The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cap strategy between now and Summer of 2021 when we have to re-up Petey and Hughes

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

Cap strategy between now and Summer of 2021 when we have to re-up Petey and Hughes

This is my half-assed plan:

2020 Summer:

-Eriksson either retires, or we move Eriksson with Demko as a sweetener to Ottawa for a low round pick.

-Ferland retires

-Boeser is traded for a 1st round pick (we recoup the first that we lost in the Miller Trade).

-We sign Tanev

-We sign Tryamkin

-We sign Virtanen

-We sign Markstrom

-Bye Bye Stecher and Leivo

-Jordie Benn is moved if we don’t have to retain salary

-Baertschi is moved at 50% retention at the end of the summer 

-Sutter is moved at 50% retention at the end of   Summer.

-We sign Gaudette

-We sign Toffoli

-We sign Motte

Miller-Pettersson-Virtanen

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Roussel-Gaudette-Bailey

Motte-Beagle-MacEwan

Edler-Tanev
Hughes-Myers

Tryamkin-Rafferty

Markstrom

NewBackUp

Summer 2021

-walk away from Pearson

-Beagle traded at 50% retention

-Roussel traded at 50% retention

-Sign Pettersson 

-Sign Hughes

-resign Edler, or another shut down dman worth 6 million.

Hoglander-Horvat-Toffoli

????-Gaudette-Podkolzin

????-????-Motte

Hughes-Tanev

(Edler?)-???

Tryamkin-Rafferty

Markstrom

(Demko? Dipietro?)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 4

One thing that I've been thinking about for a bit is that Luongo cap hit. I feel like that is something we can appeal to the league to change much like New Jersey did when they got punished for the Kovalchuck contract. Nobody who was apart of that deal is even here anymore. Why punish us with a cap hit?

55 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

This is my half-assed plan:

2020 Summer:

-Eriksson either retires, or we move Eriksson with Demko as a sweetener to Ottawa for a low round pick.

-Ferland retires

-Boeser is traded for a 1st round pick (we recoup the first that we lost in the Miller Trade).

-We sign Tanev

-We sign Tryamkin

-We sign Virtanen

-We sign Markstrom

-Bye Bye Stecher and Leivo

-Jordie Benn is moved if we don’t have to retain salary

-Baertschi is moved at 50% retention at the end of the summer 

-Sutter is moved at 50% retention at the end of   Summer.

-We sign Gaudette

-We sign Toffoli

-We sign Motte

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Roussel-Gaudette-Bailey

Motte-Beagle-MacEwan

Edler-Tanev
Hughes-Myers

Tryamkin-Rafferty

Markstrom

NewBackUp

Summer 2021

-walk away from Pearson

-Beagle traded at 50% retention

-Roussel traded at 50% retention

-Sign Pettersson 

-Sign Hughes

-resign Edler, or another shut down dman worth 6 million.

Hoglander-Horvat-Toffoli

????-Gaudette-Podkolzin

????-????-Motte

Hughes-Tanev

(Edler?)-???

Tryamkin-Rafferty

Markstrom

(Demko? Dipietro?)

are we aloud to have 2 retained salaries and Spooner buy out and Louigi recapture?

I'd rather keep Boeser at 5.75 M than to sign Toffoli, who will ask for at least 5M. If only way to keep Toffoli is by trading Boeser, then it's a hard no to Toffoli for me. I don't trade Boeser unless it is for a top pairing D-man (or projected as top pairing) in the similar age range or a forward of similar caliber in the similar age group (projected 30 goal scorer on a full season).

First and foremost, we need to trade Sutter and Baer. Both of those guys' has an expiring contract and their cap hit isn't too large so it should be possible to find a trade partner. We probably have to sweeten it with a draft pick. I don't have any hope of trading Eriksson. I would send him to the AHL, although it only saves us $1M. 

Ferland won't retire but he will be on LTIR.

