The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Toffoli | #73 | RW/LW

-AJ-

On 2/20/2020 at 2:36 PM, NUCKER67 said:

It is bold, and the hockey panel guys seem to like the trade. I guess they see it as: can you put a cost on getting Pettersson and Hughes into some playoff experience? Maybe this is all it is, do what needs to be done to get the Canucks into the playoffs, and then it's anybody's game. But then what?

The 2020 Draft the Canucks won't have many, if any, impactful picks (just Rounds 3 and on). Toffoli will probably walk. And if Benning manages to re-sign Leivo, Virtanen, Motte, Gaudette, MacEwen, Stecher, Fantenberg, Tanev and Markstrom  - they'll have the same team as before trading to get Toffoli. lol

Which prospects take the big step next season? Will Hoglander make the team? I have my doubts, and think he'll start his career in Utica. He'll eventually get here though, too skilled not to. Does Juolevi make the team finally? Not sure, he is a man of mystery. Will Kole Lind be the new, bright and shiny toy to get the fans excited about? Possibly, but he'll be relegated to the 4th line, probably.

The Canucks have 2 years to get into the playoffs, why are they suddenly so impatient? 

Your assuming their impatient, do you not think JB talked to TT's agent and TT himself and got a positive answer about staying with us? 

As a GM that's the first question to be asked and I doubt JB just got a "maybe" 

Just because someone says something, it doesn't mean it's true and only Tyler knows the truth and everything else is hearsay, but everyone is jumping on how we can't afford to keep him but I have faith in JB to pull it off, especially since both Lou's and Spooner will be off the books and I for one think that there's enough fans in Seattle to help with revenue and boost the cap up and then there's the tv deal with fox possibly, so the cap rising enough by the time the books are back to par with no bad contracts when Lou's and Spooner are gone especially so we'll actually have enough for 2 top potent lines and supporting cast for a serious run at Stanley but we just got through a rebuild and still need tweaks but have some fun with it, team is going to be fun to watch for years opposed to the agony of the last 4 seasons especially.  

Edited by iceman64

10 hours ago, Provost said:

You hate to see a player lose their sport because of injury, but Boeser had been really sub par even before he got hurt... and if Toffoli keeps being close to this good, it is quite possible that he supplants Boeser.  If there can be only one kept due to cap considerations, do you let Toffoli go for nothing... or sign him and trade Boeser for a huge return?

What? Please explain how you think Boeser was subpar.

image.png.8fa73576f2433bdf4908ff1a0fd8be1e.png

image.png.f31607c3e174dd0ec66039ea59d5b1f7.png

Some posters have been creating that false narrative that Boeser had not been doing well. Facts say otherwise.

I really want the Canucks to sign Toffoli longer term.  And maybe someone needs to get move.

But saying Boeser was subpar is just not correct at all.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Some posters have been creating that false narrative that Boeser had not been doing well. Facts say otherwise.

I really want the Canucks to sign Toffoli longer term.  And maybe someone needs to get move.

Except yearly averages hide the performance within the year.  Boeser was doing fine early in the season, but had been doing poorly over a long recent stretch making folks wonder if he was nursing some sort of injury.

In this calendar year he had 3 goals and 7 points total in 16 games (0.43 or 35 point pace).  More importantly, he was on the 1st unit PP but hadn't scored a PPG since November... he only had 3 points on the power play since November... that is pretty stunningly hard to do.

He was struggling pretty mightily, especially for the prime minutes he was getting on a line with our best players who were still producing through that time.  Compared to Toffoli who was playing only 16 minutes a game on a really crappy offensive team.

October 12 7 7 14 6 6 4 3 0 1 38 18.4 264 224:21 18:42
  November 15 3 7 10 -7 4 1 2 0 1 44 6.8 347 303:46 20:15
  December 13 3 11 14 3 4 3 0 0 0 37 8.1 309 245:12 18:52
  January 11 3 3 6 4 0 3 0 0 1 35 8.6 234 183:50 16:43
  February 5 0 1 1 -1 0 0 0 0 0 12 0.0 105 84:10
Edited by Provost
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Except yearly averages hide the performance within the year.  Boeser was doing fine early in the season, but had been doing poorly over a long recent stretch making folks wonder if he was nursing some sort of injury.

In this calendar year he had 3 goals and 7 points total in 16 games (0.43 or 35 point pace).  More importantly, he was on the 1st unit PP but hadn't scored a PPG since November... he only had 3 points on the power play since November... that is pretty stunningly hard to do.

He was struggling pretty mightily, especially for the prime minutes he was getting on a line with our best players who were still producing through that time.  Compared to Toffoli who was playing only 16 minutes a game on a really crappy offensive team.

None of the evidence supports your claim.

But thanks for the reasoning.

Edit: If the top player in the league ends the league with the most points, but went zero points in 15 games during a stretch in the middle, he is still the best player.  I never understand the narrative you are typing.  But to each their own.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I've noticed the same thing in quite a few comments, even seen a lot of people wanting to trade Boeser off. While he hasn't been nearly as flashy as some people want out of a first line winger, he is doing everything else. His defensive game isn't great, but that's not why he is here. He scores, back checks fine, and can pass well above average for a sniper. Boeser is just going to get better, and should be a constant 80+ point player. Those don't grow on trees...

• Like 1
  • Wat 2

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Edit: If the top player in the league ends the league with the most points, but went zero points in 15 games during a stretch in the middle, he is still the best player.  I never understand the narrative you are typing.  But to each their own.

Except the numbers I quoted are right, so there is the evidence to support the claim,

Boeser had been subpar for a long stretch before he went out.  That is empirical fact.  Your edit point is meaningless because he hasn't ended up with more points.. and if that player (which Boeser isn't) had gone a big stretch without points, he would be playing subpar through that stretch literally by definition.

