The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discuss] Markstrom's Future

Rate this topic

86Viking

This is a transitional year for this team. Its a year made to improve and let the kids play and develop. Demko, Hughes, Petey, Juolevi, Rafferty etc. should all be able to use this year and NHL time to develop.

Personally I would trade Markstrom at the deadline. BUT, you would have to get a good return (1st+) and a decent NHL goalie to split the starts with Demko if he struggles.Something like

Markstrom

for

Talbot+1st+Bennett

This team should not be afraid of moving players such as Sutter, Pearson, Leivo, Beagle, Schaller, Tanev and Benn to give opportunities to developing youngsters such as Gaudette, MacEwen, Goldy, Baer, Juolevi, Rafferty, Jasek and Lind

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

My heart says Markstrom, my head says Demko. Marky will be 30 pretty quick whereas Demko will be 24 fairly quick. Demko's also closer to the age bracket of our talented youth. Marky's never looked better but Demko's always shown great promise. 

I don't envy JB and co, this won't be an easy decision with expansion looming. 

If expansion wasn't looming it'd be an easy decision to keep Marky as long as he signs a fair contract

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

If expansion wasn't looming it'd be an easy decision to keep Marky as long as he signs a fair contract

Agreed, it's the expansion wrinkle that makes it all such a challenge. In a perfect world the expansion draft wouldn't be a thing and Demko would overtake Marky naturally. 

I think the most likely scenario is we’ll expose Markstrom, but trade a decent pick/young player to Seattle in exchange they don’t take him. Giving up an asset would hurt a little, but not as much as it would losing Markstrom or Demko for nothing.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Wait and see if Marky keeps this up all season, and if he's play is enough to lead this team to play offs... atm Marky has earned the right to be in the teams long term plans...

If he keeps this up, sign him to a 4 year extension, add a NTC if that keeps the $ down...

Demko has been good in his 3 games, but a dip in form could knock his confidence and the team can't wait another 3-4 years for him to become elite... Not sold on De Pietro yet....

We have the team now. The next 4 years is going to be very interesting.

Onboard with the suggestion of a sweetener to Seattle to leave Demko, if he continues to look good....

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am a real Demko believer

He has always been elite, he has an incredible outlook

and he has always had the stats to back it up

IMO, and I know I am not in the majority

I would play Markstrom and Demko equally until the deadline (actually mid January)

See how Demko plays...….that is really the question, isn't it?

If he can maintain his numbers......then we move Markstrom this year

He is a huge asset and has huge value, but he is getting older...

So, the time to get this figured out is now, so that we know, going into the TDL this year

I don't think the question is how good is Markstrom, I think the question is......

How good is Demko? And IMO, if Carter Hart can be #1 in Phili, then Demko can in Vancouver

The question to me is, if Demko can't take the job from Markstrom, how much value does he (Demko) really have?

And if  Demko can , while Markstrom is playing like this, then we are set for 10 years with Demko

and Markstrom, will bring a solid return, that might help us fill in another spot...….

What is Markstrom's value in trade? That is my question. Who needs a number 1 in the worst way?

But again, this should be determined this fall, when there is no pressure to make the decision.

In my opinion, the closer we get to the draft, the more goalies will be on the market,

because you can only protect one, so now (TDL) is the time to move one, if that is what you are going to do

In the mean time, Jimbo better be on the phone to Seattle to see what their want is, if they leave our goalies alone.

Keeping in mind, we have already moved a 2019-2020 1st for Miller. So what would that cost be?

Do we want to use up another 1st ? I don't think so!

Think the real question is, which goalie can take us to the play offs....or very close to it....

Without play offs after all the wheeling and dealing, we are just another Oilers team, rebuilding the rebuild...

And in that case, Demko gets protected...

Demko is a huge talent, who may become a legit no.1

If Demko can out play Marky in the games he plays, fair play, but doubt management will split the starts 50/50 this season..

Unless Marky folds, I think, he will get the lions share...

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

Marky's a UFA at year's end so the question is what the UFA market will be for a 30 year old starting calibre yet not quite elite goalie? If there is belief that there's a market that'll offer him long term and / or high salary then I think you have to trade him and run with Demko (who is still unproven but has shown flashes). Obviously if there's no market then you can resign Marky to a 2-3 year deal wherein we get more time to evaluate our two young goalies and that contract is much more moveable than a contract with extended term / money

Given our cap situation I think that's the correct move especially given if Demko for whatever reason doesn't work out you still have De Pietro in the wings who also has potential. The more likely scenario? We ride Marky the rest of the year hopefully ending in the playoffs and he walks in free agency for money / term (good for him in that case). 

Such a difficult scenario, mainly because of the expansion draft.

Markstrom has developed into our man, Demko might, but he isn't as sure of a thing as Markstrom already is, just based on sample size.

I do believe Demko will get there, but if you roll that dice and lose, our newly built team is left without an elite (or close) goalie.

I would be comfortable signing Marky to a 5x5 or 5x6. 

Wouldn't want to go past that,  we might not be able to afford to go past that, I don't have time right now to crunch numbers.

Give Marky his 25 to 30 Million, hopefully that is enough to keep him. 

Give Demko more starts to see what we have, or less if we want to hide him in hopes that Seattle won't take him with a small sample size.

I'm conflicted and go back and forth,  but you sign him and hope it works out in the expansion.

Protecting the strongest goalie at that time, if its close then Demko because of age.

If Markstrom keeps up his play, he’ll be looking for around $6M, long-term. And really, I’d consider giving it to him, provided we don’t need to give him a NMC for the expansion draft.

