The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Dallas Stars at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 14, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Green is deflecting and trying to be unreactive to avoid any drama with the local media...

Maybe, but it's a fair assessment. No one worth calling out that played that poorly and no one stood out enough to single out to praise.

1 hour ago, Adarsh Sant said:

We could barely complete a pass what the hell is Green talking about

The timing of the line changes is also atrocious. I've never seen a team voluntarily give up puck possession so many times a game, night in and night out. Well coached teams might do it 2-3 times a game, we seem to do it 20-30. Hard to win a hockey game that way.

• Upvote 1

Green just needs to put Boeser with Horvat and make the lines like this:

Pearson Petterson Miller

Boeser Horvat Virtanen

Baertchi Gaudette Leivo

4th Line.

I guarantee that if Green puts this line on the ice vs Avalanche on Saturday, Miller will score and Boeser will score on 5 on 5 and they will dominate the Avs.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"I'm not going to over-analyze the powerplay every night. We've got a good powerplay. They're gonna have some nights when they look good, and I mean... there's a reason why 25% is good, and it means you only score one out of four." - Green on the PP

Watching the Lightning-Rangers game earlier and seeing how Tampa moved the puck to open up the lane just made me so jealous.

39 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I have been discouraged during the losing streak and have not really felt like commenting on games but I have few comments tonight.

1. I agree with the people who think Marky should have been rested. Given what he has just been through he should get a few days off. No matter what anyone says about him wanting to play or about hockey players being tough, there is no way his head is 100% in the game right now, and it showed. And why isn't he headed back to Sweden for the funeral? I think this is a significant coaching mistake. And Demko has been great. There was no reason to keep Demko on the bench tonight. 

2. Agree about the energy level problem. I have kind of avoided recent Loui bashing -- it is too repetitive and too easy. But I can't resist in the context of energy. He actually seems to have negative energy. Kind of like a black hole for energy. It must be a negative for the team just having on the bench. Yes, he did not play much tonight, but your 4th liners needs to provide positive energy and he is just not doing that job. And with 0 pts in 10 games it is hard to make excuses for him. Admittedly, with the injury problems it is hard to find guys to play but I would go with MacEwan. Green is complaining about "heavy" teams. Zack is heavy.

3. I don't get the Edler bashing. He is a rock on the PK and is a rock playing shutdown. He is the one guy our D cannot afford to lose. But i have some reservations about Myers. He is pretty good and, along with Hughes and Benn, is part of a big upgrade on the D this year. But I think he was at fault on the first Dallas goal tonight and, in general, I think it is a stretch for him him to play a top pairing role. I would be inclined to put Tanev back with the Edler as the primary shutdown pairing. 

4. I would also be inclined to put Miller, Boeser, and Boeser back together as the top line. In general you get the most out of your most talented players by playing them with other talented players. That is probably the first sentence of the official "book" on hockey strategy, and there is a good reason for it. 

5. Despite all the complaining by me and others, the Canucks played a decent game tonight. They outshot and outchanced Dallas and with equal goaltending probably would have won that game. 

Totally agree about Edler...

if anything he is perhaps being over used as the other defenders are nowhere as good as he is. 
Myers has been good at joining the play in the offensive zone, but we seem to get caught on the break quite often with Myers deep in the O-Zone. 
i have always liked Tanev with Edler and think its our best pairing, but I wouldn’t really like Myers with Hughes as both have their forte in joining the rush...

Not sure how much negative energy Erksson brings, but he doesn’t bring much at all, and if the coach isn’t gonna play a veteran more than 6-10 min each game, and he doesn’t jump at each play, then better put some heavy crash and bang players on the ice...

Too bad Beagle got injured cause the 4th line have been doing really well... would also like to see MacEwan On there instead of Eriksson. 
I’m starting to think they are trying to force Eriksson to ask for a trade or retire, as nobody want to sit on the bench this much. 

Finally, yes the last couple of weeks have been tough, but they are still ok. 
Hopefully they can pick it up again soon. 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, ey40 said:

Watching the Lightning-Rangers game earlier and seeing how Tampa moved the puck to open up the lane just made me so jealous.

Sure helps to have the likes of Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, Hedman, etc running the show. We have some decent young players, but they are not equivalent. TB is simply are ahead of where we would like to get to at some point hopefully within the next couple of years.

