The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Around the NHL | January (12-18) 2020

Rate this topic

Just now, rekker said:

And fading. Burns is 34 and EK looks like he's 38 in his own end. For a team that is looking like it needs a rebuild that doesn't bode well. I just can't agree with your opinion on EK. I say lets revisit in two years and see where we are at. 

Disagree all you want, you're wrong on EK. 

19 hours ago, stawns said:

Why would he have to answer for a clean hit on a player with the puck?

The first hit was BORDERLINE clean, easily could have been called charging.  The point isn't whether or not it's a clean hit or not, MT left his position to deliberately hit someone who was engaged with another player battling for the puck with the intention to catch Kassian off guard.  It's a play that could have very easily ended with Kassian being taken off the ice in a stretcher.  Kassian rightfully so responded by tossing him around like a dog on a piece of meat.  If MT wants to play that kind of game then he has to expect to pay the consequences.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Disagree all you want, you're wrong on EK. 

Well, time will tell. Even that discussion aside there is collateral damage. Pavelski was a huge, huge part of that team and with the monies given to EK there was nothing left for Joe. Possible animosity in the room? Some argue that Burns hasn't been the same since he is sharing his boss title on D. Was a weird signing really. Wilson goes hard, hard after Tavares, a center. Then settles on a D. A righty they already had with Burns. A Norris guy already playing for them. Now 20 million tied up in one position. I think Wilson overplayed his hand big time.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Man, Detroit is getting thumped again.  Before today their goal differential was -75.  That's over twice as bad as the 2nd worst goal differential.  #obvioustankisobvious #enjoypicking4th 

Have to wonder how glad Quinn is that they didn't pick him.

• Cheers 2

Boudreau said the lineup mistake was entirely his fault.  Donato didn't take warmups and was on the bike when they told him to suit up.  He initially just sat on the bench with the Ds but ended up playing the 3rd period.

Boudreau the day before was joking that Crosby always seems to get 4-5 points in his 1st game back from injury.   He missed 28 games after abdominal surgery.  He had a 4pt night.

Edited by mll

What a difference a year makes...

Pacific Division one year ago 

Calgary--65pts    
San Jose--63pts    
Vegas--60pts    
Edmonton--49pts    
Anaheim--49pts    
Vancouver--48pts        
Arizona--45pts        
Los Angeles--42pts

Pacific Division today

Arizona--57pts  +12pts

Edmonton--55pts +6pts

Calgary--55pts -10pts

Vancouver--54pts +6pts

Vegas--54pts -6pts

San Jose--46pts -17pts

Los Angeles--41pts -1pts

Anaheim--39pts -10pts

By this time last season Calgary, San Jose and Vegas had run away from the rest of the division and finished the season in the same order. Looks like the Cali teams are done barring a major turnaround so 3 spots (and maybe a WC or 2) for the remaining 5 teams. All 5 in the playoffs would make for some great series'.

On January 14, 2020 at 7:57 PM, theo5789 said:

Have to wonder how glad Quinn is that they didn't pick him.

I would argue if they had Quinn things would be a lil different there and I don't ever want to see Quinn in a wings jersey by that big mean right handed German kid, don't get me wrong I wanted that  stud German kid but wings took him so we are even they took our d man and we took theirs ha

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

They’re just too small, too perimeter, and too soft.  

It’s almost like they could have used Brady Tkachuk.

Guess that’s what you get for never drafting decent centres though.

Edited by DeNiro

58 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I would argue if they had Quinn things would be a lil different there and I don't ever want to see Quinn in a wings jersey by that big mean right handed German kid, don't get me wrong I wanted that  stud German kid but wings took him so we are even they took our d man and we took theirs ha

Not sure Quinn changes their fortunes that much, but it certainly changes ours to have that puck moving dman. Seider does look good and I wonder if he were available at our pick if we would've nabbed him. Detroit probably didn't want to trade down and find out. I'm very happy with the Podkolzin pick though.