The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let's all take a step back and look how far the team has come along.

Rate this topic

ruilin96

lol huh? ^^

I think if the Canucks won the Cup, we would feel like we're finally worthy, after 50 years. Never having to hear "you've never won a Cup" again. Then seeing that accomplishment (banner) every time we enter Roges Arena, a reminder that we were champions, finally. Not sure where the world of pain comes from. Maybe from trying to buy all of the Championship merch before it's sold out :)

3 hours ago, Duodenum said:

70% of the players are the same as last year so when I see the same guys standing around not moving their feet just like year's past, yea I can make that comparison very easily. As I've already said, I'm starting to lose faith because a lot of the same problems are still around. I haven't stated that the team sucks and they are definitely better than last year due to the advancement of our young guys and Miller so maybe save the lecture for somebody who needs it Deb. Canucks are 5-6-3 in November which is an improvement actually. Unfortunately, a lot of the same problems are also present and haven't been improved on at all. Systems and lazy play being two big ones. 

So what was the 4 years ago stuff?  You're changing it now?  "A" year is hardly enough time to go from zeroes to heroes, don't you think?

My lecture was providing facts in relation to that timeline you'd presented.  And you've done nothing to address them.

And also...scoring was a problem and they've fixed that.  Speed was.  Fixed.

Rah Rah Rah is likely better than blah blah blah same ol 4 years grumblegrumblegrumble

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

My wife says I'm too negative as well when I watch Canucks games. She's always looking at the bright side, even when the Canucks blew it and had 8 scored aganst them, she pointed out that Hughes got 3 points and Pettersson scored, etc. Goals are good and all, but it's tough for me to find much positivity with how they lost. Losses don't bother her at all, because she's not as emotionally invested in this team as I am. She could care less if they make the playoffs, she just likes watching Canucks hockey, win or lose. Maybe I really do need to step back. Their BS ways of losing is starting to affect my health lol   

29 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It can be a rollercoaster watching this team play this season. I find the inconsistency the most maddening aspect of the team's play these days. They go from world-beaters to beaten within the span of a couple of games.

I think your wife may just have a less invested approach to the team than you do, as you're aware how each game affects the team's position in the standings. You, much like myself, want this team to succeed and win the ultimate prize. We want to see them passing around the Stanley Cup and taking a skate with it. That's the goal.

That being said, compartmentalizing your fandom can be a healthy way to go about things. I used to get really worked up about the team to the point where I was doing drywall work to deal with the aftermath of a loss. :lol:

Nowadays, I let it go after the fact and move on to something else. There's no need to let the team's performance (or lack thereof) to have an adverse effect on your health, NUCKER.  

At the end of the day, you're living vicariously through the accomplishments and failures of other men. It's extremely unhealthy to be too invested. I was there too. Celebrate the wins, enjoy the goals, but it's really important not to get too invested into sport.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

So what was the 4 years ago stuff?  You're changing it now?  "A" year is hardly enough time to go from zeroes to heroes, don't you think?

My lecture was providing facts in relation to that timeline you'd presented.  And you've done nothing to address them.

Rah Rah Rah is likely better than blah blah blah same ol 4 years grumblegrumblegrumble

More-so the same rah rah posts we've seen here for the last 4 years, especially those from the same posters. 

Some people get so worked up over every little criticism of the team. 

Fact is they've dropped in November, like they have repeatedly before. They don't want to be compared to the previous years? Don't do the same shiz. 

Edited by Duodenum

6 hours ago, Duodenum said:

People are losing faith again this year due to a run of really poor play over pretty much the entire month of November minus a couple games. Injuries mounted up once again as well and have exposed our poor winger depth. 

It's been the same storybook for years. The same rah rah posts have been made every year the past 4 years around this time when the team starts to free-fall down the standings. 

If the Canucks want to show how much they've changed, then do it on the ice. The way they've been manhandled recently, I'm starting to lose faith myself. 

Haha this is a really controversial post apparently :lol:

What did you expect.  If your going to lose faith that easily maybe pick a different team.  Old timers have suffered a lot more then this season - one of our better ones factually.  Maybe you have a blockage.   That little part of the intestine after the stomach can be a b!tch.

4 hours ago, Stelar said:

Every team has injuries. Can we stop with this silliness. We just lost to a team that is missing one of the best player in the game right now. And look at those names who are out. Just stop. 

You're right, every team has injuries... But remember, injuries are a double sided coin... it's 1 side to lose a player, the other side is "who is replacing them"

Yes, Pens lost Crosby, but they have some strong guys able to step in and fill his roll, sort of.

