The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks assign Adam Gaudette to Comets

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, Dombrova22 said:

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if this kid requested a trade. And I wouldn't blame him one bit either. 

I doubt he requests a trade the organization has been good to him so far.

Doesnt matter how well the team plays, someone will find the thorn in the rose bush somewhere.....Gaudette will be back this season whether injuries or an expected trade makes room for him.

Its called depth. Thats how the good teams win Stanley cups.

Detroit had many players in the AHL during their great years that could have been first liners on other teams. Thats how you win  more game, playoff series and cups.

You have to have good players not only in the lineup but good players ready to step in when there are injuries. When we went to the finals in 2011 we had 9 Defense men play that season. They didn't all play all 82 games and all the playoff games.

Having Gaudette, Baertschi, Goldobin playing in Utica and able to be called up when someone goes down is the reason we are going to make the playoffs this year. Also if someone is performing you know they will have someone prepared to take their spot. Like Loui the Press box veteran.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, redhdlois said:

Boo!  Not a fan of this decision.  Sure, yes, he will get a lot of ice time in Utica blah blah blah

However, he just made the team after a great pre-season and GM JB said they would make room for players that earned a spot.  How long did that last?!?   Also disappointed Coach didn’t put him in the lineup opening night .....he deserved it.

Hey Lois,

the team is winning and the PK is tops in the league, (or close to it)

Who are you going to remove from the line up to give Gaudette a chance?

Did you notice the first 4 games went like this:

Sutter 3C  Gaudette Press box

Gaud 3C Sutter 3W

Gaud 3C Sutter 3W

Gaud 3C - Sutter 4W

I am thinking after that 4th game Mr Big Balls goes to the coach and says "put me back at 3C and I'll show you I belong" Or something like that.

Which he has. 

That is preasure from below, and it worked great for lighting a fire under Sutter.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, samurai said:

make the team out of camp, play one game and then eventually get sent down makes sense?   So begs the question did he really make the team?  Or just BS from management.  Seems like that latter.  As far as playing or not playing - yes, it makes sense.  

Makes a lot of sense actually. Where is he going to play currently?  The team has won 6 of their last 7 games with the current line up. Doesn’t it make sense that a young player gets playing time?  His role right now is a fill in 3rd or 4th line center. Fortunately the 2 players in that role are healthy/playing fine. Please tell me what should be done in the current situation.......

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Man, I don't remember a time when the AHL team for the Canucks has been this deep and this talented.  GMJB has done a fantastic job with building depth from the NHL right down through the AHL and junior level prospect ranks.  So glad JB is our GM. 

I do - it was when Schneider played for the Moose 2007-2009....and we all know what happened 4 years after he started...

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Doubt we waive Schaller. Green loves that 4th line as is (and for good reason, they've been killing it and are one of the main reasons for our top PK).

I think it more likely one of Leivo/Virtanen gets traded (and/or packaged) or Eriksson gets waived and Leivo/Virtanen/Ferland can take turns swapping in and out of the lineup.

Rather just send Leivo down/lose him. Virt and Leivo are different. Leivo with the edge in HS, but Virt is a speed demon and fan fav. It's insulting to Jake to have them as either or IMO.

To your first point, pretty cool how we have a money 4th line. 'The Untouchables'

34 minutes ago, lmm said:

its good of you to give yourself a big pat on the back, but who?

And by that I mean who has come through Utica?

Demko, check.

Virtanen, I  guess so.

With Goldy, Baer and Gaudette it looks more like the Canucks are feeding the farm team

Here is our current team

Trade- Draft (no minors) -Draft (no minors)

FA(Ferland)- Draft( nm) -Utica

Trade-Trade-Trade

FA-Fa-Trade

Winnipeg- FA

Draft(nm) -Winnipeg

FA - College FA

Utica

Utica

I guess you can say Utica has been good for our goaltenders

But then you listed  a whole bunch of picks that have never played in Utica

So your position is that the depth was not coming? Utica and Vancouver do not have any depth now? That there must be some huge problem with Utica because players like Petey and Brock and Quinn didn't need to play there? Ok...

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Western Red said:

Rather just send Leivo down/lose him. Virt and Leivo are different. Leivo with the edge in HS, but Virt is a speed demon and fan fav. It's insulting to Jake to have them as either or IMO.

To your first point, pretty cool how we have a money 4th line. 'The Untouchables'

Oh, I'd imagine Leivo is likely on the top of the odd man out list ;)

3 hours ago, John_Guest said:

But imagine how stacked they'll be at center if Schaller can get waived down to Utica when Roussel comes back to the Canucks.

Schaller isn't going anywhere if he continues to play like he has. He is playing like a high end 4th line player and is cheap.  Roussel gets a spot on the 3rd line.  Someone else makes way for Roussel.

Edit: I see that other posters already mentioned this.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

I doubt he requests a trade the organization has been good to him so far.

Doesnt matter how well the team plays, someone will find the thorn in the rose bush somewhere.....Gaudette will be back this season whether injuries or an expected trade makes room for him.

Its called depth. Thats how the good teams win Stanley cups.

