The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

1 minute ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Bumping them year to year doesn't solve any problems; it creates problems in those years. If we want to cover our bonuses for next year we're going to have to be under the cap, which means letting at least one of our UFAs walk (Tanev or Markstrom) and/or paying assets to move a contract. Tell me how that's a good thing?

It's too late for this year. We'd have to dump 5+ million in cap to cover the bonuses for this year. Next year is where we really have to save. I'd rather not mess around when we have to re-sign our two franchise players. That will be a pivotal point for our organization just like how this past summer was pivotal for the Leafs. 

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that the price we would have to pay to fix this problem (moving assets to offload contracts) would not be worth freeing up around 1.5 million in cap space. So I ask you then, would you simply absorb the dead cap space? 

no i would plan to move a contract over the offseason

or buy one out

not sure why you want a simplistic approach to cap management

do you understand what the laffs are doing to manage their cap issues

they are actually quite brilliant

do you know they are spending close to 120 million this season on salaries - legally

quite amazing

not that i agree with their approach

but it is pretty damn sophisticated and big league

• Cheers 1

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Dangerous gamble. The fans will be very unhappy if we gave up a top prospect for a rental in a non playoff season..... 

He’s not a top prospect. B grade prospect. May or may not work out. (I’m a Madden supporter) but sometimes a gamble is worth it. We have key players in our core to build around. This is a different scenario now.

I would have liked to have waited one more year personally before I traded assets but at some point you have to try and win. This is a minor dent in a cupboard full of quality prospects 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Chris12345 said:

Which ones come to mind?

Joffery Lupel for starters...

Out of the fishbowl that is the Toronto sports scene, Lupul took to Instagram to voice his frustrations that he could've continued to play hockey, and felt that the team forced him to fail his medical. Lupul later deleted the post of him snowboarding which emphasized that he was healthy enough to play: “Haha failed physical? They cheat, everyone lets them” 

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

or buy one out

do you know they are spending close to 120 million this season on salaries - legally

quite amazing

They have the advantage of being rich. That's cashflow 101

1 hour ago, Squamfan said:

the canucks are 4 points from missing the playoffs and are making moves like we are one player away from the cup

Lots of teams have won the cup or challenged with rosters not expected to make runs at it. You can lay over thinking the top teams will win the cup every year if you want. Or yo can look at a very weak conference and think with a break you could go to the finals. A couple upsets and you never know what is going to happen  eg. LA or more recently St Louis! 

• Cheers 3

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Alf - some poster here hope to maybe have 2 home playoffs games this year.... or next.

Others like you WANT a  cup  and hopefully a dynasty club.

King in our fifty years we’ve never had a top number one centre and a top number one D man at the same time.  (Well we’ve never had the top D man). And these two great players are extremely young.  Trying to just get into the playoffs by sacrificing assets that could have been used to help these two great players in three seasons when they are mature is just really short sighted.  JB is closing our window for winning a cup before it even gets open.  Why in the hell is he doing this?  

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

Just now, hammertime said:

Joffery Lupel for starters...

Out of the fishbowl that is the Toronto sports scene, Lupul took to Instagram to voice his frustrations that he could've continued to play hockey, and felt that the team forced him to fail his medical. Lupul later deleted the post of him snowboarding which emphasized that he was healthy enough to play: “Haha failed physical? They cheat, everyone lets them” 

oh yea I forgot that one was bad!

2 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

They have the advantage of being rich. That's cashflow 101

nucks are damn rich too

don't fool yourself

this franchise value has almost tripled under aquaman

don't forget about those expansion fees

15 million from vegas

20 million from seattle

Edited by coastal.view

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

or buy one out

quite amazing

Even moving one contract and buying one out let's us just barely break even cap wise assuming re retain our UFAs (because if we don't our team becomes considerably weaker). You're going to have to do better than that. 

Regarding the Leafs, that's exactly what I'm saying. I don't want to be in a position where Pettersson and Hughes' next contracts hamstring us like the Leafs have been this year. In order to do that we need to save as much as possible, like say 1.5 million.