Who is stepping in to fill Ferlands aggressive roll? No one

Who is stepping in to fill Beagles Pk shut down roll? No one

Who is stepping in to fill Sutters pk shut down roll? Gaudette, but lacking defensive prowess and faceoffs

Who is stepping in to fill Roussels agitator roll? No one

Who is stepping in to fill Motte's energy roll? Give you a hint, it's not Erickson.... its no one

So yes, other teams have injuries, but the Canucks injuries are felt double hard because (Warning sweet rhyme coming) we only have bodies to fill holes... not rolls. 

• Upvote 1

Nothing wrong with the message of the OP.  I’m sure JB has a more even keel then the CDC too.  It’s a young team still trying to get the ropes.  When the vets he’s being criticized for signing aren’t around things go a little hay-wire.   Go figure.   Not worried one bit.   Three Calder candidates in a row.    Won’t be four but wont complain (when has that ever happened?)...to ANY franchise.  Chill pill dispensary should be mandatory at this point. 

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

What did you expect.  If your going to lose faith that easily maybe pick a different team.  Old timers have suffered a lot more then this season - one of our better ones factually.  Maybe you have a blockage.   That little part of the intestine after the stomach can be a b!tch.

Been a fan since the 90s Batch, starting to lose faith in this current group doesn't mean jumping ship. I didn't have any faith to begin with the last two years. Low expectations were met. Had higher ones this year so I'm more critical of the team with their play having nosedived in November compared to October. 

Let's not start gatekeeping now about what a true fan is or wherever you were going with this. 

It's ok to say the team isn't doing well. This isn't an echo chamber. The Dallas game was terrible, Philly too. Gave up a 3 goal lead to Pitts. They want faith, show some commitment to the details and move your legs like they were doing in October. I'm well past having blind faith, I trust what I see and what I see isn't good right now. I'm not the only one with this opinion. 

Edited by Duodenum
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

After this year, we may see Eriksson gone and a few other contracts out.  Seattle much like Vegas can be bought and GMs are going to be FAR cagier about what they give up after seeing what happened in Vegas.

Less vets mean more kids.  The kids we've drafted and developed over the last 3 years which is precisely what this team and organization needs.

It's all a waiting game for our kids to develop.  The way contracts are currently staggered as well shows that there has been attention paid to who will be paid and when.  Honestly.  This year I am hoping we miss the playoffs but make it exciting for that one last high to mid pick before taking the league apart next year.

This is the exact statement I've made for the last 3 years and I stand by it

but we do need some number of experienced vets to help close out games, can't go full kid. This team is close, but we all knew we'd need near perfect health to be competitive. 

Maybe in a few years the Canucks will have something similar to this lineup:

Hoglander - Pettersson - Boeser

Miller - Horvat - Podkolzin

Ferland - Gaudette - Virtanen

Roussel - Beagle - MacEwen

Madden

Hughes - Myers

Rathbone - Woo

? - ?

Demko

Askarov (wishful thinking)

...with a different coaching staff. We'll look back and chuckle at how the Canucks were relying on Baertschi and Goldobin to make a difference, the same way we might look back and think about Gaunce being our best prospect at one point. We'll look at the coaching staff and realize that Green did help to develop the young guys well. but he didn't have the tools to rally this team into a playoffs juggernaut. Maybe a more experienced coaching staff would know what it takes to have playoff success.

4 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Been a fan since the 90s Batch, starting to lose faith in this current group doesn't mean jumping ship. I didn't have any faith to begin with the last two years. Low expectations were met. Had higher ones this year so I'm more critical of the team with their play having nosedived in November compared to October. 

Let's not start gatekeeping now about what a true fan is or wherever you were going with this. 

It's ok to say the team isn't doing well. This isn't an echo chamber. The Dallas game was terrible, Philly too. Gave up a 3 goal lead to Pitts. They want faith, show some commitment to the details and move your legs like they were doing in October. I'm well past having blind faith, I trust what I see and what I see isn't good right now. I'm not the only one with this opinion. 

If you’ve been following this team that long I’m not sure what to say about that.  And don’t even know what “gatekeeping” means.   Am I the gatekeeper?  Ha ha that means Zool and the marshmallow-man must be next.   Couldn’t help myself. Early 90s or 1999? 

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If you’ve been following this team that long I’m not sure what to say about that.  And don’t even know what “gatekeeping” means.   Am I the gatekeeper?  Ha ha that means Zool and the marshmallow-man must be next.   Couldn’t help myself. Early 90s or 1999? 