If Demko continues to excel, we’ll likely want to protect him. And if Seattle takes Markstrom at the end of next season, well, that’s better than losing him for nothing this year AND losing another player at the expansion draft, right?

Goalies don't decline the way players do. Its not uncommon for goalies to play elite well into their late 30s and some even 40s at a high level.

30 is not old for a goaltender. Both goalies fit our core age.

I say we keep markstrom over demko. There will be lots of goalies available in the expansion draft. Vegas managed to get Fleury ffs. I think there will be more enticing goalies for Seattle to choose other than Demko.

In the ED you protect the best goalie and that's Marky. He is definitely part of this core.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Coconuts said:

My heart says Markstrom, my head says Demko. Marky will be 30 pretty quick whereas Demko will be 24 fairly quick. Demko's also closer to the age bracket of our talented youth. Marky's never looked better but Demko's always shown great promise. 

I don't envy JB and co, this won't be an easy decision with expansion looming. 

Understandable...a few things to consider; it’s not always in your twenties when goaltenders have their best years. Thomas and the only other guy then Broduer with over 600 professional wins (about half  in the AHL - but he was one of the best ever regardless).   Thomas was 36-38 when he won all his hardware etc.  

Markstrom was considered one of the best goalie prospects for years..maybe he’s just a late bloomer.  I totally agree this won’t be an easy decision.   As far as the ED draft goes, right now Holtby is viewed as the guy that Seattle will take - so all this worrying about it could be for nothing even if we leave him exposed - his salary and Holtbys is probably not the way they will go (two number ones with over 10 million combined ... pretty steep).

Also he might not be tradeable either - MAF was shopped and there were no takers as other teams arranged their own ED lineups.   That said it makes a lot of sense for Vancouver to re-sign him and then try and trade either him or Demko for the a fair return - either picks or promising young defenseman.  And then hire an experienced vet at a cheap cost.  

It would be awesome if we could keep them both.   The way things are going now the best goalies in the league don’t play much more then 50-55 games....

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

Think the real question is, which goalie can take us to the play offs....or very close to it....

Without play offs after all the wheeling and dealing, we are just another Oilers team, rebuilding the rebuild...

And in that case, Demko gets protected...

Demko is a huge talent, who may become a legit no.1

If Demko can out play Marky in the games he plays, fair play, but doubt management will split the starts 50/50 this season..

Unless Marky folds, I think, he will get the lions share...

Absolutely.   This looks like his time, might as well take advantage of it, the team has been very patient with him and it’s paying big dividends...it’s not like 30 is over the hill either - he could play at this level or better for another 5 years easily ... especially with a quality back-up to relieve him like Demko

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

This is an - 'under the radar' - massive decision. How do you just toss Markstrom aside? He's become so good, he's so important to this team.

Demko has looked good but its a limited role. Unless he looks like 2012-13 Cory Schneider next season, its not an easy decision to let Markstrom go. Long term Marky should be considered 100%. He's been playing at an (arguably) borderline elite level the last year or so. Its unfortunate the expansion draft kind of handcuffs us.

I think its still TBD. I'd use all the time we have to be sure about this.

You don't toss Markstrom.  He is finally living up to his billing all those years ago.  

Luckily we can play out the situation.  Marley continues his stellar play and becomes the goalie.  Depeirto develops well in Utica, Silvos as well.  

Demko becomes a tradeable asset.  We have RFA rights to Demko.  

The last time we have even remotely the same issue, Luongo had his anchor deal and Kesler slept with Schneiders girl and we ended up with Marky and Horvat.  

6 hours ago, Pears said:

I think the most likely scenario is we’ll expose Markstrom, but trade a decent pick/young player to Seattle in exchange they don’t take him. Giving up an asset would hurt a little, but not as much as it would losing Markstrom or Demko for nothing.

That's what I'm hoping to see. Losing one of the two would likely hurt us more at this junction than parting with something. I'm not interested in moving Marky and I'm not interested in giving away Demko to what will be a divisional rival only to see him flourish.

Realistically we don't wanna hand either of our goaltenders to a divisional rival.

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Understandable...a few things to consider; it’s not always in your twenties when goaltenders have their best years. Thomas and the only other guy then Broduer with over 600 professional wins (about half  in the AHL - but he was one of the best ever regardless).   Thomas was 36-38 when he won all his hardware etc.  

Markstrom was considered one of the best goalie prospects for years..maybe he’s just a late bloomer.  I totally agree this won’t be an easy decision.   As far as the ED draft goes, right now Holtby is viewed as the guy that Seattle will take - so all this worrying about it could be for nothing even if we leave him exposed - his salary and Holtbys is probably not the way they will go (two number ones with over 10 million combined ... pretty steep).

Also he might not be tradeable either - MAF was shopped and there were no takers as other teams arranged their own ED lineups.   That said it makes a lot of sense for Vancouver to re-sign him and then try and trade either him or Demko for the a fair return - either picks or promising young defenseman.  And then hire an experienced vet at a cheap cost.  

It would be awesome if we could keep them both.   The way things are going now the best goalies in the league don’t play much more then 50-55 games....

It's hard to know when a goaltender will be at their best, but I'd argue that Thomas was an unusual case. Broduer was well, Brodeur. 

I'd be a little sad to see Holtby leave Washington tbh, but I could see it. Washington got a cup with him, it'd be a tough but acceptable pill to swallow having done that. We could be fretting over nothing, you're right. It's hard to say with Marky too, he could be a late bloomer. 

I'd prefer to trade an asset to Seattle to keep em both, I don't want either Marky or Demko flourishing within the division. You're likely not gonna get fair value for either of them when teams know you're backed into a corner because of the expansion draft. 

• Upvote 3