The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let's all take a step back and look how far the team has come along.

Rate this topic

ruilin96

9 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

Myers has been in the league for years and still crashes into our own players on the regular like he forgot who to body check. The power play still does the same ridiculous pass back to enter the O-zone almost every single time. Its not our young players inconsistencies that has me freaking out.

But good post and very true. We are much improved. But that is because we have a really stellar line up now. We have a playoff caliber lineup. I really liked Green as coach, but something has to give here. In the end these guys are professionals. I cant pin point what the problem is .... hmmm . Coaching?  I still get that vision of Myers crashing into Miller below the goal line in 3v3 OT.. and Bo also being below the goal line .. I guess you cant coach that vision ...

People keep complaining about this and it's so tiring because the drop pass has been proven to be an effective way to enter the zone on the power play. ffs we're 4th in the league on the power play.

• Upvote 1

The fanbase being negative is something that ebbs and flows. I would rather have 1000 angry fans, then

100 angry fans. If the fans are angry then atleast they are watching. In the years past no one was even

watching. I think what has happened this year with the amazing start we had, I think the sentiment was,

"Is it ok to watch now?". Just when we finish that amazing 10 game w/o a loss in regulation or whatever

the streak was we go on a 10 game losing streak, so you have the fanbase starting to wake up and

then we slide right away.

Its tough sometimes watching this team, they lose in pretty terrible fashion and it makes it hard. The loss

in Anaheim where Marky got scored on the 3-0 rush. The losses to Dallas, the loss last night. I understand

the core message OP its just that this team is hard to love sometimes. Dont mistake fans venting for 

losing faith in the team the bandwagon just got full again so were going to hear a bit of moaning.

Edited by Shirotashi

The D was suspect, Stecher was on the ice for some of those late goals and I think they'll eventually need to move on from him. Maybe once Tryamkin returns and Juolevi gets healthy and starts his career. Demko had to be better too. I was all smiles when it was 6-3, but something in the back of my brain told me "this isn't over yet". Shocked that the Pens actually came back, almost comical. It was one of those "you've got to be F'n kidding me" moments.  

• Upvote 1

The negativity on these boards has become toxic. I can barely come on here anymore with on the negativity stank leaching onto me. I enjoy watching the games along with the forum but it isn’t worth it to me anymore to be around the negative people. I probably will still be around because I am addicted to the forum but I am definitely going to try to distance myself from it.

• Upvote 2

One thing that always surprises me is just how inflated some of these stats are from the powerplay absolutely preying on weak teams. Without like 4 games, statistically we'd look horrendous in a lot of areas. I'm in absolute shock that Bo has more than ten points. He's been better lately but his game has been absolutely dreadful this year and lacks the intensity that it did in years past. 

Look,this team should make the playoffs at least,anything less is instant fail and another year off the contracts of the talent.Short of key injuries they should not be this undisciplined and losing games in such a sloppy fashion.The GM should override Green now but he continues to sit back.Someone is rotting this team and needs to be driven out mercilessly.

11 minutes ago, taskicon said:

The negativity on these boards has become toxic. I can barely come on here anymore with on the negativity stank leaching onto me. I enjoy watching the games along with the forum but it isn’t worth it to me anymore to be around the negative people. I probably will still be around because I am addicted to the forum but I am definitely going to try to distance myself from it.

Has become? It's been toxic since the very get go haha. The only difference is that the team has been losing more. It's like every forum of every hockey team, up on the ups and down on the downs. 

I don't really see how big this team improved on years past. We are around the same in terms of goals scored to date in previous years and its only coz we had a few 5+ goals games.. we either score in bunches in thr same game..  or we dont score st all.. We are going thru the same exact November free fall of years past. We are going thru the same with injury prone players being on the shelf.. just a matter of time before tanev and edler joins them. Secondary scoring is still non existent, defense scoring is non existent minus Hughes. 

2 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Has become? It's been toxic since the very get go haha. The only difference is that the team has been losing more. It's like every forum of every hockey team, up on the ups and down on the downs. 

Ya you are right but I guess it was easier to ignore a few years ago. Now I am excited to watch the games win or lose and the negativity stands out more maybe.

Just now, taskicon said:

Ya you are right but I guess it was easier to ignore a few years ago. Now I am excited to watch the games win or lose and the negativity stands out more maybe.

Yeah that's just cumulative frustration from a lack of change. We've been watching much of the same hockey for the last 5 years. 