If you think that it is not subpar to play 120 minutes of consecutive 1st unit power play time with zero goals, when your main job on the power play is to score... then I am very glad you aren't responsible for picking players.  You can also look and see that at 5 on 5 he got more secondary assists where Petterson and Miller were the ones getting the primary assists... and that is a sign that he is much less of a driver of offence than they are and is benefiting by his linemates rather than the other way around.

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Provost said:

Except the numbers I quoted are right, so there is the evidence to support the claim,

Boeser had been subpar for a long stretch before he went out.  That is empirical fact.  Your edit point is meaningless because he hasn't ended up with more points.. and if that player (which Boeser isn't) had gone a big stretch without points, he would be playing subpar through that stretch literally by definition.

If you think that it is not subpar to play 120 minutes of consecutive 1st unit power play time with zero goals, when your main job on the power play is to score... then I am very glad you aren't responsible for picking players.  You can also look and see that at 5 on 5 he got more secondary assists where Petterson and Miller were the ones getting the primary assists... and that is a sign that he is much less of a driver of offence than they are and is benefiting by his linemates rather than the other way around.

Disagree.

I just see it as our own fans crapping on a young player for no reason and your so called evidence holds no water.

Anyway, GCG.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Provost said:

October 12 7 7 14 6 6 4 3 0 1 38 18.4 264 224:21 18:42
  November 15 3 7 10 -7 4 1 2 0 1 44 6.8 347 303:46 20:15
  December 13 3 11 14 3 4 3 0 0 0 37 8.1 309 245:12 18:52
  January 11 3 3 6 4 0 3 0 0 1 35 8.6 234 183:50 16:43
  February 5 0 1 1 -1 0 0 0 0 0 12 0.0 105 84:10

Playing on the third line affected his February numbers, as I think almost all those games were on that unit. He has less of an excuse for January, but December was excellent. I even commented as soon as he was placed on the third line that there would be those who would neglect the difference in third line and first line for those games and here we are.

• Like 2

On 2/26/2020 at 7:42 PM, -AJ- said:

Playing on the third line affected his February numbers, as I think almost all those games were on that unit. He has less of an excuse for January, but December was excellent. I even commented as soon as he was placed on the third line that there would be those who would neglect the difference in third line and first line for those games and here we are.

But what got him to the third line?.. and off the #1pp?

• Upvote 1

On 2/26/2020 at 6:55 PM, Provost said:

kid is 23 and is having a hard time this season, comparing Boeser to Toffoli is a joke  Toffoli is 4 years older and has more experience, same as Miller he has more experience, Boeser is one of our players who we were excited for him to be a Canuck.  and now we have some new toys, lets just kick him to the curb. but hey it is Bennings decision not ours

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

But what got him to the third line?.. and off the #1pp?

Jake Virtanen playing out of his mind in what I suspect was only supposed to be a mid-game stint on the first line.

The PP I don't have an answer for.

23 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Jake Virtanen playing out of his mind in what I suspect was only supposed to be a mid-game stint on the first line.

The PP I don't have an answer for.

Perhaps a bit of both AJ ?

it seemed like BB became a bit stale or telegraphed in his game .. maybe linked to his rib cartilage, to me , although his effort level was extremely high, he was fighting through something.

That type of injury takes the strength off your efforts without effecting your effort level.

Im sure we’re going to have an awesome lineup when he is back 100%. 

On 2/26/2020 at 6:43 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

Actually, Provost evidence does support his claim. Its pretty easy to read, do you want him to bold the numbers for you? He said Boeser has struggled the last 15 games, he brought up the numbers. I didn't even need to see the stat sheet to know Boeser has been struggling the last 10 plus games before he got injured, just watching the game, theres something off with his game whether he's just missing his shots, chemistry with the Gauds, injury etc. He's looked nowhere elite in those games

Wheres your evidence that Provost is wrong? Oh thats right, you just like to talk tough and act like you know better than everyone else.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bree2 said:

kid is 23 and is having a hard time this season, comparing Boeser to Toffoli is a joke  Toffoli is 4 years older and has more experience, same as Miller he has more experience, Boeser is one of our players who we were excited for him to be a Canuck.  and now we have some new toys, lets just kick him to the curb. but hey it is Bennings decision not ours

Im not kicking Boeser to the curb by any means, but if you're watching those games before Boeser got injured, you have to be honest with yourself, he HAS been struggling. The best thing right now, hoping at least is that brock comes back healthy and scoring again, because we need him AND Toffoli in the top 2 lines for a hopefully long playoff run

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, bree2 said:

The argument isn't about kicking him to the curb, it is some folks not wanting to admit he has been struggling... even with the black and white evidence in front of them.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Actually, Provost evidence does support his claim. Its pretty easy to read, do you want him to bold the numbers for you? He said Boeser has struggled the last 15 games, he brought up the numbers. I didn't even need to see the stat sheet to know Boeser has been struggling the last 10 plus games before he got injured, just watching the game, theres something off with his game whether he's just missing his shots, chemistry with the Gauds, injury etc. He's looked nowhere elite in those games

Wheres your evidence that Provost is wrong? Oh thats right, you just like to talk tough and act like you know better than everyone else.

I am trying to be done with time vampires who just troll nonsense.

Boeser has been struggling the last while for sure, maybe it was injury, maybe it was something else.  Coaches don't demote players from the top line to the 3rd line because they are playing great and producing.  It doesn't mean he would struggle forever or is a crap player.

Toffoli in the same roster spot has had pretty much the same production in 4 games as Boeser had in 16 games since New Years.  That is a good thing for us.

Hopefully when Boeser gets back he finds some chemistry on the line he is put on and starts producing again.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1