• Cheers 1

plain and simple, the luongo thing should never have been allowed by the league....... not sure about all leagues, but many leagues make it so you can't trade away too many first round picks as you could trade away your next 10 years picks to get veteran players for a 2-3 year run..... showing my age, but i think the catalyst for this was the LA Kings trading for Rick Martin.

i know the NBA salary cap well......... where can i learn about the NHL salary cap?............. is there a luxury tax? is there some sort of $$$$$ hold on first round picks so that you can load up with great free agents and then sign hughes/peterson to 2nd contracts? i believe the NBA has this......... how long must a player play for your team to qualify as the team resigning its own player? again, the NBA has rules on this, players you pick up in february don't count as "resigning" your own player when they sign that summer. 

Canucks really aren't in a Cap problem, there will be money for both Petey and huggy bear, even if Loui is still on the team. They will lose one player in the E. D so that salary will come off along with the expiring contracts. Also they don't need to be signed to 7 or 8 yr deals. The cap will go up drastically 'cause of Seattle in the league and the following year the TV deal will be up which will also be signed to a new massive deal which will increase the cap in 21/22 drastically. 

Don't know why everyone wants to move Boeser for what amounts to nothing. He is a very good player, all players have off or down years or injury plagued yr or 2  each year is different. Unless it's an over payment of some sort he will be kept and should be. 

Again, moving good prospects or up and coming players to move Loui is pointless. Some team may need to get close to the cap floor either this or or his last and with 1.5 to 2 mil retained you move a 3rd pick for a late pick that is all that is needed and if he can't be moved again no big deal, refer to what I wrote earlier as to why. 

The other moves I can see happening in the off season, the Canucks can recoup a 2nd with 50% retained on Sutter and some other type of pick on Baertschi. I feel bad for him as he is a useful tweener in this league, it's just his concussions have maybe cost him nhl games this year but I'm sure he will play next year somewhere and show he usefulness. 

• Wat 1

On 2/18/2020 at 8:22 PM, khay said:

I'd rather keep Boeser at 5.75 M than to sign Toffoli, who will ask for at least 5M. If only way to keep Toffoli is by trading Boeser, then it's a hard no to Toffoli for me. I don't trade Boeser unless it is for a top pairing D-man (or projected as top pairing) in the similar age range or a forward of similar caliber in the similar age group (projected 30 goal scorer on a full season).

First and foremost, we need to trade Sutter and Baer. Both of those guys' has an expiring contract and their cap hit isn't too large so it should be possible to find a trade partner. We probably have to sweeten it with a draft pick. I don't have any hope of trading Eriksson. I would send him to the AHL, although it only saves us $1M. 

Ferland won't retire but he will be on LTIR.

I'd trade Boeser for a top 10 pick in a heartbeat.

• Wat 2

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd trade Boeser for a top 10 pick in a heartbeat.

Why?  What are the odds you get another player that can put up the points he has.

You might end up with someone like Jake - inconsistent, might take 5 or 6 years to come around to be a .5 ppg player.

Edited by Darius
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Darius said:

Why?  What are the odds you get another player that can put up the points he has.

You might end up with someone like Jake - inconsistent, might take 5 or 6 years to come around to be a .5 ppg player.

Boeser has regressed every season.......when he's not scoring, he's simply not that effective of a player.  If you can get a top 10 pick for him, based on reputation, you take it and run, imo.

Scoring is a small part of the game

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1

2 hours ago, KariyaSakicAnderson said:

Canucks really aren't in a Cap problem, there will be money for both Petey and huggy bear, even if Loui is still on the team. They will lose one player in the E. D so that salary will come off along with the expiring contracts. Also they don't need to be signed to 7 or 8 yr deals. The cap will go up drastically 'cause of Seattle in the league and the following year the TV deal will be up which will also be signed to a new massive deal which will increase the cap in 21/22 drastically. 

Don't know why everyone wants to move Boeser for what amounts to nothing. He is a very good player, all players have off or down years or injury plagued yr or 2  each year is different. Unless it's an over payment of some sort he will be kept and should be. 

Again, moving good prospects or up and coming players to move Loui is pointless. Some team may need to get close to the cap floor either this or or his last and with 1.5 to 2 mil retained you move a 3rd pick for a late pick that is all that is needed and if he can't be moved again no big deal, refer to what I wrote earlier as to why. 