12 minutes ago, taskicon said:

The negativity

My wife says I'm too negative as well when I watch Canucks games. She's always looking at the bright side, even when the Canucks blew it and had 8 scored aganst them, she pointed out that Hughes got 3 points and Pettersson scored, etc. Goals are good and all, but it's tough for me to find much positivity with how they lost. Losses don't bother her at all, because she's not as emotionally invested in this team as I am. She could care less if they make the playoffs, she just likes watching Canucks hockey, win or lose. Maybe I really do need to step back. Their BS ways of losing is starting to affect my health lol   

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

My wife says I'm too negative as well when I watch Canucks games. She's always looking at the bright side, even when the Canucks blew it and had 8 scored aganst them, she pointed out that Hughes got 3 points and Pettersson scored, etc. Goals are good and all, but it's tough for me to find much positivity with how they lost. Losses don't bother her at all, because she's not as emotionally invested in this team as I am. She could care less if they make the playoffs, she just likes watching Canucks hockey, win or lose. Maybe I really do need to step back. Their BS ways of losing is starting to affect my health lol   

It can be a rollercoaster watching this team play this season. I find the inconsistency the most maddening aspect of the team's play these days. They go from world-beaters to beaten within the span of a couple of games.

I think your wife may just have a less invested approach to the team than you do, as you're aware how each game affects the team's position in the standings. You, much like myself, want this team to succeed and win the ultimate prize. We want to see them passing around the Stanley Cup and taking a skate with it. That's the goal.

That being said, compartmentalizing your fandom can be a healthy way to go about things. I used to get really worked up about the team to the point where I was doing drywall work to deal with the aftermath of a loss. :lol:

Nowadays, I let it go after the fact and move on to something else. There's no need to let the team's performance (or lack thereof) to have an adverse effect on your health, NUCKER.  

• Like 1

We scored 5 goals at 5v5 last night against Pits on the road.  I like these things!

Hughes had 3 assists in 5v5.  I like these things!

Adam Gaudette scored 2 goals.  I like these things!

The team is going to have to learn how to protect a lead.  I’d rather they learn it now, in November, than in a late season playoff push or worse, in the first round of the playoffs.  I hope the loss stung the players and they focus on what it takes to play even harder when they have a lead.  They are learning what it takes to win games in every type of situation.  They are still a young team.

The drop pass for the power play has been adopted by every team in the league because it is a good way to gain entry.  Add another couple ways to gain entry and the power play will be very tough to stop.

I’ve noticed the ‘Flying V’ entry for the power play.  I’ve seen it work a few times now.  The puck handler starts with the puck and has two options on either side up ahead of him in a ‘V’ formation (reverse Mighty Ducks :lol:).  
I really like watching Hughes just take the puck from our end into the opposing teams end.  What a treat watching a skater like Hughes.  
That is 3 legitimate options on the power play that will cause Opposing teams stress.

I also like the second power play just bullying their way into the zone.

I’ve watched the team play defensive, hard working hockey for years.  Watching the high-skill level now is truly enjoyable.

The dominant years of the Sedin twins also began with the team learning how to win in all types of games.  I remember Vigneault taking heat because he wasn’t using an offensive system and he replied that he didn’t have enough offensive players.  Then in 2008-09, the style of play changed and the team started playing offensive hockey.  They lost some games when they had the lead.  They had to learn how to play with a large lead.  Our team now needs to learn the same thing.  

They are young, talented and determined to win.  They are learning, as a team, what it’s going to take to win night in and night out, on the road and in back-to-back games, through an entire 82 game season.

I like these things!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Duodenum said:

Maybe, I don't think the Canucks have the cap space to improve the team any further so we'd basically be relying on our young players to be the difference. 

After this year, we may see Eriksson gone and a few other contracts out.  Seattle much like Vegas can be bought and GMs are going to be FAR cagier about what they give up after seeing what happened in Vegas.

Less vets mean more kids.  The kids we've drafted and developed over the last 3 years which is precisely what this team and organization needs.

It's all a waiting game for our kids to develop.  The way contracts are currently staggered as well shows that there has been attention paid to who will be paid and when.  Honestly.  This year I am hoping we miss the playoffs but make it exciting for that one last high to mid pick before taking the league apart next year.

This is the exact statement I've made for the last 3 years and I stand by it

Positives:

Hughes (sky is the limit)

Pettersson (sky is the limit)

Miller (career year, leading goal scorer, veteran presence)

Gaudette (No way they can send him back to Utica now)

Virtanen (yes, I think he's on the right track)

Myers and Benn (I believe they are a big upgrade from last year, even though they still make the occasional mistake)

Markstrom/Demko (even though they can play poorly at times)

Ferland, Sutter and Roussel returning

The season is only a quarter way through

They might get Tryamkin and Juolevi later in the season

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

If you think your life is going to be happier after the Canucks win the Stanley Cup you are in for a world of pain. It will be exciting and happy in the moment but on Monday you will be back working the same job coming home to the same pace doing the same routine. Then the next year the Canucks start back at 0 points. You have to choose to be grateful and happy despite anything going on around you. It’s hard but worth it.