The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] 9/26 Canucks vs Coyotes @ 7:00 PM

Rate this topic

HerrDrFunk

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Goldy needs to be on the top 6.... somewhere. He's got such a great passing/playmaking skill set he's a waste on the bottom 6. 

It looks like Green is giving a Baer-Gaudette-maybe Loui/maybe Sutter type of line real consideration, either of which is good for different reasons.

So if Gaudettte stays, and he's earned it, I think the fallout is losing Goldy. But maybe thats OK, the kid is never going to be in our top 6 and he's going to suck on the bottom 6. 

Let Goldy go to waivers, we're not going to get anything for him and I'd like to see him succeed somewhere. i hate it when teams hang on to tweeners too long and get nothing for them anyway. Set Goldy free. 

I think Goldy's on waivers, Gaudette or otherwise. Only thing that might give him a brief reprieve is Boeser's status.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think Goldy's on waivers, Gaudette or otherwise. Only thing that might give him a brief reprieve is Boeser's status.

which is hopefully opening night ready. 

Guys got a top 6 skill set, not a bottom 6 one. Lets not force a round peg, etc. 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

which is hopefully opening night ready. 

Guys got a top 6 skill set, not a bottom 6 one. Lets not force a round peg, etc. 

Skill set yes. Defensive awareness, puck pursuit, finishing...those are at top 6 level.... in the AHL.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Goldy needs to be on the top 6.... somewhere. He's got such a great passing/playmaking skill set he's a waste on the bottom 6. 

It looks like Green is giving a Baer-Gaudette-maybe Loui/maybe Sutter type of line real consideration, either of which is good for different reasons.

So if Gaudettte stays, and he's earned it, I think the fallout is losing Goldy. But maybe thats OK, the kid is never going to be in our top 6 and he's going to suck on the bottom 6. 

Let Goldy go to waivers, we're not going to get anything for him and I'd like to see him succeed somewhere. i hate it when teams hang on to tweeners too long and get nothing for them anyway. Set Goldy free. 

100% in agreement.  Love Goldy but that's likely best for everyone.  

If Gaud isn't in the line up it's so deflating for those who try to bust their tail proving they can be.    He certainly has shown that he deserves to be here.  And we need him.

• Cheers 2

41 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Skill set yes. Defensive awareness, puck pursuit, finishing...those are at top 6 level.... in the AHL.

I'm not going to require "finishing" as much, there are lots of guys that were better playmakers than goal scorers. I think he's in that category. His defensive play is better than a lot of guys too, I think WPG would like to see Goldys defensive awareness out of Laine.

No player is perfect in all respects for their careers, maybe Forsberg was the last guy who had every tool in the box? 

I think people are maybe just a little too idealistic on here

If I am Benning, I am hiding assets in the early season, to cover off our own injuries, or wait for other teams to have injuries

I think Gaudette has played great, and I love him, but his faceoffs have been terrible, and for a 3rd line center, that's unacceptable

So, barring injuries, it is Gaudette, Eriksson, Schaller, and Biega that are either waiver exempt, not important, or too costly to be claimed

IMO, injuries will create enough  space for guys like Gaudette, McEwen, and Brsiebois to come up

Be patient, and look at the bigger picture, the players all understand how it works, and the manoeuvring that takes place by management

I believe, Benning will make moves, maybe just not immediately. 

Personally, I am concerned with our assistant coaches, and the schemes they employ, to me they are on the clock, as they were last year

It is my one question about Green, as they are his picks

While I am at it, I have opinions on 3 players, I might as well get out...……...

Virtanen...…..he has too much potential to be moved, and his last year contributions, were decent...…...he is safe for now

Eriksson...…..what he brings to the table is 3rd line stability, nothing more, nothing less...….not my 1st or 2nd choice, but still useable

Hughes...…...I think coaches have asked him to work on his defensive side, which IMO, is why you have not seen QH's best offensive side

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not going to require "finishing" as much, there are lots of guys that were better playmakers than goal scorers. I think he's in that category. His defensive play is better than a lot of guys too, I think WPG would like to see Goldys defensive awareness out of Laine.

No player is perfect in all respects for their careers, maybe Forsberg was the last guy who had every tool in the box? 

By 'finishing', I mean even getting assists. He has not produced enough offensively, consistently ,even when playing with good players, to warrant ignoring his other deficiencies.

