The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

Just now, Squamfan said:

it that not his job to ask questions? i mean these are serious allegations. 

But it’s his dad, not him.

Growing up and well into my adulthood, my father owned and was CEO of a very large organization (2000+ employees at its peak). 2 times, ex employees who used to work in the company came up to me (this was in the last 10 years) about the way my father treated them. My response? “Talk to him about it.”

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

it that not his job to ask questions? i mean these are serious allegations. 

I would hope any reporter ask Sutter about that would be fired.

When it comes to being a hardass, I think people need to take historical context into consideration.  Literally 95% of the coaches back then were that way.........racism and sexual assault are inexcusable

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

My coach in bantam dropped hints about taking sudafed. He was my friends Dad and when talking about old memories a few years ago (I'm 32) it came up and he wished he hadn't said anything about sudafed... but that's what a lot of people in his era did. It was probably wrong of him at the time, but it wasn't really too frowned upon during the days he played. No way that I'd hold anything like that against him.

There are certain things that are wrong across time/context/culture. What Sutter allegedly did sounds bad, and maybe he should apologize, but I don't think that what he said was particularly unique at the time. Hopefully things have changed. 

Things have changed, for the most part, and they changed overnight with Sheldon kennedy.  I was coaching at the time and it was immediate.  I was a player through the worst of it, in the 80's and it was bad..........it was a profession that housed a lot of predators in various forms.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Monty said:

And again, this is where things continue to get muddled. Now again, I can’t state enough that I don’t side with Peters when using “that word”.

However, in his initial statement, Aliu said that Peters never apologized. Now, Aliu is saying that the statement was, “misleading, insincere, and concerning.” Misleading and concerning, sure. Insincere? Well, that’s on him if he believes it’s insincere. However, it is also “misleading” to say in his initial statement that Peters never apologized, and he wouldn’t have brought it up had he done so initially. Well, now we’re hearing different.

So, while Aliu might be 100% correct in his response now that Peters is “misleading” in his statement, unfortunately Aliu was also misleading in his initial statement, which unfortunately, doesn’t help.

I think he was referring to the statement that Peters issued last night. 

4 hours ago, Ur a Towel said:

Usually the people that have a problem with calling others out when it comes to something like this are ones that do it themselves but won't admit to it.

All that I’m saying is that any screw up that anyone has made in the last 30 years deserves to come to light. I think everyone should be held accountable and punished today. It’s impossible for people to change. 

• Wat 1

19 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

All that I’m saying is that any screw up that anyone has made in the last 30 years deserves to come to light. I think everyone should be held accountable and punished today. It’s impossible for people to change. 

There have been numerous coaches on record talking about changing their style, including Hitchcock, Torts, and Maurice.

Blake Wheeler a few years ago approached Maurice about being only hard on guys and so Maurice changed his style. He didn't stop being hard on people, but he also started being treating them nicely instead of being an asshole 24/7.

@bishopshodan

my grandmother(s) are both mid 90’s, and maybe i was off by a few years, but i think you are missing the point. 

Racism is bad. Its not about that. 

Its about the precedent of someone being able to completely destroy a persons life with a few tweets and “twatter likes”. Years after the fact, with little to no proof or context mind you. 

(Im not talking about the peters thing. I didnt read it. I dont care. Ive never met the guy. I prefer my own judgement and experiences over someone elses.) 

Karma is a mofo, and i believe everyone gets theirs. I also believe I am not fit to dish out bad karma, so to speak. Its highly subjective and situational. 

I found Chris Rocks “Tambourine” extremely racist towards white people. In it he says “I teach my kids to be afraid of White people.”

All i had to do was envision myself saying “I teach my son to be afraid of Black people.”,  to thunderous applause and laughter to realize, the problem is deeper than we can possibly understand. 

This is not the way to heal the world. Far friggen from it. 

• Cheers 3