Started in the late 90s. Became a diehard after Harold Druken's OT goal against LA in 2001 to send the Canucks to the playoffs for the first time since I had started watching. 

Maybe we can get a new Harold Druken moment this year, the Canucks had been out of the playoffs for the same length of time I believe then too. 

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

No we don't. It's becoming tunnel vision to suggest this as we have shown several various zone entries. Do we do the drop pass still at times? Yes, but so does every team in the league. The same applies to the dump and chase.

Yes Myers had that incident in OT. That one play doesn't define his season. This is a microscope moment because surely every team will have gaffe plays like that. It happens when you're playing a quick paced game on ice.

Yes its fast paced. I play Goal, have played hundreds of games, with far less skilled players, and I have NEVER had any of my D-men crash into me.. Never.. a Defensemans job is to clear the zone OUTSIDE OF MY CREASE, because thats where I cannot do anything to clear rebounds or bodies..

If our D-men just stood outside the crease and swung their stick instead of trying to play my position stopping the puck with their feet or whatever it would work out alot better. Thats coaching.. or something FFS!@

31 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

You're right, every team has injuries... But remember, injuries are a double sided coin... it's 1 side to lose a player, the other side is "who is replacing them"

Yes, Pens lost Crosby, but they have some strong guys able to step in and fill his roll, sort of.

Who is stepping in to fill Sutters pk shut down roll? Gaudette, but lacking defensive prowess and faceoffs

Who is stepping in to fill Motte's energy roll? Give you a hint, it's not Erickson.... its no one

So yes, other teams have injuries, but the Canucks injuries are felt double hard because (Warning sweet rhyme coming) we only have bodies to fill holes... not rolls. 

Got it. So our injuries are different than other teams injuries. So who on Pittsburgh is filling Crosby, Bjugstad, and Schultz roles?

39 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

All this talk about rolls is getting me hungry.

tenor.gif?itemid=7360765

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DADDYROCK said:

I really like how the forwards and goalies are playing but once again the defense is suspect,we could use an upgrade and draft defensemen to possibly get our first NORRIS TROPHY WINNER,in fifty some years.You can see with our ROOKIE (Hughes) just how valuable a great defense man can be.

A rookie is leading our defense,that says a lot about how badly we need an upgrade,then "maybe" we can hold a THREE GOAL LEAD.

We signed Myers for SIX YEARS!!!! ouch.

38 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Nothing wrong with the message of the OP.  I’m sure JB has a more even keel then the CDC too.  It’s a young team still trying to get the ropes.  When the vets he’s being criticized for signing aren’t around things go a little hay-wire.   Go figure.   Not worried one bit.   Three Calder candidates in a row.    Won’t be four but wont complain (when has that ever happened?)...to ANY franchise.  Chill pill dispensary should be mandatory at this point. 

This is how I feel as well. The bigger picture of three Calder candidates is huge for this organization and will pay off in the coming years. Plus Podz and Hoglander aren't here yet. Miller is having a massive positive effect as well. Gaudette is emerging and taking huge leaps, Jake is getting better, Demko is now being tested ... they're all gaining invaluable experience from the adversity.

We have a lot to look forward to after enduring these years since reaching the final in 2011. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Upvote 3

I’m more concerned that we only have a combined 9 wins at overtime and regulation this year in 25 or 26 games and four of the nine were vs Detroit and La.

Injuries are an excuse.

A lot of teams are missing top players and were missing bottom six forwards who are important but would you pick them or top six forwards out?

problem is our defense isn’t that great, name how many truly good to great dman we have? Honestly?

most teams in this league have a few and we don’t, not yet anyway.

Edited by Bertuzzi44ever
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Edmonton? Colorado?

People are so caught in the now, this minute that they fell that learning from the past is not worth the time.

By not learning from the past they can become gamblers, betting on feelings.

Much of the message offered by the Canucks is just enjoy one single game, don't think of a season.

They have sold the mere appearance of being as good as the top half the league is a super success

You say a year and some fans here are saying well what about the other 5 years? Many say ALL the young players, what all three of them, maybe four out of 23?

So many crucified Edmonton for pushing their young player too much and too soon but suddenly it is good for Vancouver? Didn't Edmonton's failures teach a lesson? Oh that's right what happened before doesn't matter.:lol:

Success by Professionals in sports, the ultimate success is to win the last game of the SEASON, lesser successes can happen bu losing more games than winning is a mark of failure. Looking at why those losses happen can be valuable to correct an error. When all the reasons are looked at there is only one constant, the GM.