At this point, unless he somehow proves otherwise, he's at Reid Boucher level. An AHL'er. To the disappointment of all.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

I have to say that Edler is so important on this team...sometimes he gets flack but last night he was so invested and, especially early on, "involved".  Played a hard, physical game.  Love that guy...never any drama, just is solid and I feel he needs a shout out.  So here it is.

He's our point leader for pre season no?

41 minutes ago, aGENT said:

By 'finishing', I mean even getting assists. He has not produced enough offensively, consistently ,even when playing with good players, to warrant ignoring his other deficiencies.

At this point, unless he somehow proves otherwise, he's at Reid Boucher level. An AHL'er. To the disappointment of all.

ah ok. Yeah its a bummer, you can see the flashes of skill and he seems like a nice kid with the right attitude, just can't seem to make it stick. I'd like to see him land somewhere, preferable in the east :P

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think people are maybe just a little too idealistic on here

If I am Benning, I am hiding assets in the early season, to cover off our own injuries, or wait for other teams to have injuries

I think Gaudette has played great, and I love him, but his faceoffs have been terrible, and for a 3rd line center, that's unacceptable

So, barring injuries, it is Gaudette, Eriksson, Schaller, and Biega that are either waiver exempt, not important, or too costly to be claimed

IMO, injuries will create enough  space for guys like Gaudette, McEwen, and Brsiebois to come up

Be patient, and look at the bigger picture, the players all understand how it works, and the manoeuvring that takes place by management

I believe, Benning will make moves, maybe just not immediately. 

Personally, I am concerned with our assistant coaches, and the schemes they employ, to me they are on the clock, as they were last year

It is my one question about Green, as they are his picks

While I am at it, I have opinions on 3 players, I might as well get out...……...

Virtanen...…..he has too much potential to be moved, and his last year contributions, were decent...…...he is safe for now

Eriksson...…..what he brings to the table is 3rd line stability, nothing more, nothing less...….not my 1st or 2nd choice, but still useable

Hughes...…...I think coaches have asked him to work on his defensive side, which IMO, is why you have not seen QH's best offensive side

I think you're right as well.

He's been brilliant in pre season, but there's better than average chance JB takes the easy option and puts Gaud to Utica.

Asset management... + he'll get more minutes there playing as a center man...  

But I would love to see him stay.

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

After going to the game last night, I won't be surprised at all if the first month or two is a slow burn to finding chemistry both offense and defense. 

I'm not going to put much stock in the preseason but I was surprised by the lack of spark and cohesiveness. I thought we'd look better, with more momentum or jump to end the preseason.

It just looked like everyone was trying to find their way. There was an overall lack of comfort or confidence. If there was anything I took away, it was that. 

And if it is going to take time for the team to gel and our lines to find chemistry, we need a guy like Gaudette in the lineup to be a spark. Gaudette's energy and effort is consistent. You can rely on that when others are off-balance.

To me Gaudette was most notable. It just seemed like he was everywhere. Ferland was good. Also thought Baertschi looked good as well. Loved Edler's game as well. The positives stood out last night.

I thought our D last night just looked insecure overall. I'm glad the final roster is going to be set so our lines and pairings can focus on building chemistry. If anything, just judging by last night's game, our guys need more games with each other to hit their groove. And everyone needs to be playing with the energy and effort of Gaudette. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

After going to the game last night, I won't be surprised at all if the first month or two is a slow burn to finding chemistry both offense and defense. 

I'm not going to put much stock in the preseason but I was surprised by the lack of spark and cohesiveness. I thought we'd look better, with more momentum or jump to end the preseason.

It just looked like everyone was trying to find their way. There was an overall lack of comfort or confidence. If there was anything I took away, it was that. 

And if it is going to take time for the team to gel and our lines to find chemistry, we need a guy like Gaudette in the lineup to be a spark. Gaudette's energy and effort is consistent. You can rely on that when others are off-balance.

To me Gaudette was most notable. It just seemed like he was everywhere. Ferland was good. Also thought Baertschi looked good as well. Loved Edler's game as well. The positives stood out last night.

I thought our D last night just looked insecure overall. I'm glad the final roster is going to be set so our lines and pairings can focus on building chemistry. If anything, just judging by last night's game, our guys need more games with each other to hit their groove. And everyone needs to be playing with the energy and effort of Gaudette. 

I noticed the lack of rhythm too. Not just one guy, but almost everybody. The positional play for most of the game was terrible, it led to a number of really strong chances against and was directly detrimental to offensive flow. I mean it was a good showcase for Markstrom to get some confidence, but our young d-men were looking really young sometimes.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2