Detroit had many players in the AHL during their great years that could have been first liners on other teams. Thats how you win  more game, playoff series and cups.

You have to have good players not only in the lineup but good players ready to step in when there are injuries. When we went to the finals in 2011 we had 9 Defense men play that season. They didn't all play all 82 games and all the playoff games.

Having Gaudette, Baertschi, Goldobin playing in Utica and able to be called up when someone goes down is the reason we are going to make the playoffs this year. Also if someone is performing you know they will have someone prepared to take their spot. Like Loui the Press box veteran.

Good post!!

Someone actually says they think Gaud requested a trade?  Haha...good god...how idiotic.  Some people are borderline moronic....without the borderline  ::D

• Wat 1

5 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

So did the 18 skaters who have been playing. The reason he hasn't been playing is because our increased depth and size has dramatically reduced injuries so far. So which of Petey, Bo, Sutter or Beagle should be sitting out so Gaudette can play?

Well he did a good enough job in preseason to stay so why not play him? Makes no sense when JB says he'll make room for anyone who earns a spot right? Im sure JB is using Sutter to boost his trade value so her can be moved maybe with Stretcher for draft picks or another top 6 winger. Gaudette is part of our future and Sutter is not

5 hours ago, Baggins said:

He got 3 games. Then Motte slotted in and took his spot. Motte has not only played well, he's been excellent on the pk. It happens and life marches on. When you have depth the coach has options.

I get the options arguement and I understand the depth we have that we have never seen on this team before, but Gaudette deserved 9 games and if he didn't fit in or produce then theres a reason to send him down but 3 games and press box time after the preseason he had and considering we have had a hard time scoring for the most part, I'm just sayin

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Good post!!

Someone actually says they think Gaud requested a trade?  Haha...good god...how idiotic.  Some people are borderline moronic....without the borderline  ::D

Everyone has their favorite player or players. I understand the frustration if the team is losing but they are 6-1 in their last 7 games and moving up the standings. Gaudette is a young player and will get his chances to play. We all hope the team stays relatively healthy this season ... but it doesnt always happen.

AG could get called up this week or who knows. That's why we wanted depth at each position.Now that we have it some are not happy with what that means for their favorite young player. I get it.

Having a player as good as Gaudette or Baertschi or Goldobin in the minors means this team is better than it has been, deeper than it has been and having more success. This is what we have been missing for a few years. Good times ahead.

Edited by mikeyman109
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

At some point, we are going to get injuries. (Surprised we haven't yet tbh). When that happens, we will have room for Gaudette and others (like Baer) to play. 

Until then, Green likes what he sees with the current lineup and I can't blame him. Better to have Gaudette kicking butt in the A than sitting in the pressbox.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, kloubek said:

At some point, we are going to get injuries. (Surprised we haven't yet tbh). When that happens, we will have room for Gaudette and others (like Baer) to play. 

Until then, Green likes what he sees with the current lineup and I can't blame him. Better to have Gaudette kicking butt in the A than sitting in the pressbox.

I hope we stay healthy. It'll help us and Utica get ahead and gain confidence.

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

I hope we stay healthy. It'll help us and Utica get ahead and gain confidence.

Well me too - but we would be kidding ourselves if we actually expected that to happen. Our annual history combined with Green's all-out playing style expectations pretty much assures we will see injuries soon.

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

So your position is that the depth was not coming? Utica and Vancouver do not have any depth now? That there must be some huge problem with Utica because players like Petey and Brock and Quinn didn't need to play there? Ok...

Well it started a few pages back when Theo made a comment about utica. My sarcasmeter flared.

Then aGent gloated about being a broken record prognosticating upcoming depth and asking rhetorically "who?"

So, "who" from Utica currently on the team are Jake Jacob and Thatch   

Meanwhile we have depth because Jim signed Schaller, Beagel, Myers, Ferland, Fanta, Benn and traded for Pearson, Leivo, Miller and Motte.

These moves have pushed Goldy, Baer, Gaud and possibly soon Ericksson down into depth positions.

My points

1 aGent is blowing hard. Or is that blow harding?

2 Our depth is filtering down not up

3 Naming a bunch of picks is gunjumping because I am still waiting for White, Schroeder, Shrinkwrap, Rahimi and Ellington to show up.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

Adam is an NHL player on a lot of teams, that's certainly true.  However, we are now becoming a top team, so we are going to have NHL players on our farm team, and sitting in our press box up here.  That's why good teams get through injuries, and still stay decent, and make the playoffs.  

I don't think it's wise to trade away our depth, especially a guy as good as Hockey Gaud who is so young.  

Let’s wait until we make the playoffs before we start with this rhetoric. 

I don’t care about popular opinions. Gaudette doesn’t deserve to go down. Waiver exemption is the only reason it’s him in Utica and not Virtanen. 

He wasn't going to get to play due to the fact you don't mess with a winning lineup.  Sending him down to play big minutes with Baer (who he has chemistry with) and Goldy isn't going to hurt his development.  He'll be back, and he'll be a better player when he does come back.  Gaud isn't going to request a trade; he is one injury away from being back up here and a regular in our lineup.

• Cheers 2