The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I mean. Coleman is having a similar year point wise to Toffoli and has one more year at 1.8mil. But overall I agree we got a far more proven player for much cheaper. I am not saying Toffoli will leave for sure but him being a UFA likely got us a better deal than Tampa paid for Coleman. Even with that said I wouldn't have done more than Foote or our 1st rounder for Coleman. Lol. Not both.

Oh I didn’t realize he had an additional year. It’s not as bad as I initially thought but it’s still pretty bad haha

3 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

When in 50 years other than now has Vancouver ever had futures to trade away? I'm probably not as old as you Alf but I have never seen the cupboards so full to be able to make a move like moving a 4th round pick to sweeten a deal to add a top six winger to our team without hurting our stuffed cupboards of prospects. Maybe you can tell me the time I am missing in out 50 year history please.

I agree that the prospect pool has never been so full or so deep.  And maybe too JB sensed (because of Madden’s need to get bigger, and our top three centres being so young still) that Madden was going to stay in school, mature physically, and go to UFA status, where he could pick a team his chances to play would be realistic?  

You guys are helping me see the blue and green light of good in this trade.  :towel:

now about our coach... :P

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Dangerous gamble. The fans will be very unhappy if we gave up a top prospect for a rental in a non playoff season..... 

so... may as well not try?

This team has the potential of getting back Boeser, Motte, Fantenberg And possible Tryamkin. 

This team is set for a beautiful learning curve during the playoffs.

Just now, luckylager said:

Because part of developing a contender is playoff experience. You acknowledge we have the young pieces. We also have the best prospect pool we've ever had. 

It's a good trade, Alf. I'm loving it more and more with each passing minute.

Were you expecting Miller to make the impact he has? I wasn't. 

Toffoli could add just as much or more to our top six than Miller has. 

Point per game player with physicality? I doubt Toffoli does as much as Miller has for us. But I agree this is a great deal and I can't see why people are looking at this so negatively. Unless Toffoli for whatever reason can't click with the Canucks this trade is a big win.  

• Cheers 1

0 love for Schaller. No wish you the best man? haha

Honestly though he wasn’t the worst. We’ve had worse in our top 9 in recent years -cough- willie D Era

I hope he continues his career in the NHL. And I’m sure he gave it his all in a Canuck Uniform 

Edited by Devron44

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree that the prospect pool has never been so full or so deep.  And maybe too JB sensed (because of Madden’s need to get bigger, and our top three centres being so young still) that Madden was going to stay in school, mature physically, and go to UFA status, where he could pick a team his chances to play would be realistic?  

You guys are helping me see the blue and green light of good in this trade.  :towel:

now about our coach... :P

Its hard to teach old guys new tricks, see the light my friend.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Point per game player with physicality? I doubt Toffoli does as much as Miller has for us. But I agree this is a great deal and I can't see why people are looking at this so negatively. Unless Toffoli for whatever reason can't click with the Canucks this trade is a big win.  

Their career stats are almost identical. Miller has a slight edge.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Hockeyman Benning does a hockey trade.

I feel we just got another Miller-type player. 

I mean:

JT Miller - 26yrs old - 6’1” - 218lbs

494GP - 117G - 177A - 294 Pts

Tyler Toffoli - 27yrs old - 6’0” - 197lbs

515GP - 139G - 151A - 290Pts

...I mean...

Very good trade for both teams. It's a win win trade.

But if JB can get Toffoli re signed here on a reasonable contract it would be a Canucks win. 

I think if it takes  5.5 mill to 6 mill per year for 5 year term JB does it. Toffoli is not the fastest guy I wouldn't wanna go to 7 yrs with him. He'll be 34 by the end of that. Pbbly not be very good the last 2 yrs.

Edit: typo

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

0 love for Schaller. No wish you the best man? haha

Honestly though he wasn’t the worst. We’ve had worse in our top 9 in recent years -cough- willie D.

I hope he continues his career in the NHL. And I’m sure he gave it his all in a Canuck Uniform 

How is it Willie D's fault he had no good players to play in the top 9? Lol. That feels like a management thing. 

5 minutes ago, Me_ said:

so... may as well not try?

This team has the potential of getting back Boeser, Motte, Fantenberg And possible Tryamkin. 

This team is set for a beautiful learning curve during the playoffs.

Great reply but remind him Madden is a B prospect at best

• Cheers 1

Just saw this and assume people are freaking out but I can see the reasoning. The second isn't that big of a deal, hopefully we get it back. Schaller is good to get rid of. Madden does sting but he just got hurt and might be out for the year, making the likely-hood of him staying in school another year pretty high. He's also only 150lbs and may be 3-4 years away, who knows?  After next year we'll have Bo, Petey, Gaudette, Boeser, Pearson, Miller, and Virtanen occupying spots with Roussel, Podkolzin, Hoglander, MacEwen, Lind, any UFA's in two FA periods and now Toffoli.

Not sure this guy makes the NHL right away or at all given his size. Definitely a big price to pay with a favorite prospect, though it definitely could work out really well if he clicks with the team and re-signs a decent contract.

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I think the concern that fans have is that Toffoli is going to be UFA after this season, the chances of him walking is, presumably, quite high. How are the Canucks going to afford his salary and cap hit? He's probably going to want to be paid quite handsomely.