The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] If you had the chance..

Hughes talk  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

...would you trade Quinn Hughes for Jack Hughes, straight up?

After today's game, many Canucks fans are wondering if we ended up with the lesser Hughes. I'm not one of those people, but there are comments all over the internet from die-hard NHL fans that Quinn is the consolation prize as far as Hughes brothers go.

I don't really see where these fans are coming from, but if I had it my way, we'd grab Luke and throw the Devils a king's ransom to acquire Jack.

Can you imagine? From the Sedin twins to the Hughes Triplets? There could be a whole new era of family-based hockey in Vancouver! Would love to see all three of them on the ice, and the commentator saying "Hughes, over to Hughes, back to Hughes at the blueline, Hughes drives to the net, Hughes cross-ice to Hughes, he shoots, he scores!!" And then the arena announcer, "..with his 99th goal of the season, X Hughes!! Assisted by Hughes and Hughes!"

Anyway, I think that Quinn is a great defenseman, and I wouldn't trade him straight up for Jack. However, I would definitely make every effort possible to get the other two Hughes bros and unite them under the blue and green!

The family that plays together, stays together!

Do you guys think we'd have a trade package that the Devils would consider? It would certainly be a HUGHES attraction for years to come - the Incredible Hockey Playing Hughes Brigade featuring Bo, Brock and Petey!

Or do we need to start a petition addressed to GMJB in order to really get the wheels turning on this acquisition?

Please discus.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Any deal for Jack Hughes would involve 2 of Horvat, Petey, Boeser, Quinn Hughes, going the other way.  It didn't get done at the draft for a reason.

What if we sprinkled in, like, our 1st rounders for the next 5 years, and toss in Eriksson at 50% retained salary?

• Haha 1

I wouldn't do the trade because we need what Quinn brings on the backend.

We have Petey upfront already.

Would it be nice to have Jack? Heck yeah.

Is he the better Hughes brother?

Well he did go first overall so that is a fair assumption, but still an assumption.

Ask me in 5 years which Hughes is the best, and which we need more.

Hughes triplets in Van?  Yes.

Under the cap? Oh you mean in real life? No

Edited by Kosmo Kramer
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Nope, I wouldn’t trade Quinn for Jack. From an organizational need defence is higher on the list than centers. Also Quinn is showing a ton of potential. All that said I doubt very much that Jersey makes that trade either. 

As to getting all three...if Luke is there at our pic and it’s the move Benning says is a home run then you grab him. The assets required to acquire talent this high this young is not worth it. Build from within, draft well and be patient. There is no magic pill to take is to the cup. 

• Upvote 3

I dunno, I'm very happy with Quinn. He's looking like he could provide something we've desperately needed on the back end since maybe Ehrhoff. Jack could be great but we've got Petey and Bo. We need Quinn more than we need Jack right now. 

What happened with the twins here was incredibly unique and I don't expect to ever see anything like it again. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Luke is definitely the one I'd go after.  He'll be the biggest brother by far and from all accounts is just as good a skater as his brothers.  Little Jack reminds me of little Johnny.  He will get his points in the regular season but come playoff time he will be invisible.  Quinn has more bite than Jack, I don't see him having issues in the playoffs. 

Luke may be the #1 overall pick in 2021 so unless we miss out on the playoffs and win the lottery there is probably no chance we get him.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1