The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

If you can get a 3rd for Goldy, do it immediately. 

Idk what the cap implications will be when Roussel gets back, but I'd rather not trade Baertschi if we can make it work. Waive Eriksson, Motte, Goldy, Schaller if you have too but I'd rather keep Sven if hes healthy and playing well. 

It was really Smashian's view.

5 minutes ago, riffraff said:

A third?!??  He has already played more nhl games than third round picks have have the odds of ever playing.

I'm in nether / nether land on it.

11 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

ie I don't disagree we should trade Goldobin for a 3rd if we could.  Don't really agree either.

I was more or less agreeing with Bennings position of letting him earn a job at camp.  I'd prefer to see Goldy win the job, than say Schaller? Less in need of the physical btoom 6 guy than this time last year...

But we only need one forward to be injured above and beyond Roussel.  And nobody has to go on waivers. Perhaps Biega?

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why not have him sit in the press box in Utica?  I’d rather Bulldog be our extra D and forward.  

I would LOVE to have Biega play wing in place of "Little Things".

At the very least he'd bring energy...which I've never heard anyone say about Eriksson.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why not have him sit in the press box in Utica?  I’d rather Bulldog be our extra D and forward.  

Also, I think we do save some money right away -- something around a million I think.  And in the long run we save more money when he quits to play in Europe or quits to find another contract.  

BTW, this kind of reasoning (demote so that you save a bit, hope a bit) would have worked last year or even the year before.  When we were tanking it would have been a nice "buy one get one free:" remove a guy who can kill penalties (tank on) and prepare the way for his contract to be gone (save money when the tank is done.)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

trading goldy for a third is a loss hes cheap contract let him get 25-40 points maybe get a second for him otherwise just keep him

Coho his butt.

Give him O zone starts and top 6 time....  gets his stats bumped up and move him then. Try to get a 2nd.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

But why do we need to 'recoup assets' for Leivo? Why not just keep Leivo...the asset?

Took the words right out of my mouth...

I was reading and wanted to quote a few guys on this but I thought someone would've already done that... than here it is.

I'm liking what Leivo brings.

Cheers bro.

• Cheers 3

7 hours ago, gameburn said:

Also, I think we do save some money right away -- something around a million I think.  And in the long run we save more money when he quits to play in Europe or quits to find another contract.  

BTW, this kind of reasoning (demote so that you save a bit, hope a bit) would have worked last year or even the year before.  When we were tanking it would have been a nice "buy one get one free:" remove a guy who can kill penalties (tank on) and prepare the way for his contract to be gone (save money when the tank is done.)

The thing is we have to pay someone at least league minimum to sit in the press box in Van, so that removes most of the savings benefit right there, would it not?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, canuktravella said:

trading goldy for a third is a loss hes cheap contract let him get 25-40 points maybe get a second for him otherwise just keep him

Unless that’s playing on the top line .... which is probably what he’d need to do to get that many.   Play the best players we have for each role - he’s got camp to earn a spot, if he doesn’t and gets waived it’s not the end of the world - don’t want anyone on the team that can’t earn a spot at this point.  So far he’s definitely working harder on the other side of the puck so maybe he’s learning there’s another way to get your ice time then just because you don’t fit in the bottom six so might as well play you on the top line.   It’s a sign of a deep team that loses guys to waivers...a healthy Bear is definitely a better option...

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Coho his butt.

Give him O zone starts and top 6 time....  gets his stats bumped up and move him then. Try to get a 2nd.

Have you seen pre-season? They've been throwing him in with EP40. And he still won't score. He now just passes. I'm not sure if this pressure to make him better defensively has mussed up his offence? Maybe lack of confidence? 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, NHL'er said:

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Miller

Baerstchi-Sutter-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-Eriksson

Goldy-Leivo

IR: Roussel

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Benn-Stecher

Fantenburg

Markstrom

Demko

Eriksson has not played better then Goldy in preseason. Goldy has been backchecking and working hard (broke up a sure goal with a great diving stick). Keep the players in who want to play over those who don’t. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

It was really Smashian's view.

I'm in nether / nether land on it.

I was more or less agreeing with Bennings position of letting him earn a job at camp.  I'd prefer to see Goldy win the job, than say Schaller? Less in need of the physical btoom 6 guy than this time last year...

But we only need one forward to be injured above and beyond Roussel.  And nobody has to go on waivers. Perhaps Biega?

Beiga should be a waiver player.  If he clears, his value to the club and as a trade chip go up.  If another team takes him, he gets an NHL gig, he's earned it. 

Unless another team ends up losing d men in preseason, he isn't the type of guy usually picked up on preseason waivers.  

Goldy, Motte and Leivo are suited to the 5th line atm.  All have room to grow, fit in different lines and are cheap, cheap cheap.  

Rafferty and OJ are all but Utica bound.  A good thing IMO.  Breeze is a guy I want to see more of.  Rather have him up than Biega if it means losing one vs the other.   To me Woo could earn  a 9 game stint as a carrot, but he is going back to jr for sure.  

We have to remember that Trymakin likely becomes available by the end of season.  It's like a TDL deal for a huge mobile defender with upside.  Nice to have that in the back pocket.  

Can we start packing Erikssons things yet?  I will help him move, maybe Burkie can drive him to airport.  

I doubt a cool dude like Eriksson will report to Utica.  Still some relief from him is better than none.  We have other guys that can kill penalties.  

Waive Eriksson.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Upvote 1