No one was jealous when they got swept in the 1st round last year. We will see if they can sustain their style of play once the going gets tough again. The Rangers aren't exactly a benchmark team. Also Dallas has adopted a trap style game which clearly teams haven't been able to solve just yet with the streak of theirs of late.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, JamesB said:

3. I don't get the Edler bashing. He is a rock on the PK and is a rock playing shutdown. He is the one guy our D cannot afford to lose. But i have some reservations about Myers. He is pretty good and, along with Hughes and Benn, is part of a big upgrade on the D this year. But I think he was at fault on the first Dallas goal tonight and, in general, I think it is a stretch for him him to play a top pairing role. I would be inclined to put Tanev back with the Edler as the primary shutdown pairing. 

Your insights are always worth a gander..but I'd almost guarantee hard checks(1 gets taken out) within a period. Need Tryamkin on the line. Hopefully sell Tanev near TDL(+ prospect?) & try to retrieve that 1st back.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"I'm not going to over-analyze the powerplay every night. We've got a good powerplay. They're gonna have some nights when they look good, and I mean... there's a reason why 25% is good, and it means you only score one out of four." - Green on the PP

Scoring a bucket of PP goals against one team every 9 games isn't good. Consistent 17% is "good". Wildly inconsistent stat padding where you go 4-5 in a runaway game is not.

Maybe analyze the powerplay "one night". Though I suppose he's not gonna throw his assistant under the bus either.

37 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Backup goalie vs Canucks equal win. Dating back theast 4-5 season backup goalies and fringe starters have won more than 80% of the games against us with insane goals against and shutouts lol

I wondered about that.  I didn't know the stats, but I always get a feeling of dread when we play a team in a back to back who played their starter the previous night and puts their backup in against us.  It's amazing how often the backup stones us!

Bo's out there killing penalties don't expect him to be fresh enough to generate any scoring chances.

Green's coaching is like beating a dead horse. Yeah you change the lines up but the strategy is the exact same. 

This is &^@#ing pathetic. Is no one else tired of seeing our supporting cast carry the play 80% of the time? I must be &^@#ed in the head for thinking that if Pettersson and Boeser (& hughes, Horvat, miller) are on the ice, the puck shouldn't be on anyone elses stick for too long.

Scrub coach that has a job solely because of Bennings drafting. Go out there and coach the club instead of &^@#ing with the lines. 

No, let me do your job for you. This is your Jack Adams winning strategy right here : "Hey boys get the puck to our stars as SOON as possible and let them generate a scoring chance"

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I'm sure Markstrom will eventually pull out of this, but right now it feels like Green should be playing Demko every night if his priority is on winning.

Markstrom is an Elite goaltender. Stop trolling.

Hows uncle bob doing? That 10 milli elite starter?

Edited by Johnny Torts

8 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I wondered about that.  I didn't know the stats, but I always get a feeling of dread when we play a team in a back to back who played their starter the previous night and puts their backup in against us.  It's amazing how often the backup stones us!

I dunno I kinda think this have to do with coaching and not doing their homework on backup goalies tendency. I mean every backup goalie have atrocious gaa and sv% but whenever they play us they are godlike.. and its definitely not because we lack skills.

8 minutes ago, Johnny Torts said:

Markstrom is an Elite goaltender. Stop trolling.

Hows uncle bob doing? That 10 milli elite starter?

Yup. Markstrom played well tonight. He's played fine recently. The team has had no chemistry recently, and everyone is playing worse in front of him. We're not creating high level chances while we're conceding high level chances on our end.

Markstrom is a legitimate top ten goalie in this league. The rest of the roster composition is the issue. 

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Johnny Torts said:

Bo's out there killing penalties don't expect him to be fresh enough to generate any scoring chances.

Green's coaching is like beating a dead horse. Yeah you change the lines up but the strategy is the exact same. 

This is &^@#ing pathetic. Is no one else tired of seeing our supporting cast carry the play 80% of the time? I must be &^@#ed in the head for thinking that if Pettersson and Boeser (& hughes, Horvat, miller) are on the ice, the puck shouldn't be on anyone elses stick for too long.

Scrub coach that has a job solely because of Bennings drafting. Go out there and coach the club instead of &^@#ing with the lines. 

No, let me do your job for you. This is your Jack Adams winning strategy right here : "Hey boys get the puck to our stars as SOON as possible and let them generate a scoring chance"

His strategy is to be in the best shape possible. I like Green, but I think he should have been an assistant before he became a head coach. I'm yet to see him out coach any team. I hope he learns to do some mid game adjustments to get the most out of his players. 

• Upvote 1