The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Caps re sign backstrom to 5 year, 46 mill contract

cuporbust

1 minute ago, gurn said:

no where near that.

both are on their entry level deals, so look for bridge deals, close to Boeser's contract.

:lol:

Pettersson is clearly on another level. He'll likely be closer to Rantanen, Kucherov, Eichel, Marner, and Matthews than to Boeser.

It's still early for Hughes, but he looks to be on a similar trajectory.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

:lol:

Pettersson is clearly on another level. He'll likely be closer to Rantanen, Kucherov, Eichel, Marner, and Matthews than to Boeser.

It's still early for Hughes, but he looks to be on a similar trajectory.

Both have restricted bargaining rights with Hughes having even less than Elias.

I'd say bridge deals for both.

14 minutes ago, gurn said:

Hope your right. We have much better chance going for a cup if there both on bridge deals first. bye then most of are overpaid 4th line players will be off the books. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, gurn said:

I think I'd commit to Petey long term. Agree that Quinn gets a bridge unless they want to both sign long term team friendly deals together.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Caboose said:

9.2M is almost identical to the 6.7M deal he signed way back when in terms of % of the salary cap.

11.29% vs 11.28%

Seems like a pretty fair deal to lock down a franchise icon. Guarantee an agent gets him more term and more money.

Almost as if agents are selfish scumbags that really don't help anyone but themselves.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

They have the same bargaining rights as Eichel, Marner, Matthews, McDavid, Rantanen, Hischier, Chabot, Draisaitl etc yet somehow they didn't settle for bridge deals.

Snowballs chance in hell that Pettersson is under 8,000,000.

• Upvote 1

I think that's too much money, and combined with the term, it could hurt in later years. He's a good 1st line player,  just not quite worth that imo. Backstrom is a Caps legend though, so it's good to see him remain with them.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Caboose said:

They have the same bargaining rights as Eichel, Marner, Matthews, McDavid, Rantanen, Hischier, Chabot, Draisaitl etc yet somehow they didn't settle for bridge deals.

Snowballs chance in hell that Pettersson is under 8,000,000.

Not exactly. Hughes like Boeser this past year and Gaudette this coming summer are a lower level RFA where they are ineligible to sign an offer sheet with another team. Cap Friendly lists it as 10.2(c). Not sure what level of RFA most of the guys you listed were, but Marner definitely was not 10.2(c) with all the non stop talk about other teams trying to get him to sign an offer sheet.

I don't know all the levels of RFA, maybe someone else can clarify (I'm too lazy to look it up right now), but I believe there may be a difference in arbitration eligibility as well. Regardless, definitely differences that off the Canucks a slightly higher amount of power in negotiations to get their price. 

I do believe Petey will be closer to those guys then Boeser though. Likely 8-9m depending on the length. Wouldn't be surprised if he got 10m if its a full 8 year deal.

• Cheers 1

The Caps have about $10M in cap space available next year after this new contract kicks in and their biggest FA is Holtby.  Gudas is an important FA for them too but I can't see him commanding a huge deal.  They should be fine although it will be interesting to see what happens with Vrana in the future.  It looks like they should be able to retain him but if he is able to produce at a 50-65 pt pace next season as well, he could be pretty expensive to retain.

If the Caps are in a pinch, they can always look at trading Hagelin or Panik who both have relatively low cap hits for veterans.

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

4 hours ago, gurn said:

Restricted bargaining rights?

You mean like...Rantanen, Kucherov, Eichel, Marner, and Matthews?

12 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Restricted bargaining rights?

You mean like...Rantanen, Kucherov, Eichel, Marner, and Matthews?

2 hours ago, Tower102 said:

Not exactly. Hughes like Boeser this past year and Gaudette this coming summer are a lower level RFA where they are ineligible to sign an offer sheet with another team. Cap Friendly lists it as 10.2(c). Not sure what level of RFA most of the guys you listed were, but Marner definitely was not 10.2(c) with all the non stop talk about other teams trying to get him to sign an offer sheet.

I don't know all the levels of RFA, maybe someone else can clarify (I'm too lazy to look it up right now), but I believe there may be a difference in arbitration eligibility as well. Regardless, definitely differences that off the Canucks a slightly higher amount of power in negotiations to get their price. 

I do believe Petey will be closer to those guys then Boeser though. Likely 8-9m depending on the length. Wouldn't be surprised if he got 10m if its a full 8 year deal.

Tower102's post clarifies things.

10 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Ovechkin UFA in 2 years. He'll be 36, that will be an interesting negotiation...already 71M engaged for 16 players next year, however nobody significant to re-sign beside Holtby.  Not sure he's coming back.

It won’t be a problem you just sign him to value and term and if he regresses he just become allergic to his equipment 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, xereau said:

Ovechkin should sign with the Oilers, and break Gretzky's records with McD and Drai.

He won't, but he should.

PS - this contract is terrible.

Ovi should retire a Cap. 

Also the cap hit percentage is basically identical to his last contract. You get a reliable player and Ovechkin’s linemate and good buddy locked up with term.

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Ovi should retire a Cap. 

Also the cap hit percentage is basically identical to his last contract. You get a reliable player and Ovechkin’s linemate and good buddy locked up with term.

No way he performs at that level tho, likely even thru half the contract.  Its an anchor.

That being said, we have a new CBA coming up, and maybe the owners will finally get their scot free contract termination clause, which really would be best for the game.

I am fine with big contracts, the bigger the better, but you had best earn it.

Edited by xereau
  • Cheers 1