The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

16 hours ago, kacholu said:

Several players already come and said that he never apologized about it. So for him to say that he did is simply a lie. Does not look good in my eyes. 

It happened 10 years ago.  People's ability to accurate recall something even after a few hours drops dramatically. This is why you need to have statute of limitations on crimes and so forth. And what happens is that as memories fade people tend to believe even stronger that their view is correct.  I am not saying either way.  Just simply the mind is unreliable after that period of time.  And people don't like to admit it.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Toews said:

Aliu stood up to hazing at age 16, proceeded to get cross checked in the teeth and had a fight with an 18 year old Steve Downie. For speaking out, he was labeled a "problem".

There are a lot of people on twitter and other platforms accusing Carcillo for "looking for attention". Carcillo has felt the way he does for a long time. This is from one of Carcillo's former teammates Rich Clune.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/rich-clune-hockey-nhl

I believe Carcillo is sincere in his attempts to root out abuse from the game. I applaud his efforts.

Sure but trying to shame people on Twitter (Crawford) is just another type of bullying and intimidation.  It's cultural revolution stuff.  

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

@bishopshodan

my grandmother(s) are both mid 90’s, and maybe i was off by a few years, but i think you are missing the point. 

Racism is bad. Its not about that. 

Its about the precedent of someone being able to completely destroy a persons life with a few tweets and “twatter likes”. Years after the fact, with little to no proof or context mind you. 

(Im not talking about the peters thing. I didnt read it. I dont care. Ive never met the guy. I prefer my own judgement and experiences over someone elses.) 

Karma is a mofo, and i believe everyone gets theirs. I also believe I am not fit to dish out bad karma, so to speak. Its highly subjective and situational. 

I found Chris Rocks “Tambourine” extremely racist towards white people. In it he says “I teach my kids to be afraid of White people.”

All i had to do was envision myself saying “I teach my son to be afraid of Black people.”,  to thunderous applause and laughter to realize, the problem is deeper than we can possibly understand. 

This is not the way to heal the world. Far friggen from it. 

Didn't mean to tease you about Gran. Just found it a bit funny. I got your point.

I haven't followed the Peters thing much either and don't know how much 'proof' is out there, I haven't seen the Chris Rock Special, I don't use Twatter. 

I agree with you overall sentiment. 

Still, if someone wrongs me, or my loved ones...I don't care about a time limit. 

That said, I believe in forgiveness. If someone apologises genuinely and evolves form it. Time to move on. 

• Cheers 2

there is a famous book called the Civilizing Process which looks the slow evolution of it in the west, from views about basic manners to violence.  This theme is carried on in Pinter's book Better Angels of our Nature.  The latter references the former a lot.   Basically, the trends show that humans are over time becoming more civilized so to speak.  The former book is a masterpiece in research and writing.

What we are seeing now starting with 'me too' or even earlier with the pc movement in the 90s is that a lot of the things that were deemed acceptable in the 80s and 90s or at least looked over are now amoral or criminal.   I look back at my life growing up in the 70s and 80s and into the 90s and can be quite amazed at how loose things were.  Students in my day could smoke at junior high school.  My nephew told me that he has never seen a fist fight at school - he is in grade 11.

Besides younger generations calling out those older standards/customs there is another stream to it.  As appears to be in the case of Akim there seems to be a mindset that their failures are due to external variables and not their own, and that everyone should be entitled to success.  Again there is a well known book on this called ' Everyone wins'.   The younger generations seem to think that winning or being successful in the fame and fortune game is a right and any thing short of this is some kind of social injustice.  I have seen this many times.   Social justice in the west now seems to apply now to being successful at a celebrity level.  It has also been demonstrated that younger generations seem to see themselves as victims  more so than other generations.  Years ago I read a paper that looked at essays students had to write as part of their entrance test requirements for entering a prestigious university in the States.  The paper looked at the fact that an alarmingly number of the topics in the essay focused on victimization experiences.

What has of course magnified all of this is social media.

38 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Dan deleted this tweet. Wonder why. What was the picture?

The one I saw was of a group of kids in dresses. Their eyes were blocked out but possibly still revealed their identities. 

I appreciate what Carcillo is trying to do... but he also isn't the most thoughtful/patient guy in the world and sometimes jumps the gun on things. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, samurai said:

Being a victim is how many people now cope with reality. 

This is simply an attempt to prevent more people from being victimized by this scumbag.  Peters has no one to blame for anything that happens to him but himself.  Hopefully he didn't save a lot of money so he has to try to find a real job and gets a harsh taste of reality when no one wants to hire this waste of oxygen. 

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

I appreciate what Carcillo is trying to do... but he also isn't the most thoughtful/patient guy in the world and sometimes jumps the gun on things. 

Absolutely.

I have nothing against the guy, but I just have a hard time when guys seem to just tweet without really taking a break, and then end it with, “More to come.” 

26 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

This is simply an attempt to prevent more people from being victimized by this scumbag.  Peters has no one to blame for anything that happens to him but himself.  Hopefully he didn't save a lot of money so he has to try to find a real job and gets a harsh taste of reality when no one wants to hire this waste of oxygen. 

anger management classes for you.