The other moves I can see happening in the off season, the Canucks can recoup a 2nd with 50% retained on Sutter and some other type of pick on Baertschi. I feel bad for him as he is a useful tweener in this league, it's just his concussions have maybe cost him nhl games this year but I'm sure he will play next year somewhere and show he usefulness. 

Can't figure how. The clause contracts and expansion will have an impact as well as bonuses.

As far as Boeser moving, you have to trade good players to get good players and with this team still in a rebuild it will have a little more time to bring 3 or 5 more young players into the mix as first or second line forwards or another very good defense man.

Seattle expansion money does not count in the CBA hockey revenue for cap purposes and the players are getting tired of the salary claw back that they finance through esgrow, there was concern they may not bump the cap, and it was the NHLPA that did that, by 5%, if they didn't there would have been on increase this season.

The team might have a total of 18 million to sign all the contracts they need to deal with not counting anything left for Pettersson and Hughes next year

Edited by Lazurus
  • Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

Boeser has regressed every season.......when he's not scoring, he's simply not that effective of a player.  If you can get a top 10 pick for him, based on reputation, you take it and run, imo.

Scoring is a small part of the game

lol...regressed? at worst he has leveled off.  And you should know that part of the reason is because he went from being able to hide behind the sedins in year one to becoming one of the two primary point getters on the team in year two.  Its what happens when you are only 21 years old and basically "you are the guy" and everybody and their dog on the other team zeros in on you.

Funny how you have given jake 6 years to become a semi consistent 40 point guy (maybe) but Brock needs to be shuffled out the door after 3 years because even though he is younger than Jake he wont improve.  Meantime Jake is still developing. Lol.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Darius said:

Or you might get a Larkin or one of the many other high scoring players taken, it is only Vancouver that hasn't had any luck with forwards selected so far, the big exception is Pettersson, they could have drafted Tkachuk or another player in that draft. Some are ready quickly, look around the league at how many youngsters make teams their first or second year.

First round top 15 or so picks that are not cornerstone players are much more rare after 3 years.

Edited by Lazurus

4 minutes ago, Darius said:

lol...regressed? at worst he has leveled off.  And you should know that part of the reason is because he went from being able to hide behind the sedins in year one to becoming one of the two primary point getters on the team in year two.  Its what happens when you are only 21 years old and basically "you are the guy" and everybody and their dog on the other team zeros in on you.

Funny how you have given jake 6 years to become a semi consistent 40 point guy (maybe) but Brock needs to be shuffled out the door after 3 years because even though he is younger than Jake he wont improve.  Meantime Jake is still developing. Lol.

You know it was funny how Edmonton ruined their young players because they expected too much too soon, how is what is happening here different? The pressure to make the playoffs NOW and depend on them for the primary scoring.

Boeser's injuries are the culprit, he has to wrap his bad wrist for every game and then back injuries hurt and can get hurt easier. Edler looks like he has some really good painkillers now, he is hitting way more than he did after his back surgery.

Edited by Lazurus

4 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Or you might get a Larkin or one of the many other high scoring players taken, it is only Vancouver that hasn't had any luck with forwards selected so far, the big exception is Pettersson, they could have drafted Tkachuk or another player in that draft. Some are ready quickly, look around the league at how many youngsters make teams their first or second year.

And look how many bomb.  Sam Bennett, Alex Nylander etc.  Why trade a guy that scored more goals than Larkin did in his first 3 years for the possibility of getting another guy like Larkin.  

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Darius said:

And look how many bomb.  Sam Bennett, Alex Nylander etc.  Why trade a guy that scored more goals than Larkin did in his first 3 years for the possibility of getting another guy like Larkin.  

No injuries, a chance at the overall #1, a chance for, who is that kid on Boston?

No bombs, isn't that why Benning was hired? Should there not have been a late bloomng and often in the doghouse Virtanen, Juolevi and a lot more later round picks should be playing. BTW I like Jake's offensive and defensive game but he has to be careful with his bad shoulder, they are a b@#$h.

Young players can play in the league. There is no rule that states they are not ready until they are 20 or 21, just they may not be as good yet.

And your reason is why they have to deal him because they might be able to get two good players in return. Two that score 20 a year but play the whole year, maybe bigger and faster.

Edited by Lazurus