. Who wrote it? A legit media source or a 14 year old on CDC. Please provide link.

I've followed the NHL for 40 years and I don't buy that report for a minute. No way Kenny Holland asked anyone or said to anyone he's looking for that type of a return. 

Zero chance.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, grandmaster said:

The most the Coilers will get is another under performing prospect or a 2nd rounder. This guy will be playing in Finland for the year. Coilers will want too much and he needs to prove himself for other teams. Best he stays out of the NHL and tries to return next year.

Most likely solution is he gets included with RNH in a deadline deal to a contender.  The Oilers simply value him way too highly compared with the rest of the league.

18 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Whether people like it or not Pulj won't come cheap. He's still an unreal prospect.

Like it or not...Virtanen has been as productive as Puljujarvi to within .06 ppg

But far better defensively and far more aggressive on the forecheck thus a far more versatile player.

It occurs to me, maybe Virtanen IS an...unreal prospect?

:bigblush:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Like it or not...Virtanen has been as productive as Puljujarvi to within .06 ppg

But far better defensively and far more aggressive on the forecheck thus a far more versatile player.

It occurs to me, maybe Virtanen IS an...unreal prospect?

:bigblush:

Virtanen is older, and his last season bright up his PPG total pretty significantly, so not entirely fair to compare them that directly.

I would probably trade Virtanen for Puljujarvi, but they might need a small sweetener as Jake has a much higher floor and less of a complete bust potential.  He can play in the bottom half if he can’t find his offensive game.... not sure that goes for Puljujarvi.

Personally, I think the guy is a player and has a future in the NHL as a top 6 winger. 

I’ve read all kinds of comments this summer about the kid on here which claim otherwise. Whatever. I’m not here to debate hypotheticals. 

What would you guys trade for Poolparty? 

(Not what a pile of “trash” he and the Oilers are)

Just curious.

• Wat 1

3 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Personally, I think the guy is a player and has a future in the NHL as a top 6 winger. 

I’ve read all kinds of comments this summer about the kid on here which claim otherwise. Whatever. I’m not here to debate hypotheticals. 

Just curious.

Personally, I'd wait to see how his upcoming season goes before making a decision.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Just curious.

Goldy and a pick at the most.  

Unless they want Sutter. 

Edit 

I should add, I don’t want to trade for Poolparty

Edited by drummerboy
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Personally, I'd wait to see how his upcoming season goes before making a decision.

Haha, well, hindsight isn’t really the point of this one, but yeah, I’m sure we’d take that approach on everyone if we could. 

I got roasted for offering Horvat for Brady Tkachuk, well ahead of any wait-and-see timeline, just because I enjoy that kind of thing. 

No skin off my back to collect those minuses ahead of judgement day. 

It gets us out and off the fence in our “opinions” and projections. All in good fun. 

Remember the OJ or MT debates? Haha, crickets today.

Thats kind of what I’m flushing out here. 

Those who think there’s nothing there in Poolparty are here to say so, but others are saying otherwise. 

More skin in the game if you offer up a trade value than just a guess on Prospect/Player pass or fail, I think. 

• Cheers 1

Oilers likely let him play in Finland for a while. They won't rush to trade him. 

Maybe package him at the TDL.

He won't be traded to Canucks.  Most likely goes to an Eastern Conference team. CAR is a good candidate. Reunite Aho and Pulju.

I would offer Lind plus 2nd but that probably wouldn't be enough. 

Edited by WHL rocks

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Same but that's the highest I'd go and Edmonton won't take it.  He's not going to get moved on his own.

Yip. I would trade Goldy as well. I agree Edmonton wouldn't do it. But realistically, would they get better? I doubt it. If Pool lights it up in Finland his value goes up but it's a gamble for the Oilers. If Pool sucks, yikes. His value plummets. Goldy, Ho Sang, Pool. Really not much value difference betwenn them at the moment IMHO. 

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

Yip. I would trade Goldy as well. I agree Edmonton wouldn't do it. But realistically, would they get better? I doubt it. If Pool lights it up in Finland his value goes up but it's a gamble for the Oilers. If Pool sucks, yikes. His value plummets. Goldy, Ho Sang, Pool. Really not much value difference betwenn them at the moment IMHO. 

If he lights it up in Finland, a competitive KHL offer is a real possibility.  Then his value goes down even more.  Edmonton has little to no leverage.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

What if we just scrapped checking lines and went all offence, all the time:

Motte and Beagle for Puljujarvi

Ferland Pettersson Boeser

Baertschi Horvat Miller

Pearson Gaudette Puljujarvi

Goldobin Sutter Virtanen

::D

you don't play against opposite dmen only, You have to contain their offensives lines too, and respond to their pressure. offence first minded lines don't do that.